Project LM 365

danemayer

Thanks, l will be in a few hours.
Let me put this question out there.
) Whats the best way to break in a new motor and trans ??

I've always been tought to do a variety of different speeds. For example, do 55 mph for a while then 70mph for a while then 30 and so on and so on.

I want to hit the raod and set the cruise control but 2000 miles at 75mph probably isn't the best way to break it in...

What do you folks think ?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Jerrod,

I had to dig through the manuals for our 2014 RAM to find this information, but the Diesel Supplement had a warning buried deep in the book not to tow at all for the first 500 miles, and then for the first 500 miles of towing, not to exceed 50 MPH. As I recall, the main break-in message said no break in was necessary.

Attachments

• RAM Break in Trailer Towing Diesel Supp.pdf
    233.2 KB · Views: 8

billk263

California-South Chapter Leaders
Thanks, l will be in a few hours.
Let me put this question out there.
) Whats the best way to break in a new motor and trans ??

I've always been tought to do a variety of different speeds. For example, do 55 mph for a while then 70mph for a while then 30 and so on and so on.

I want to hit the raod and set the cruise control but 2000 miles at 75mph probably isn't the best way to break it in...

What do you folks think ?

My thoughts are varied speeds up to 55 mph for the first 500 miles. The first day will be rough doing that. I would suggest taking the back roads for the first 500. Make an adventure out of it so you won’t go crazy from driving under 55.
Can’t wait to see the new truck! Oh and you and Rhonda too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Thanks Dan and Bill.
This truck won't see 55mph much unless I'M in a 45mph speed zone.. LOL

My plan is to very my speeds and take it easy today.
Tomorrow will be another story :)

Bones

I had a tough time reaching 500 miles before my first big tow. I just took it easy and kept the speed around 55mph. I like the suggestion below to take some back roads at first then hop on the highway.

Bones

I saw the pictures Kelderman posted. Truck looks great. I forgot to ask if you got the stock ride height? Can you lower the front too when the rear gets loaded?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I saw the pictures Kelderman posted. Truck looks great. I forgot to ask if you got the stock ride height? Can you lower the front too when the rear gets loaded?
Yes front up down and everything in between. But only one set ride hight for traveling.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Most of the trucks I have owned were bought used but I did order a 1998 GMC with the 7.4L gas motor and was told to vary my speeds and not to tow for the first 500 miles. My present 2010 Ram 3500 with the Cummins diesel and was told that no break-in was required.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Thanks Jay.

I'm almost at 300 miles today and have had a variety conditions and multiple speeds. So I'm calling it BROKE IN !!!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I will give a small reviews of the 2020 F450 with the Kelderman suspension.

The massive power matched with the 10 speed trans was unbelievable !! I can't wait to hook it to the Landmark and drag it up a mountain. I'm still learning how to work the suspension control system and trying to figure it out. As for the ride there were times that I was blown away about how smooth this F450 truck rode and times that I feel that my F350 road as good. I think it has a lot to do with the F450 Tires and wheels. The true test will be when DW gets in and we are hooked up and rolling.
The trip home was taking it easy for the first part of the day and I was bucking a heck of a headwind. The truck started out at 10 MPG and kept going up.
Day 1 was 750 miles and went up to 15.8 MPG average. Taking easy on the break-in of the truck.
Day 2 I did 1300 mile hammer down 20 hours with a few stop running 65 to 75 mph most of the way home, some times 80 mph. It tops out around 90 mph. It ended up with a end result for the 2,050 miles with a average MPG of 14.8 I know It will get better in time.

Towing with the 4:30 gears and the 10 speed trans, the mileage will be a lot better then my F350 was. We will see soon.
0aa5c3085c8492c82a4712a16cab62ea.jpg

2c62291c6d79b7f61b01898946d3ba9f.jpg

49760e1a09564761a4443194d5abd53d.jpg

084ba3c80bbd1bb2ec353e2c0254cc32.jpg

All the way up

4dd6a77d60853c6e1b9d4e9ffef37c03.jpg

All the way Down

778f21ad9a6438b1402f7aa904460b0c.jpg

jbeletti

I think after a 1300 mile towing day, we can also call you "Towmaster".

Love the look of the new truck and can't wait for a more comprehensive review of the full-air suspension once you get it all figured out, get your truck tire air pressures optimized and get some towing in. Of course, it's all about the WAF (wife acceptance factor). Here's wishing you a high WAF :)

TahoeCamper

Founding Nevada-North Chapter Leader-Retired
Jerrod, Awesome new tow vehicle. Thanks for the pictures. Hope to see it soon, congratulations again :cool::cool:!

Oregon_Camper

Jerrod....at a very high level, what is the advantage of adding the Kelderman system?

I have airbags on the back of our F-350, but from what I can see, your front is also lifted...???

BTW....Yep, super jealous of your 2020 F-450. We just bought our retirement home in Sisters Oregon (about 30 mins from Bend, Oregon), so I'll be putting the F-450 purchase on hold for a bit. :(

Flick

Truck Looks awesome. I will patiently wait until we see it loaded and how it looks.

Very nice. We had thrown around getting the 450 but decided back around Christmas to settle on getting its little brother, the 350. Lol. Enjoy.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Very nice. We had thrown around getting the 450 but decided back around Christmas to settle on getting its little brother, the 350. Lol. Enjoy.
My F350 was amazing. But this turning radius on the 450 is a game changer.
So don't ever drive a F450 until your going to buy it !!!!