Fed up with dealership

farside291

All right, I wasn’t going to say anything because I don’t like to bad mouth a dealership without giving them fair chance. I dropped of the Fifth wheel 4 weeks after purchasing to resolve some mostly minor issues with the exception of the kitchen slide not going in or out evenly. I dropped it off on October 7[SUP]th[/SUP] 2014 and the unit was not completely fixed until the middle of February 2015. Went to pick it up and was faced with a pair of dead batteries and the worn out home theater sofa they said they fixed still wore out from being on the lot and numerous people sitting on it, one of the glass cabinet doors had the glass replaced and a bead of white RTV ¼ inch sticking out around the glass. That’s just two of the items they didn’t fix but told me they did. After a lengthy discussion with manager of Explore USA in Fort Worth explaining to him that I was told to just hook right up and drive the away. I explained the consequences of dead batteries and the emergency braking system. He just kept saying “I don’t have the vocabulary to describe what I feel.” he promised the items would be fixed to my satisfaction within a week. So, I picked up the unit 1 week later new sofa, glass fixed as well as everything else and put it in storage. Later this year, in May, I needed to check on the unit after a hail storm. While I was there I would pick up the32 inch Toshiba flat screen that originally was in the upstairs bedroom and I replaced with a 42. I lifted the bed to get the TV and noticed a rattling sound, extended the slide and low and behold dog food under the bed. Now I’m thinking darn Rats. Took the TV out and to my surprise the dog food was coming from inside the TV. Someone from Explore USA filled my TV with the dog food from my pantry. An entire gallon ziplock bag full of Blue Buffalo. OK, everyone can stop laughing. I called the Manager back and told him about the dog food. He tells me on the phone “I don’t have the language to describe what I feel.” I asked him if he got after his service people for not fixing my unit correctly and he said maybe. I said well, they took it out on me. I knew there wasn’t a darn thing I could do so I let it go, after all the TV still worked and everything else to my knowledge was fixed. Jump to July 4[SUP]th[/SUP] weekend, had the camper plugged in and everything is working until I went in the storage compartment the day before leaving for San Antonio. There, standing, is a half inch of water on the entire floor of the compartment, that’s a lot of water. Pulled the wall down to the UDC and there is the leak, right at the fresh water input to the UDC. It was tight but still leaking. Took the fitting loose and found the cone washer installed backwards. Yes, they changed the Anderson valve for a problem with the fresh tank filling, and pump cycling. Then they put the washer in backwards. When I brought the unit in I told them the pump was bad because I had already trouble shot it. Anyway, check one of my other threads for that, I am still overfilling my fresh tank. Even then I wasn’t going to say anything. Until today, I found the black corrugated plastic on the bottom of the trailer hanging down. I crawled under and found a big X cut in the bottom of the trailer. Remember I mentioned the kitchen slide not gong in or out straight. They changed the parts and instead of removing the material they cut it, all the way across left to right and 4 foot both direction for and aft and left it. They could of at least taped it up. That’s the kind of workmanship I have been dealing with from this dealer ship. I will never bring my unit to them again. Sorry for my rant.
Bill Nabors

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hello Bill,
I bought our first Landmark from Explore RV and found their service department was lousy. The Explore RV dealership we used was in Georgetown which is now closed. The owner of Explore RV did respond to an E-Mail I sent him via their website. You might want to explain what happened to him because if he is unaware he cannot do anything to correct it. I really think he is on the up and up but has some lousy employees. Good Luck.

scottyb

You will figure out that the best way to keep your sanity and your RV is to learn how to make repairs yourself. ExploreUSA is just like any other dealer and at the mercy of the severe skilled labor shortage going on in Texas right now. I am dealing with this labor shortage myself, in the construction industry. I wouldn't trust any dealer to make simple repairs to my RV, these days. Sad but true.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Bill, so sorry to hear, but glad you shared so those in North Texas can be aware. ExploreUSA is a large volume dealer for Heartland in Texas. But if their service after the sale is like this, it's something to take into consideration before making a purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

