Extended Warranty

HornedToad

I'm about to reach the end of my 36,000 mile manufacturer warranty on my 2013 F350 6.7 diesel. No problems so far.

This is my first diesel truck since the 1980s and I normally do not buy extended warranties, however, after reading some of the horror stories on the forum about the high cost to repair diesel engines I think it needs to be considered.

Should I buy an extended warranty? Do I stick with the Ford warranty or look at other vendors offerings?

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I second Bill, go with the ford esp. Google it, there is a dealer up in the NE that offers them a lot cheaper than most dealers down here can or will.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RoadJunkie

My Ford truck is the only vehicle where I have bought the ESP warranty. After 3 years I am a little better than break-even. I got a good deal on the warranty, a bit over a grand, so I would probably purchase another. "Experts" say it's a bad investment, however.

GOTTOYS

Ford warranty. Don't even consider anything else. Those other companies go out of business at the drop of a hat, taking your money with them. Ford warranty is good at any Ford dealer, no hassle....Don

Tundra2084

We just purchased a 2012 Ford F350 XLT Diesel with 57,000 kms(roughly 35,400 miles) on it from a Dodge dealership here in Ontario Canada. We were not offered a warranty from this dealership and have been looking for one but with the cost of $4500 for a 3 yr warranty from ford and limited to only an additional 60,000 kms this seems extremely expensive. We don't put that many kms on our trucks, last one putting only 30,000 kms on it in 2 1/2 yrs.

Question is what should we do, pay the ransom prices the Ford dealerships up here are asking or go to a third party company? We would prefer to use Fords warranty but not at the price they are asking out of pocket up front.

HornedToad

I listened to the collective wisdom of the forum when I traded my SRW for the F350 DRW, and ya'll were right. So I am taking the forums advice to purchase the Ford ESP...
I was @ 36,000 miles on my 2013 F350 6.7 diesel and to extend the warranty to 5 years / 100,000 miles was going to be $2,018 for the Powertrain Plan covering 29 components (engine, tans & axles) and $2,998 for the Premium Plan covering 1000+ components (everything). I opted for the Premium Plan, $299 down and $112 per month for 24 months no interest.

I remember the F&I guy at the dealership pushing the extended warranty hard starting out in the $5,000 range and after I declined several times he cut it down to about half, but it was going into the note with interest. I figure I came out ahead buying it now and I'm going to consider the $100 a month to be cheap insurance so I don't have to worry about the repair bill for a catastrophic engine failure!!!

Thank you!

Congratulations on your purchase of a Ford Extended Service Plan

jassson007

Who did you end up going through. I did the interest free thing but only for 5 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jassson007

007, I bought mine straight off the ford.com website, I checked the link above and it did offer better pricing of several hundred dollars by comparison.

I was just curious. I bought my one for my '08 through them and it paid for itself. I hope I don't have any problems with the '14 I have now but if I do I know it should be taken care of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HornedToad

007, I'm joining the ranks of the full timers next week, moving everything to storage this weekend to close on the 31st. It will be early next year before our new house is built and I'm already set up in an RV Park about a mile from work to stay at in the meantime. I told DW to pack light because we'll be on the move tailgating this fall. This will be the test to see if my plan to travel full time at retirement is doable?

At least now I won't have to worry if the truck breaks down!!!