WiFI Ranger Go2 indoor router, Elite outdoor router and Verizon USB U620L modem install + cell antenna

porthole

Retired
Well, I got my routers and Jetpack back. WFR made some changes, replaced the Go2 router and said everything is hunky dory.

Imagine my surprise when after putzing around for almost an hour that I finally figured out that before returning the devices to me, they turned the Elite router's broadcasting off! Errrgghhhhh.

And, my jet pack still doesn't connect via tethering, just an endless loop of initializing, acquiring, turning off, repeat.

Tech support said it is probably my USB cable, their cable works fine. I tried 3 different cables before I sent the routers back and 3 different cables since getting the stuff back.

I can connect to the Jetpack via wifi, but that is only 2.4Ghz connection. May as well have the phones and pads connect directly at 5Ghz.

And that 2 mile with the Elite router on the roof is BS. We are probably 1/4 mile away from the CG WiFi and do not see it on the WFR stuff.

StrongJava

I don't have the equipment you have, but I do have experience with setting up various networks.

I'm a little confused by what you're saying. Does the Jetpack properly connect to the Verizon cellular service, but then not work at passing the network traffic though USB to another router?

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I was powering a higher end PTZ IP camera at my home via POE. The distance proved too great as the camera operated erratically. Too much voltage drop. I ended up pulling some 12 ga Romex through my house and garage attics and put a recept near where the camera was mounted and relocated the PSU to there. Problem solved.

Just out of curiosity Jim, how far were you trying to go with POE. with Cat5e you should not have an issue powering at the max distance for any device provided your POE source is providing the correct amperage. I go a full 300ft plus a few on very power hungry POE phones all the time. it has much more to do with the POE switch that they are connected to. there are two "specs" for POE one is low power and the other is much higher. Then there is the next Gen standard that will provide even higher amperage.

Power injectors are all low power, most 8 port or less switches are low power, 16+ port switches are mostly high power. So home owners who would use either a power injector or a low port count "consumer" level switch may have an issue with powering some high end products.

Kevin

Kevin

jbeletti

Kevin - I am using an 8-port POE switch. So perhaps low power. I'd say I was running about 125 feet on CAT5.

jbeletti

Jim,

more than likely it is the switch not the distance. POE limit is 100M ( 300 ft )

God to know Kevin - appreciate the teaching :) I have sold my switch and most of my cameras ahead of our anticipated sale of this home. I'll buy all new stuff at our new place, wherever/whenever that is. Gotta have the latest and sounds like I'll want a high-power 16 port POE switch :)

porthole

Retired
I don't have the equipment you have, but I do have experience with setting up various networks.

I'm a little confused by what you're saying. Does the Jetpack properly connect to the Verizon cellular service, but then not work at passing the network traffic though USB to another router?

Yes, the Jetpack connects properly to the cellular network.
It will connect properly to the inside router via WiFi at 2.4ghz (it is a 2.4/5 modem/router, Verizon's newest AC791L)

it it will not connect via tethering mode.
Jetpack options include a tether only mode as well, which also does not work.

jbeletti

Duane - your experience of late is similar to mine...
- JetPack will not stay connected (via WiFi) to WFR
- Jetpack will tether OR charge via USB on WFR but not both

I'm done - moving on. I'll be trying something completely different - a router with an embedded cellular modem.

Getting this one from the 3GStore - product link
Pepwave MAX BR1 Router With Embedded 3G-4G Modem.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

I'm done - moving on. I'll be trying something completely different - a router with an embedded cellular modem.

View attachment 45183

Nice! So I could not tell from the specs easily. Looks like one cellular SIM card slot? Can you have SIM cards for different providers and swap them when needed?

jbeletti

Nice! So I could not tell from the specs easily. Looks like one cellular SIM card slot? Can you have SIM cards for different providers and swap them when needed?

Erika - it has 2 SIM slots. Here's what the details say about it:

• Redundant SIM Slots with Data Overage Protection: The BR1 saves you money with a bandwidth allowance monitor that switches SIMs when you're close to a data cap.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ok. What I was envisioning is having a Verizon SIM and AT&T SIM and use which ever one got the best signal. Some areas, AT&T is better than Verizon, and others, vice versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StrongJava

The Cradlepoint tech told me that won't work, unfortunately, for the modem that can be purchased with the MBR1400. You can have sim card(s) for AT&T or Verizon (or ...) installed, but not from multiple carriers at the same time. This is due to the firmware that gets installed.

I suspect it is the same with other similar devices.

