Project LM 365

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Where did get the fitting compartment?

I am sorry to say this question will never be answered. As this amazingly kind and very talented "MOD" man has recently passed away. :( We will all miss him, our Prayers go out to Candy and the rest of the family. He is probably up there now installing motion light in heaven.

- - - Updated - - -

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Just received my Centramatic balancers to put on the RV. Unfortunately they are to close for comfort to the brake caliper.
Bummer !!!
Looks like they will be going back. :(
ebadad8e1db0a6728b38a272aa594686.jpg
9e7109376e8b10bb8f48ad72ced32329.jpg
56a86699c2981bd0f7c4543372b2b9b9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jbeletti

I am sorry to say this question will never be answered. As this amazingly kind and very talented "MOD" man has recently passed away. :( We will all miss him, our Prayers go out to Candy and the rest of the family. He is probably up there now installing motion light in heaven.

- - - Updated - - -

Paul's MOD talents were impressive. When we camped next to him a couple years back at the Lake Havasu, AZ rally, I only then found out how talented he was. And I'd known him for a couple years up to that point. He will surely be missed by so many Heartlanders that knew him better than I did.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Have you considering putting in shims?

I called Centramatic this morning and discussed it. He is sending me out 4 shims free of charge. He said they are about 1/8" I this that will do the trick for now but we will have to look at it again when I install new brake pads.

i wouldn’t recommend any shims. With the weight and turning stress you want that rim as close to the hub as possible. Just my opinion.

Thanks RickL, I did consider your opinion and looked at everything closely. I don't think the 1/8" will be a issue at all. The other thing I looked at was the stud length, I will still have about 3/4" of threads on the studs maybe a bit more.

We will see how it works out when they get here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bones

Jerrod,
The centramatic rings. Are you placing them on the trailer tires? Is this inplace of having the tires balanced or do you still need them balanced?

Dave

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Jerrod,
The centramatic rings. Are you placing them on the trailer tires? Is this inplace of having the tires balanced or do you still need them balanced?

Dave
Dave yes I am trying to put the on the trailer. I have srewed up a few tire in the past (leaf spring suspension) and at almost $700.00 out the door for the last Goodyear tire I figured I need to do something better. I was getting a choppy wear pattern on the tire and that tire is way off on balancing it. We put about 12 ounces of balancing weights on yhe inside of it. We also tried rotating the tire on the wheel and it was worse. I'm hopeing the Centramatic balancers will solve this problem..

You can run them in place of balancing your tires but doing both is better.

2ed24b11489e27ead525064ceada9047.jpg
21bb7935d23916039ccfcb607b68562e.jpg

RickL

Dave yes I am trying to put the on the trailer. I have srewed up a few tire in the past (leaf spring suspension) and at almost $700.00 out the door for the last Goodyear tire I figured I need to do something better. I was getting a choppy wear pattern on the tire and that tire is way off on balancing it. We put about 12 ounces of balancing weights on yhe inside of it. We also tried rotating the tire on the wheel and it was worse. I'm hopeing the Centramatic balancers will solve this problem..

You can run them in place of balancing your tires but doing both is better

As alternative you could try balancing bags in the tire. We used them in many semi’s when we ran service calls out on the road. They seem to work well although I’m old school when it comes balancing. There are two planes when it comes to balancing, first is static which takes most of the up and down movement (layman terms) out of the tire. The other is dynamic which addresses the side to side movement, usually you can tell as wheel weights are hung on both side of the wheel flange.

If you rotated the tire 180° on the wheel and the balance didn’t change much (1oz) then I would have dismounted the tire and checked the wheel runout a long with the balance. Not real often, but I have found wheels are the culprit in the wheel/tire assembly taking too much weight. However in this instance where you state the tire is cupped it may be next to impossible to real get the tire back into a reasonable balance.

The one one alternative is to take the tire/wheel assembly to a commercial tire dealer that has a retread plant. They can send the tire into their retread plant and round the tire. Yes you lose some rubber, but they just take off the high spots. We used to due that quite often when the driver had to lock up panic stop especially on new tires or new retreads. We even took out the ground down section and replaced it with a new section of rubber, then after curing we would send it back across the buffer to round the tire.

