2014 Big Country 3900 FLP - Mod to front lounge - scratch one sofa...

truckmen

Hello all,

For the last several days, we've been busily preparing for the "BIG Trip" across country (Maine to West Coast to Florida) beginning September 11 and part of that preparation is to doing some modifications to our BC. So I thought I'd share some of the work we are doing to make our 5er more to our liking. I think that these ideas may help others with their plans too.

This particular modification entails removing one of the 2 tri-fold sofa beds and in its place installing a computer desk with two filing cabinets. I built the desk from 3/4" finished ply sanded, stained and varnished in Early American stain to match the existing woodwork in the BC. It is fitted into - and fills - the slide with 77" wide, 28" deep panel.

The two filing cabinets are from Staples and are $40 cheapies (for now). I have cut them down to fit under a 28" high desk. The desk comes up just under the bottom lip of the larger middle window.

For aesthetics and some function, we are also adding decorative table legs. Six are going in with four positioned on each side of the filing cabinets while 2 more are towrd the rear where they are still partially visible. In the far corners, where there will be no visibility, I am going to just install some 2x2s for support.

While we were at it, we upgraded to a slighter deeper-pile and lighter shade carpet for the entire lounge to match the carpeting we installed under the new desk. We had to since we are concealing the wiring now exposed by the removed sofa.
Since we replaced the carpet, we also went with a new carpet under-layment that we fell is a bit better quality.

Included here are some random photos of our mod. I will post some more details of our work and materials as time permits.

DSC_0733.jpgDSC_0732.jpgDSC_0784.jpgDSC_0786.jpgDSC_0789.jpg

TxCowboy

Ralph, looks good! Is there an adequate number of 120 AC outlets in that part of the unit to power your computer, monitors, and printer?

truckmen

Hello Jeff and Laurie,

I am still working on that. So, for the time being, I am running off the outlet located just behind the left recliner with a UPS and power bar. The UPS will hide behind one of the filing cabinets and the power bar will come off that and hide behind the other.

Ralph

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wow! That's what I envisioned. But now I see the floor isn't flush from the slide to the main floor. How will you solve that for sitting at the desk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Could make a small platform to sit level to the slide for the rear legs of a chair. Or shorten the front legs of a four-legged chair to make it level.

TravelTiger

Could make a small platform to sit level to the slide for the rear legs of a chair. Or shorten the front legs of a four-legged chair to make it level.

I have a 30x48 chair mat for under the desk for my (rolling) office chair, and I still manage to roll off it onto carpet. I think a box at the same height as the slide would have to be pretty big.

JohnDar

I use one of our (non-HL) folding chairs at the desk of our 3670. Had a rolling desk chair, but it didn't like having the recliner behind it.

TravelTiger

I use one of our (non-HL) folding chairs at the desk of our 3670. Had a rolling desk chair, but it didn't like having the recliner behind it.

Aha! We removed a recliner. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441339879.314773.jpg

JohnDar

Aha! We removed a recliner. View attachment 39820

I would, too, but I'd be outvoted 3 to 1. Two of the votes would be from the feline constituency. Same reason the sofa is still here. But the folding chair is actually pretty good and more comfortable than the original dining chairs we had.

Hello all,

For the last several days, we've been busily preparing for the "BIG Trip" across country (Maine to West Coast to Florida) beginning September 11 and part of that preparation is to doing some modifications to our BC. So I thought I'd share some of the work we are doing to make our 5er more to our liking. I think that these ideas may help others with their plans too.

This particular modification entails removing one of the 2 tri-fold sofa beds and in its place installing a computer desk with two filing cabinets. I built the desk from 3/4" finished ply sanded, stained and varnished in Early American stain to match the existing woodwork in the BC. It is fitted into - and fills - the slide with 77" wide, 28" deep panel.

The two filing cabinets are from Staples and are $40 cheapies (for now). I have cut them down to fit under a 28" high desk. The desk comes up just under the bottom lip of the larger middle window.

For aesthetics and some function, we are also adding decorative table legs. Six are going in with four positioned on each side of the filing cabinets while 2 more are towrd the rear where they are still partially visible. In the far corners, where there will be no visibility, I am going to just install some 2x2s for support.

While we were at it, we upgraded to a slighter deeper-pile and lighter shade carpet for the entire lounge to match the carpeting we installed under the new desk. We had to since we are concealing the wiring now exposed by the removed sofa.
Since we replaced the carpet, we also went with a new carpet under-layment that we fell is a bit better quality.

Included here are some random photos of our mod. I will post some more details of our work and materials as time permits.

View attachment 39257View attachment 39258View attachment 39259View attachment 39260View attachment 39261

Hi there - how did you resolve the issue with the step up to desk and seating? We have a 2015 Big Horn FL and I've considered doing the same mod - the raise in floor is an issue...