Could there be no inverter in a 2011 Sundance?

rickylynne

We just took possession of a 2011 SD 305ES. After we got back from our first weekend trip, we asked why the TV didn't work when not hooked up to electricity. At first they thought it had something to do with a bad RFI outlet and said they'd check it out while other work was being done. Today we were told that we don't have an inverter and gave us a cost of $2650 to install one.
Is it possible that this fiver came without an inverter? Is this a reasonable charge for one? Am I missing something?
Thanks for your guidance!
Ricky

danemayer

Hi Ricky,

Other than for Residential Refrigerators, I don't think any Heartland RVs ship with an inverter to convert 12V DC battery power to 120V AC. They do come with a Power Converter that does the opposite: converts 120V AC into 12V DC to run the 12V DC appliances and keep the battery charged.

Inverters come at various price points depending on what type you buy, and how many watts of output power you want. Keep in mind that your battery will only supply so much power when you camp without shore power. The refrigerator's electronics along with the water heater's electronics, and a few lights will run down a typical battery relatively quickly. And if your furnace kicks on to keep you warm, that will really suck down the battery power.

Pure sine wave inverters from Amazon.com are pretty inexpensive. No idea what your dealer is proposing for $2650, but maybe he thinks you want to do something exotic.

rickylynne

Thanks, Dane.
Do you suppose the problem is that we have a residential TV instead of one intended for an RV? Would any of our outlets work off battery, e.g., to change a phone? This issue took me by surprise.

Last edited:

GWRam

Thanks, Dane.
Do you suppose the problem is that we have a residential TV instead of one intended for an RV? Would any of our outlets work off battery, e.g., to change a phone? This issue took me by surprise.
All the TVs I have seen inside campers have been residential TV. You can find 12V tv if you would like to install one in your RV. You won't have a large selection to choose from I don't believe. And you'll have to run a 12V power source to it. The USB/120V outlets in our unit are just that 120V outlets with USB ports. You can wire a 12V cigarette plug outlet and use a USB adapter in that. You may have a 12V cigarette outlet on the faceplate where your antenna booster power switch is.

danemayer

Thanks, Dane.

Most TVs found in these RVs run off 120V AC only. Our bedroom TV runs off 120V but is a Jensen TV that has an external power supply that can be used with either 120V AC or 12V DC. But to use the 12V DC side, I'd need an adapter and a 12V DC power outlet near the TV, which I don't have.

If you want to boon dock for more than short periods, you'll probably need to consider a solar array or generator, additional batteries, and an inverter of appropriate size to convert the 12V to run the TV and any other 120V appliances.

rickylynne

Sorry to be dense, but this is all new to me. Does that mean that few people in RVs watch anything on their TVs when they are not connected to shore power? Just those who have installed inverters or those who have 12V TVs? IF you answer this, I'll promise to leave you alone ;)

Edit: Sorry I got out of sequence. Thanks for your responses, Dane and GWRam!

danemayer

Sorry to be dense, but this is all new to me. Does that mean that few people in RVs watch anything on their TVs when they are not connected to shore power? Just those who have installed inverters or those who have 12V TVs? IF you answer this, I'll promise to leave you alone ;)

There are plenty of people who like to get out into settings where there is no power. From what they have posted on this forum, I'd say that many have inverters and alternative power sources to recharge their batteries, and yes they may watch some TV. There are probably others who enjoy looking at the stars or sitting around the campfire, who don't care about TV.

If you want to watch TV, and you don't have shore power, you have to do some extra things to make it all work. You might want to browse the Solar Power Sub-forum here for ideas on what others have done.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

That would be us. If we're dry camping somewhere, there is more to do outside than watch the "boob tube" inside or outside like some do.
I don't watch it that much even when hooked up to shore power. The DW has her favorites though but even still it's so little of her time.
Now a full timer will reply differently.

