Movable island "pain in the neck/back"

msredneck

When we first saw the portable kitchen island, we thought it was fantastic. However out in the real world of setting up and breaking camp, this is the most trouble for us.

Since there is no control over the slide outs one must crawl over furniture and be extremely nimble and limber, which I am neither, to strap the thing down and try to lock the wheels (the wheels have to be turned just the right way to be able to access the locking tab).

Am I the only Big Country owner who is not happy with the movable island? Has anyone done any mods to improve this situation?

Oregon_Camper

Since there is no control over the slide outs

You can easily turn one slide out off, so when you hit the button, only the other one works. There are black knobs located close to the hydraulic fluid container (at least that is where they are on my BH). You turn that knob to turn off one slide...the other knob turns off the other slide.

Having said that...why can't you just strap down the island before bringing the slides in?

Gizzy

When we purchased our BH 5 years ago the movable island was an option we declined. Since we spend lots of time on the road we wanted access to all areas, which it would have prevented. We have managed just fine without it and could not imagine having it in the way for the past 43,000 miles/5 years. You might want to try not using it for a couple of trips and see how you get buy. Just a suggestion.

Gaffer

When we looked into Big Country the slide selectors were an option.
You can easily turn one slide out off, so when you hit the button, only the other one works. There are black knobs located close to the hydraulic fluid container (at least that is where they are on my BH). You turn that knob to turn off one slide...the other knob turns off the other slide.

Having said that...why can't you just strap down the island before bringing the slides in?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
In our 2015 Prowler, the island is not movable.

And when both slides are in you have to crawl over the island or the dinette to get to the back of the trailer, plus to get into the fridge you have to put the slide out some.

Not that big of a deal . . . but kind of a PITA.

ProwlerLivingroomFromStairs-P5160705.jpg ProwlerInsideIsland-P5160694.jpg

Don't have any inside shots yet with the slides in . . . I'll take some next week when we are rollin'!