Oh, just so I’m transparent, I’m not totally against centramatics, just not a huge fan. I’ve seen them “lockup” creating the problem you originally were trying to solve.

esscobra

check wheel axle places that will " true " the tires - do this all the time with large 4x4 tires so the are manageable on the road they maybe able to shave minimal off the tire to get it balanced without a lot of weight

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

As alternative you could try balancing bags in the tire. We used them in many semi’s when we ran service calls out on the road. They seem to work well although I’m old school when it comes balancing. There are two planes when it comes to balancing, first is static which takes most of the up and down movement (layman terms) out of the tire. The other is dynamic which addresses the side to side movement, usually you can tell as wheel weights are hung on both side of the wheel flange.

If you rotated the tire 180° on the wheel and the balance didn’t change much (1oz) then I would have dismounted the tire and checked the wheel runout a long with the balance. Not real often, but I have found wheels are the culprit in the wheel/tire assembly taking too much weight. However in this instance where you state the tire is cupped it may be next to impossible to real get the tire back into a reasonable balance.

The one one alternative is to take the tire/wheel assembly to a commercial tire dealer that has a retread plant. They can send the tire into their retread plant and round the tire. Yes you lose some rubber, but they just take off the high spots. We used to due that quite often when the driver had to lock up panic stop especially on new tires or new retreads. We even took out the ground down section and replaced it with a new section of rubber, then after curing we would send it back across the buffer to round the tire.

Oh, just so I’m transparent, I’m not totally against centramatics, just not a huge fan. I’ve seen them “lockup” creating the problem you originally were trying to solve.
Thanks for the info.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

check wheel axle places that will " true " the tires - do this all the time with large 4x4 tires so the are manageable on the road they maybe able to shave minimal off the tire to get it balanced without a lot of weight
Thanks I've thought about this but hate to loose rubber, but it is what it is !!!!!

porthole

Retired
My first set of 17.5's were not balanced. Never noticed any issue. Purchased mounted and balanced wheels and tires from the shop in Edon, Ohio.

My second set of 17.5's were installed by a Goodyear Wingfoot dealer. They used liquid tire balancer in all their bigger tires.
https://www.liquidtirebalance.com/liquid_tire.htm

My current set of 17.5's are not balanced.

Can't tell the difference between any of them.

On a side note, I tried the Liquid Tire Balance (above) on a set of the 17.'s on the truck.
The tires were 'un-balanceable' and 4 rear tires were replaced.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have been getting a lot of horrible cupping wear randomly around the tires. According to the tire shop and the internet it's caused from out of balance and or bad shocks. This is all from the leaf spring suspension and the Joy Rider shock system. I think a big part of it in the speeds l travel also. The new MORryde IS should solve this problem however I still need to save a few new tires that were already cupping before the IS was installed. 1 was to faw gone and so i replaced it but im hoping to save the other.

CoveredWagon

I've installed Centramatic tire balancers on my rig. I was told rv tires are seldom if ever balanced. At the diameter of these tires and the speeds we travel it doesn't take much to throw them out of balance.

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
I'm curious as to what tire pressure is being ran in these Goodyear's 17.5 and if that has anything to do with the way the tires are wearing, some say run the max 125 pounds, some say run 110 PSI what is a good PSI on a 8000 pound Axel?

carl.swoyer

I'm curious as to what tire pressure is being ran in these Goodyear's 17.5 and if that has anything to do with the way the tires are wearing, some say run the max 125 pounds, some say run 110 PSI what is a good PSI on a 8000 pound Axel?
I think it depends on which Goodyear tire you have.
Mine are the 16 inch g614 series with maximum cold PSI at 110 however I've started recently compensating and letting my cold temp be 100 so that when I heat up during the day while driving I don't exceed 110psi.

Update,
Just off the phone with Goodyear tech support.
I'm going to return the psi to 110. Cold. This is what I have always done. And yes the additional PSI over the 110 is factored in. They are supposed to be sending me reference to this subject.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Last edited: