Upcoming Dodge/RAM/Jeep Recall

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Thanks for the info Malcolm - and guess what, my truck in included in the recall.

AAdams

Our truck should fall in to the recall. Another thing to add to the list of defects.

Jim.Allison

Our truck should fall in to the recall. Another thing to add to the list of defects.

The software manipulation addressed by this recall required unique and extensive technical knowledge, prolonged physical access to a subject vehicle and extended periods of time to write code.

No defect has been found. FCA US is conducting this campaign out of an abundance of caution.

- - - Updated - - -

Further, FCA US has applied network-level security measures to prevent the type of remote manipulation demonstrated in a recent media report. These measures – which required no customer or dealer actions – block remote access to certain vehicle systems and were fully tested and implemented within the cellular network on July 23, 2015.

'Lil Guy'

Could be worse. It could be a Chevy where they don't address their recalls and are now selling being audited for selling pre-owned Chevys and still not fixing the problems with the ignition that has killed over a 100 people.

danemayer

Total of 3 RAM 3500 recall notices today. One on the radio security and 2 separate airbag recalls for inadvertent deployment.

avvidclif

The software manipulation addressed by this recall required unique and extensive technical knowledge, prolonged physical access to a subject vehicle and extended periods of time to write code.

No defect has been found. FCA US is conducting this campaign out of an abundance of caution.

- - - Updated - - -

Further, FCA US has applied network-level security measures to prevent the type of remote manipulation demonstrated in a recent media report. These measures – which required no customer or dealer actions – block remote access to certain vehicle systems and were fully tested and implemented within the cellular network on July 23, 2015.

That is absolute corporate BS. They have a problem and are being forced to admit it. The two that found it are not malicious (????) but when they release their data to the hackers conference, who knows.

Jim.Allison

I love my RAM, and I have faith that RAM is doing everything they can to keep my truck running and secure. The first Chrysler product that I have ever owned, and it is the best vehicle I have ever owned. - Happy trails

MTPockets

My comments from a personal perspective. My careerinvolved dealing with annual, multi-million dollar contracts with the bigthree corporate purchasing, as well as other industries. I engaged inthis for over 30 years and the bottom line was always the same. Theautomotive industry is very tough and hard core, basically it's "my way orthe highway”. There were countless "quality programs" under variousnames over the years involving supplier input, endless meetings, but it wasreally about control & manipulation. This forced some suppliers tofall in line with pricing demands and those suppliers would accept pricingterms and contracts, then internally, find ways to cut costs in order to make aprofit. This worked to a point, but as evidenced with recalls for faulty parts,some go too far. I blame the autocompanies for these outcomes due tho their management styles. The absolute worst was General Motors. Theunnecessary waste over the years could have been averted had they learned tobetter listen to their suppliers. Chrysler was next, but this was before Fiatwas involved, and Ford was the better of the three and most logical regardingtheir demands and expectations. This, I believe is reflective of their overallprofitability and corporate financial strength. GM and Chrysler needing bailouts while Ford handled finances better, Ibelieve, because of better decisions over the years and corporate culture ofactually using best practices and suppliers who didn’t cut corners due to thepressures imposed. Not to say Ford hasn’thad issues, but the scope is much less than GMC and Chrysler overall. I’m not really surprised to see this Fiatrecall nor the GMC problems.

olcoon

I bought a Dodge because of the Cummins engine. I've owned all of the big 3, and don't really have any complaints about any of them. I do like my Dodge though. I also liked my Chevy & Ford!!!

TxCowboy

I just installed this recall / update from the RAM website. Takes about 15 minutes and a 4 Gig thumb drive (USB drive). Download the patch, extract it to the thumb drive, and plug the thumb drive into the USB port in the truck. Takes your keys because when the patch extract is complete, the patch will ask you to start your truck to transfer your data (radio stations, settings, etc.) from the old software version to the new software version.

Again, 15 minutes tops and you're good to go. :)