Security camera with interesting possibilites

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
All, I just discovered this Kickstarter funded company about to launch a new completely wire-free camera. It looks very promising. I am thinking of using it to keep tabs on the rig when we are not there. Since we have a wireless network inside the coach, it should be able to work whether we are on the road or at our home park, as long as we have an active internet connection. I like also the fact it has a temperature monitoring function. And, no additional monitoring or storage fees.

The Blink Camera connects wirelessly to the "Sync Module" that will then connect to your personal wifi network -- then to the internet -- to be viewed via smartphone.

http://www.blinkforhome.com/

• HD video
    720p HD video capture ensures that you get a clear view of your home or business, with minimal distortion or blurring.

• Motion detection
    Blink's feature-rich system includes a motion detector; when armed, any detected motion triggers the recording of a short video clip.

• Instant alerts
    Quickly receive a push notification or email alert with a link to the video attached, so you can decide how to respond.

• Live View mode
    Easily access on-demand video streaming through the Blink app.

• Instant On
    With Blink’s Instant On feature, video recording starts within a fraction of a second, so you’ll get a clear look at who or what triggered the alert.

• Temperature sensor
    Easily monitor the temperature in your home, and customize Blink to alert you if it gets too hot or too cold.

• Night vision
    Blink's LED illuminator, coupled with advanced low-light performance of our proprietary technology, ensures that you'll see what’s happening, day or night.

• Built-in microphone
    A built-in microphone allows one-way audio access, so you can both see and hear what’s happening at home.

dlw930

I've been thinking about getting a system to monitor temperature (or power outage) in our coach to alert us of AC/furnace malfunctions when we leave the pets alone during the day. Sounds like this might work if we had wifi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Looks promising. Were you able to get any cost on a system?
Don

It's not available yet, they are beta testing now. If you pre-order (there's a link on the website) it's $79 for one camera and sync, plus $10 shipping and handling. Other configurations available too.

wdk450

Is this system using WiFi data continually, or just when there is an "event"? Most of us with mobile cellular WiFi couldn't afford the data usage.

TravelTiger

Is this system using WiFi data continually, or just when there is an "event"? Most of us with mobile cellular WiFi couldn't afford the data usage.

My understanding is when it is activated/armed, and the motion detector triggers, it records a 4 second video. It sends you a text or email telling you, and you can choose to view that video. The way it sounded, it is not a data hungry event. Now you can choose to view the camera in "live view" which would be a continuous feed, and that could be data intensive if you did it often.

I also read you can adjust the sensitivity of the motion detector to keep pets from triggering it.

About 6 months ago I purchased a wireless security system through Walmart called OPLINK. I got 3 door sensors a motion detector and a wireless siren for $190.00. I can add cameras when ever I want. It doesn't have a temperature sensor. It will notify me on my cell phone in case of a alarm. I really like this system.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

MTPockets

I ordered one that sounds very much like this one from www.ring.com - it requires a wireless network and I assumed it would work simply with my Verizon data plan.. Wrong assumption. It does need a wireless network, other than the Verizon hot spot. After talking with Ring while I was trying to set it up, it was decided that I would send it back. Traveling via RV meant I could only get it to work when there was a Wifi access and that's erratic, so back it went... It would be great for home use or anyone who stays in one place.

TravelTiger

I've been researching wireless security systems. There are quite a few monitored (for a fee) and unmonitored types out there.

LiveWatch, Simplisafe, Scout, iSmartAlam, to name a few. They all have pluses and minuses.

Dennyha

I am impressed with it as well. I preordered one as I like that there are no monthly fees for cloud storage.

TravelTiger

I finally received my Blink cameras today. At first the setup was a breeze, but then I had some "network busy" errors. I spent a long time going in circles trying to solve it, when really I think it was my online backup software trying to hog the upload bandwidth.

That said, I'm impressed with the cameras!

Be warned, Blink has had a rough time getting these to market and delivered into the hands of consumers. There are some features that are not operational yet.

They've also had issues with their fulfillment partner, and shipping has been very slow. (FedEx SmartPost).

So, order with patience. ;)