I encourage people to post their experiences on RVServiceReviews.com.
I also encourage prospective buyers to check out RVServiceReviews.com on the dealer before buying.
And finally, many of us on this forum favor independent RV servicers small businessmen. They live off of their servicing reputation and speed, and not off of sales of RV's. Heartland will do warranty claims with any servicer you choose, as long as you call Heartland Service department and get it approved in advance.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I encourage people to post their experiences on RVServiceReviews.com.
I also encourage prospective buyers to check out RVServiceReviews.com on the dealer before buying.
And finally, many of us on this forum favor independent RV servicers small businessmen. They live off of their servicing reputation and speed, and not off of sales of RV's. Heartland will do warranty claims with any servicer you choose, as long as you call Heartland Service department and get it approved in advance.

That reminds me to recommend Blue Moon Mobile RV Repair, they service the DFW metroplex. They are located in Carrolton, and you can take your rig to them, rather than pay for mobile service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donr827

I have a reliable and honest rv repair place I use.......Don

farside291

Thanks for the replies. I am in east Texas right now so will definitely look up an independent repair facility.

farside291

Here is an update I just spoke to Hartland they are going to let me get an independent repair facility and have the repairs done while I'm in East Texas they're also going to ship me a new water pump to fix my water pump problem bravo for Hartland customer service coming through again.

farside291

Any other independent repair facilities you all trust? I would like to know your recommendations. For now I am going to gorilla tape the coroplast back together and have it fixed correctly when I get back home.

farside291

I just got off the phone with Blue Moon RV repair and explained to them the problems I was having with Explore USA. They were really surprised that a service tech would cut the coroplast instead of removing it. I spoke with Heartland and they said that time was included in the warranty to remove and reinstall the coroplast and that under no circumstances were you to cut it. But, this is just one of the things that was done incorrectly by taking a short cut. Makes me worry about everything else they "fixed". I know I can't keep my dogs away from the television:rolleyes:. Just gotta smile and roll on! I'll get it all fixed eventually.

jmgratz

I just got off the phone with Blue Moon RV repair and explained to them the problems I was having with Explore USA. They were really surprised that a service tech would cut the coroplast instead of removing it. I spoke with Heartland and they said that time was included in the warranty to remove and reinstall the coroplast and that under no circumstances were you to cut it. But, this is just one of the things that was done incorrectly by taking a short cut. Makes me worry about everything else they "fixed". I know I can't keep my dogs away from the television:rolleyes:. Just gotta smile and roll on! I'll get it all fixed eventually.

It is alot easier to cut it than take all the bolts out to drop it. Most Repair shops will cut it and tape it back. Even Gorilla tape will not hold permanently.

danemayer

Front section of coroplast can be removed in 1 piece. The rear section may be more problematic. Take a look at yours and see if the coroplast is trapped by the rear cap. The other end is probably trapped by a frame cross piece.

farside291

They made the cuts all the way across right under the hydraulic ram for the kitchen slide and front yo back about 4 feet. If they would have taped it I would have never known. I guess even their short cut had a short cut. I didnt know that stuff is $140/sheet

jmgratz

They made the cuts all the way across right under the hydraulic ram for the kitchen slide and front yo back about 4 feet. If they would have taped it I would have never known. I guess even their short cut had a short cut. I didnt know that stuff is $140/sheet

I taped a cut I had to make on mine with black Gorilla Tape. I then sprayed the Gorilla Tape with the sealer (As Seen ON TV) to seal it and keep it from blowing off. So far it has worked like a charm.

farside291

I know why they cut it. Thats one big sheet of coroplast! I will spray my gorilla tape repair with that as seen on tv stuff. Thanks every one.

rxbristol

Any other independent repair facilities you all trust? I would like to know your recommendations. For now I am going to gorilla tape the coroplast back together and have it fixed correctly when I get back home.

Darren of My RV Works. One of the most honest most hardworking persons I know. He services North Central Texas around Wichita Falls. Here's his web site: http://myrvworks.com/

farside291

Yup, the manager doesn't deny it but doesn't believe it either. I know no one stepped foot in the RV after I picked it up from service except me...and I didn't do it. Who thinks of doing stuff like that.