Does this need to be replaced?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Was just rinsing out the fresh water tank and all the trailer plumbing before getting ready for a trip.

We've been getting a white foam out of the faucets and decided to flush everything.

So when I pulled this out of the water heater:

WaterHeaterRod-P1000288.jpg

. . . it was all covered with white sludge as was the opening that this came out of.

I rinsed it off before I took this shot, but I'm not sure if this has any life left in it or should I just replace it!

Looks to me like I should replace it . . .

Funny, we've only camped six nights in our new trailer, so wondering if this is normal for this piece.

Also, do I need to get this at an RV shop or can I get it from Lowe's or Home Depot?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
John. did you flush out the W/H tank?? I tried to get the "anode rod" at Lowes with no luck. I had go to my local RV store. They have different styles and prices. So take the old one with you. How badly was the rod eaten up??

Last edited:

JohnD

Yes . . . I'm out flushing the system as well as the water heater right now.

As you can see in the photo, it has lots of pits all over it, and at the end by the threads, it is kind of thin.

I think I will take a drive up to Camping World (closest place) to get a new one this afternoon.

This one makes me nervous . . .

WaterHeaterRod-P1000288.jpg

Click on photo to make larger, then click on it again to make it even larger yet!

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
No need to replace yet. Still has lots of life. Its not thin. You should have seen mine last summer.
It's a sacrificial rod to protect your tank. The material you saw on the rod and probably if you flush your tank is minerals from the water. As the rod does its job you'll see a lot more of the underlying core. When you see that think about replacing it. I replaced mine last summer after because the core was exposed after spending time out west. When we returned this year and it looks about like yours but I did flush out some sediment from the hot water tank due the hard water experienced out west and up in Alaska and Canada.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mrsfish

John, we had this same thing this summer. Someone (thanks Dan) reminded Rick that it is easy to forget checking your anode when you have a new rig. We pulled ours on our 3 year old rig and the rod was almost gone. Ordered a couple from Amazon and added that to our annual to-do list.

JohnD

How about at the one end by the threads where it is notched?

Should I worry about that breaking off and falling into the water tank?

danemayer

John,

I've attached the information from the Suburban manual. You still have a lot of life left in that anode rod. Suburban would have you replace it annually, or if it ever looks like the 75% worn example.

Good idea to have a spare on hand.

Attachments

• Suburban Water Heater Anode Rod.pdf
    173.4 KB · Views: 48

brianharrison

No - there is a steel reinforcement rod throughout the anode length.

I would estimate your anode rod has 80-85% remaining. Fully consumed the only thing that is left is the 1/4" steel rod and the threaded plug end.

Brian

JohnD

John,

I've attached the information from the Suburban manual. You still have a lot of life left in that anode rod. Suburban would have you replace it annually, or if it ever looks like the 75% worn example.

Good idea to have a spare on hand.

Thanks Dan . . . that diagram is excellent!

And thanks everyone else, too!

Guess I'll go out and get it all hooked back up as we leave next week for Blue Mesa!

Just sold the 5 BlowMax's and wheels from our old Trail Runner just minutes ago . . . so today is a good day!

Now if only I can figure out a way to install the MaxAir II.

wdk450

I took a wire wheel brush on my drill to my anode rod when I did the water heater flush to remove the gunk the OP described. As long as there is zinc in place on the rod to be eaten up by the water acids corrosion, your steel tank liner is being protected. On the other hand, a new anode doesn't cost much. Your choice.

BTW, I found the water heater flusher tool makes a great hose end for filling your fresh water tank. Multitasking!

water heater flusher.jpg

jnbhobe

John that flush rod works great ( I made one 20yr ago out of a piece of supply line) and as everyone said your anode rod is still next to new.

JohnD

I cleaned off the rod and installed it back into the water heater, then put fresh water through the city water inlet and flushed everything out, then I also drained and flushed out the fresh water tank, then filled it up about halfway and flushed out the water pump a couple of times.

No more white foam coming out of the faucets.

I'm wondering if maybe the dealership didn't flush out the lines very good when they dewinterized it.

Wmnmy

Yes you have plenty life left check it about 7-8 months from now then u will need to change it ...... I usually get a year with the hard water in Las Vegas and Arizona ....

buddyboy

Plenty of life left. We get our replacements at either Home Depot or Lowe's for $20 or so. Our CW doesn't routinely stock them.

JohnD

I took a wire wheel brush on my drill to my anode rod when I did the water heater flush to remove the gunk the OP described. As long as there is zinc in place on the rod to be eaten up by the water acids corrosion, your steel tank liner is being protected. On the other hand, a new anode doesn't cost much. Your choice.

BTW, I found the water heater flusher tool makes a great hose end for filling your fresh water tank. Multitasking!

View attachment 39247

I'm gonna have to get one of those . . .

brianharrison

No more white foam coming out of the faucets.

I'm wondering if maybe the dealership didn't flush out the lines very good when they dewinterized it.

I have similar white foam for a while after de-winterization if I do not flush ALL pink antifreeze, even dead legs like low point drains, outside taps, washer and dryer taps, etc.

My thoughts are if the pink antifreeze is left in these dead legs it slowly migrates (diffusion mixing) back into the regular flowstream of clean water. The pressure drop across the faucet nozzle creates the foam due to the low concentration of antifreeze being in the water stream. If that makes any sense.

Brian

Birchwood

It looks like new.Replace it when you have 25% remaining.Depending on the water quality it should last a couple years.Most RV supply stores have various sizes to purchase.

RAHanock

I have found that if I leave water in the hot water heater for a few weeks, that there often is a bad hydrogen sulfide smell as the water leaves the faucet and upon examining the tank found what looks like white milk curds in the tank. If I drain the tank between trips, this does not occur. Apparently when the water sits for weeks this contamination builds up from the Arizona water we use. So I always drain my tanks now. Otherwise the DW won't go camping...