B&W Turnover Ball w/ 20K Companion Hitch

'Lil Guy'

Is anyone using this hitch on a new Ram 3500 4X4 DRW? I had one installed and the minimum height seems a bit tall. Looking to upgrade to a smaller BH in the near future. Again, if anyone is using this setup, please let me know how it's working for you.
Thanks in advance.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Frank, we have a 2010 ElkRidge, and with our new (to us) GMC, it had a turnover ball so we got the B&W Companion. Ours rides a tad high, even on lowest vertical setting of the support arms. You might try the forward-most setting for the arms, as I read it tends to lower the nose a tad. We haven't tried that yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Lil Guy'

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow and take some measurements on pin box heights on the BHs. It looks like I could cut an 1 1/2" off the bottom and redrill some holes. I'd have to relocate the upper hole on the angled side toward the middle to use all 4 bolts. I can use 3 of the existing holes in base and side plates but have to bolt them up and drill the 4th in a new location threw uprights and base. I don't think that would hurt the integrity of the hitch. I could always order new uprights with the bushings if needed in the future. The hitch looks solid but I dob't like the way it latches. The handle doesn't actually lock closed and seems to be held closed by the lock pin. But, it brought my rig home with no problem. I guess it's just new to me and I'll get used to it.

I need to lower it more than a tad. I think 2 inches would be perfect but if I did that, I would have to start moving metal on the back of the base in the center to clear the hitch.
Thanks for the reply.

IronJ

The latch handle is actually locked in...when installing you you torque down a bolt on the companion that prevents the pin from disengagement. ..when I had it in my 250 , even on the lowest settings I was a tad nose high..

It is a 4x4 ...these new trucks are way high...!..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

IronJ

The problem is, if you lower both the kingpin and the turnover all the way down you leave way less than the recommended 6" of bed rail clearance. ...I didn't feel that was a worthwhile compromise...

'Lil Guy'

Don't you have some adjustment left on the king pin?
I have the 5th airborne pin box and its up as high as it can go
My hitch is adjusted at the bottom which is 1 3/4" higher than my curt was. Also, when you pull the handle to engage the hitch pin, there isn't a positive locking. The handle can just be operated back and forth. However, when it wraps around the pin, you drop in the locking pin so it can't open. My curt handle would lock without the safety pin. You had to pull out on the handle to release the hitch. I'm going to cut the bottom of he uprights off to use the second set of holes as the bottom holes. I'll lose one hole on the angled side and just redrill that hole threw it and the base.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Frank do a pull test with just the jaws wrapped around the king pin without the locking pin. Leave your landing gear down but you will be surprised. As far as your height issue I can't help as my 4wd ford I have mine mounted in middle holes height and front to back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronJ

I have the 5th airborne pin box and its up as high as it can go
My hitch is adjusted at the bottom which is 1 3/4" higher than my curt was. Also, when you pull the handle to engage the hitch pin, there isn't a positive locking. The handle can just be operated back and forth. However, when it wraps around the pin, you drop in the locking pin so it can't open. My curt handle would lock without the safety pin. You had to pull out on the handle to release the hitch. I'm going to cut the bottom of he uprights off to use the second set of holes as the bottom holes. I'll lose one hole on the angled side and just redrill that hole threw it and the base.
Doh...I though you were talking about the other pin holding the companion portion in the bed.....

Yeah no...there is no manual lock per se on the handle...without the pin it will still lock and require opening with the handle...it won't pop open....I secure my brake safety cable to the pin so I never forget to put it in....

'Lil Guy'

Re: B&W Turnover Ball w/ 20K Companion Hitch

Doh......I secure my brake safety cable to the pin so I never forget to put it in....

That's where I put my brake cable also. I'm sure the hitch is jam up but I'm not used to it yet. Thanks for the reply.

- - - Updated - - -

Frank do a pull test with just the jaws wrapped around the king pin without the locking pin. Leave your landing gear down but you will be surprised. As far as your height issue I can't help as my 4wd ford I have mine mounted in middle holes height and front to back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTI'll do the pull test next time I hook up. I always do but with the pin installed. The kind of hitch pin and rig could have something to do with the height issue. The Rams are a bit taller than others

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I secure my brake safety cable to the pin so I never forget to put it in....

That is where I should attach my brake cable . . .

The very first time out with the Prowler, I unhooked the truck . . . but forgot to unhook the brake cable!

Took me a few minutes to get it working right when it was time to roll out.