Currently in Myrtle Beach at the beach!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickylynne

Travelin2 - We are planning to go fulltime and are thinking about occasional distractions for rainy evenings. I realize my posts make me sound like a shallow TV-addict. I was just amazed that what seemed like such a simple question had such a complex (i.e., $2650) answer ;)

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Travelin2 - We are planning to go fulltime and are thinking about occasional distractions for rainy evenings. I realize my posts make me sound like a shallow TV-addict. I was just amazed that what seemed like such a simple question had such a complex (i.e., $2650) answer ;)

I have to say some noise on a rainy evening would be welcoming regardless. Even though my post indicates I'm far from a TV junkie, I have entertained the idea of a converter for the same purpose. In fact it's on my mod list for perhaps this winter and I have no intention of spending 2K!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

$2650 needs a lot of detailed explanation. Even at $120/hr for labor, what the heck is your dealer planning on doing that would possibly cost that much? Maybe if he was installing a solar array, 4 expensive batteries, a large inverter, and a bunch of wiring. But $2650 for an inverter? You should get a 2nd opinion.

Lots of us watch TV. Lots of us have satellite in our RVs. And DVRs. It's just a personal preference.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I would run away as fast as I could on the $2650 price. You could buy a genset, a good extension cord for less than 1/2 that. You could boondock and still have 120V to watch TV, Yes all newer RV's have 120V TV's. We even have DirectV in ours for the dog (Callie likes the animal plant) and grandkids (cartoons). It keeps them QUITE.

CarterKraft

For that price you could do allot of damage. A little Honda inverter generator will give you a bunch of juice for $1100.

Inverters are pretty cheap these days as well. I will say though these "mods" do cost allot. I think that is why there is such a sense of pride with those that perform them.

Gaffer

Get the Honda 2000 watt generator. It is quiet and will power your TV and other small loads. It will not run your AC. For that you need two and the parallel kit.
For that price you could do allot of damage. A little Honda inverter generator will give you a bunch of juice for $1100.

Inverters are pretty cheap these days as well. I will say though these "mods" do cost allot. I think that is why there is such a sense of pride with those that perform them.

merrie

Thanks, Dane.

All the TVs I have seen inside campers have been residential TV. You can find 12V tv if you would like to install one in your RV. You won't have a large selection to choose from I don't believe. And you'll have to run a 12V power source to it. The USB/120V outlets in our unit are just that 120V outlets with USB ports. You can wire a 12V cigarette plug outlet and use a USB adapter in that. You may have a 12V cigarette outlet on the faceplate where your antenna booster power switch is.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

scottyb

Rickylynne, you need 120V to watch your TV. That can come in the form of electrical hookup, a generator, or inverted power. Inverted power requires that you have the storage capacity (batteries) to provide 12V power to the inverter, to sustain for a specified amount of time (your choice). Then you need the means of replenishing the batteries, either with a generator or solar. Just remember, it takes approximately 10 amps DC to equal 1 amp AC. A 12V marine battery only has about 45 - 50 usable Ah. Therefore, assuming you have a very high efficiency inverter, it can only supply 1 amp of AC power for 4-5 hours to stay above 50% discharge.

I really think the inverter would be a waste without a generator and/or a moderate size solar system to accompany it.

Crumgater

From my understanding, only the top luxury models (Landmark, Bighorn, Big Country) come with inverters (and even then, I'd double check).

We use a Honda EU2000 to power our 120v outlets (including DirecTV box, TV, and phone chargers) - but not the A/C or microwave, we have to be plugged in to run the 'big' stuff.

If all you need is a phone charger for short trips (<1 week) - I'd get a rechargable battery pack.

If you want TV's and all the bells and whistles (including microwave) when not plugged in - you'll need an inverter and some extra battery storage. And probably still a genny to recharge the batteries once every day or two.

And, not to throw another wrench in your setup... but... I don't know of many people who fulltime in a Sundance (but I could be wrong). I don't think they're designed for it (or insulated for it) - so hopefully you have some mild weather locations picked out.

Lynn1130

I guess I am confused here. Are you planning on off-the-grid full timing? If so you will need more that just a couple of batteries and an inverter. If not you will be connected to 120 most of the time and not need an inverter for TV and other 120 electrical items. We boon dock most of the time and about the only time the TV is on is when the genny is running in the mornings or evenings to catch news.

I find that a good book on a rainy day is much more enjoyable than a TV but that is my preference.