DIY AC Replacement

Hookem59

The bedroom AC in my 2011 Sundance 3300CK is down hard, and I suspect it may be nearly as expensive to repair as it would be to buy a new unit. Has anyone here replaced one themselves? It doesn't seem to be too complicated of a job, but maybe I'm missing something?

bighorn3370

I think the biggest thing is the weight of the AC. Lifting it up will your hardest thing. With a front one, you can lower the front jacks all the down. That should help with the height.

brianharrison

I have used a truck backed up to the nose of the 5th wheel with landing legs fully retracted, a doubled up 2x8 across the box rails, two friends standing on the 2x8s and lifting the AC up to me on the roof.

Brian

Garypowell

I added a bedroom A/C to my last BH and it was really easy. you have to make sure you have a breaker for it but that might be a no brainer....but you might check just to be sure.

Just recently I had my main a/c replaced on the road under warranty and the tech was on the roof a helper on the ground and they hog tied the box and simply pulled it up the latter with the rope. The guy on the ground went up the latter as the box moved up. they then unboxed on the roof....and box was the protection.

The only thing that has not been mentioned is to simply put the unit in place....no caulk or glue. When you torque down the bolts from the inside you'll get the seal you need. And I would torque the bolts you don't want it to be lose and you don't want to crush your ceiling.

Hookem59

Thank you for all the great tips. We've just about made it through this summer's trip. Although the RV has gotten warm during some of these hot Florida days, the living room unit has kept us comfortable for the most part. Replacing the bedroom unit will probably wait until the spring.

justafordguy

It's super easy to replace, 4 bolts from the inside hold it down and the power cable just plugs in. Takes about 30 minutes total once you get the new unit on the roof.;)