camping near del rio

jimtoo

Auu,,,, San Antonio???:D

There is just not much out around Del Rio. North of Del Rio on past Comstock is Seminole Canyon State Historical Park. Nice place to spend a day or so if you like being out and away from everything. There are probably some nice places on Lake Amstad, but we have never been there.

Check them out here. http://www.drchamber.com/play/visitors/accomodations.html

Jim

I just put 5 pictures from Seminole canyon on the HOG (jimtoo) site if you want to look at a couple of the camp sites. They do have a nice display in building, but be prepared to walk if you want to see anything. And I forgot about Ft Clark Springs, Thanks StevieWonder.

Last edited:

StevieWonder

Ft. Clark Springs in Brackettville ... about 30 miles east of Del Rio on US90.

www.ftclarksprings.com

See another thread here to get more particulars.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=5200&highlight=Brackettville

There are other good spots at Lake Amistad, location-wise, but I'm not sure about them all. I do know most are dry camping spots out by the lake on the Federal park land. There are other spots NEAR the lake but not ON the lake that are commercial camp grounds with full hookups.

Here's the Federal link for camping:
http://www.nps.gov/amis/planyourvisit/camping.htm

And here's the list for Val Verde County ... Del Rio is the county seat an includes the south and east lakeshore.

http://www.hikercentral.com/campcounty/Texas_Val_Verde.html

Last edited:
I was born and raised in Del Rio. I know, hate to admit that but.......we stayed at the Holiday Trav-l park outside of Del Rio near the lake and it was pretty nice. There's others out that way too but don't remember the names. Those would be good if you're going to spend time at Lake Amistad or the dam or go to Mexico. We like being outside of town and near the lake and you can take a short trip to Langtry to see the Judge Roy Bean historical site and the Pecos bridge. Del Rio also has a nice winery in town. Other than that, Fort Clark Springs would be the best bet. It's pretty desolate out around Del Rio. The lake and shopping and partying in Mexico is really nice and that's the only reason we go there except for my mom and brother that still live there. Enjoy.

StevieWonder

Did you know the Higgins family in Brackettville? They owned the bank, the movie theater and, I believe, the "general" store? I knew the kids and I think the dad's name was "Pinky" but don't quote me on that.

I was a T-38 instructor pilot at Laughlin and my daughter was born in the base hospital. We LOVED Del Rio and the Lake. It's grown up a bit, even has name-brand franchises like McDonald's and Burger King now. Used to be all locals. Ate a TON of Mexican food at Memo's and The Mexican Kitchen (was right across the street from Memo's but the building is no longer a restaurant. The "Super Chalupas" there was something to behold).

Last edited:
Not sure about the Higgins family in Brackett. I did go to Brackett quite a bit though and dated a guy from there for a while. My husband was a crew cheif on the 38's and we were stationed there twice. My son was born in the base hospital at Laughlin too in 1986. Memo's got flooded in 1998 but they have built it back up. The best Mexican food I've had in Del Rio is at Don Marcelino's and they're in the process of building a second restaurant. If you eat in Mexico, go to Manuel's or Lando's. The lake has filled back up really nicely and it's a beautiful lake. Last time we were there in March, they had a motorcycle rally, three bass tournaments and a charro's bull riding all on the same weekend. It was a sight to see all those people from everywhere there.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Brand & Steve,

This thread is supposed to be about camping in Del Rio not eating in Del Rio...ahem....None

C'mon Guys, you are KILLING me here!!!!! I've been stuck on the east coast for a couple of years now playing the VA boogie...and starving to death for some real food! :confused:

I've gotten so desperate, that I'm making my own flour and corn tortillas...and a enchilladas. :(

So you got a choice:

1. Either get back to camping:mad:

or

2. SEND ME SOME FOOD!!!!:rolleyes: And,. I ain't picky...some chalupas would be good, or some Flautas...or some gorditos....a couple of burritos would hit the spot...two gallons of menudo would be nice....I could use some barracho frijolies and corrnbread with jalapenos.....some cracklin bread with black eyed peas....a couple of pounds of cabrito would tide me over...:D

Help a guy out here!!:eek:

Last edited:

StevieWonder

You can't camp if you can't eat. :D

I'm still championing Memo's ... GREAT location on the creek and GREAT food. Either way ... some excellent Mexican food choices in Del Rio. Chinese ... not so good! ;)

StevieWonder

My husband was a crew cheif on the 38's and we were stationed there twice. My son was born in the base hospital at Laughlin too in 1986. Memo's got flooded in 1998 but they have built it back up.

Your son was born in a different hospital. My daughter was the LAST baby born in the old, WW2-era, wooden hospital. The next day, they moved into the new hospital which is where your son was undoubtedly born.

I was stationed there when men were men and women were glad of it! i.e., a LONG time ago.

The big '98 flood wiped out everything on the San Felipe creek, including Memo's and the Mexican Kitchen. Memo's made it back ... the Mexican Kitchen died and the building is a convenience store.

LOVE Lake Amistad ... great striped bass fishing, great water skiing and excellent skin diving. One of the best kept secrets in Texas.

That's true about the skin diving, SW. They say there's been sightings of catfish as big as humans right under the dam. Don't know about that but I've sure seen plenty of gars that big. Hey Lefty, I learned how to make tortillas too when we were stationed in Okinawa because I missed them so much. I made my rendition of menudo with chitlins too when we were there. I remember we couldn't find corn tortillas so we ended up finding some in a can in some kind of water that were just awful. That's when I decided to make my own. I'm sure things have changed since then and you can probably find all that stuff now though.

Back to camping in Del Rio..........you don't want to camp at the Air Force marina unless you turn your rig around the other way because we had zero shade when we were there because we faced the west. Boy, was it hot without shade or trees or grass. They really need to do some upgrading there. The other place we stayed, Holiday Trav L park was pretty nice and had a pool which you will need in the summer in Del Rio.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
You can't camp if you can't eat. :D

I'm still championing Memo's ... GREAT location on the creek and GREAT food. Either way ... some excellent Mexican food choices in Del Rio. Chinese ... not so good! ;)

Chinese/Vietnamese/Thai REALLY good here...Mexican food made by some guy from Honduras...blech!