Last edited:

StrongJava

WiFi Ranger Elite-Go2 and Jetpack Network.jpgDuane,

I took the liberty of generating a graphic because, well, I'm a visual kind of guy.

If I understand correctly, communication between Node 1 (Go2) and Node 2 (WFR Elite) works and from there you have your desired internal network with your computers/devices.

Communication between Node 1 and Node 3 (Jetpack) work as long as you're using Mode 2 (the wireless routing) on the Jetpack, correct? Are you sure the computer(s) are actually connecting through the Go2 in this case? Or, might they be connecting to the wireless network being created by the Jetpack?

And Mode 1 between Nodes 1 and 3 does not work. The Jetpack page I found indicates there is a USB driver required for tethering. I'm not sure how that would work on the WFR Go2, but have you installed the driver on a computer and tried tethering straight to the Jetpack?

I've read some discussion and have been told by AT&T that using a MiFi-like device (i.e. Jetpack) requires a configuration called port forwarding in order to pass the network traffic from the Jetpack to the Go2. As I don't have this equipment, I haven't tested these (I was hoping to get a used setup for cheap, but I was too slow) situations. I've got a connection with another RVer who also knows networking and is using the Elite/Go2 set up. I don't know if he has a Jetpack though.

The reason the WFR techs may have changed your gateway address is that you have to use different IP network address groups for each router, unless they are in a bridge mode.

Some of the configurations I described can be pretty complex for a non-technical person. I'm happy to help confirm these settings with you (either here or offline) and do more troubleshooting, but I want to make sure my understanding of your current situation is correct first.
Tim

View attachment 45215

Yes, the Jetpack connects properly to the cellular network.
It will connect properly to the inside router via WiFi at 2.4ghz (it is a 2.4/5 modem/router, Verizon's newest AC791L)

it it will not connect via tethering mode.
Jetpack options include a tether only mode as well, which also does not work.

Last edited:

EPaulikonis

Do you plan on using an amplifier kit with the Pepwave? I've been trying to find information on input power restrictions to the Pepwave and haven't had any luck. Any tech specs you'd be willing to share on the MAX-BR1-LTE is appreciated.

I was looking to add the Drive 4G-X to the mix, but the technician recommended against it because "...it may be too strong for the modem and blow it." Not quite the technical detail I was fishing for when asking the question; expected a DO NOT EXCEED xx maximum input power type of answer. Folks from UberSignal recommended a weBoost M2M 4G amplifier since it's designed for a direct connection to a cellular modem. Just want to be sure I'm not stuck sitting within 5 feet of the device when I need to make a call or access the Internet.

View attachment 45183

Do you plan on using an amplifier kit with the Pepwave? I've been trying to find information on input power restrictions to the Pepwave and haven't had any luck. Any tech specs you'd be willing to share on the MAX-BR1-LTE is appreciated.

I was looking to add the Drive 4G-X to the mix, but the technician recommended against it because "...it may be too strong for the modem and blow it." Not quite the technical detail I was fishing for when asking the question; expected a DO NOT EXCEED xx maximum input power type of answer. Folks from UberSignal recommended a weBoost M2M 4G amplifier since it's designed for a direct connection to a cellular modem. Just want to be sure I'm not stuck sitting within 5 feet of the device when I need to make a call or access the Internet.

The Pepwave MAX BR1 (or other embedded cellular modems) don't have a maximum input power in any of their specs. The concern isn't so much that you'll blow the modem, rather the output power of a repeating amplifier is so much higher (50db vs 15db) that you'll end up with too much gain and the modem won't connect because of interference. With the direct connect M2M amp you are delivering only the power needed to the modem vs enough power to push the signal from another antenna 10' feet across an RV. Here is a FAQ we created that talks about repeating amplifiers and when to use, and not to use them.

porthole

Retired
Nice picture.

Node 1 is a WiFi router
Node 2 is a WiFI router
Both nodes are receive and broadcast
Node 2 is controlled by node 1

Devices can connect to either - or. If you are in you rig, connect to the Go2 node 1, if outside connect to the Elite rooftop, node 2
If it worked properly you should be able to connect to two networks and use them for auto failover or boosting speed (3 different modes)

The elite rooftop range is nowhere near the claimed 2 miles. My iPhone did see the Elite at roughly 200+ yards this week. Although there was no reason to connect since the Elite could not see the campgrounds network.

No drivers are necessary as I am not using a computer with the jetpack.
The jetpack is supposed to connect automatically to the Go2, it does not (tethering). It will connect via wifi, but that kind of defeats the purpose, especially downgrading to 2.4ghz.

Using my Macbook, iPad or iPhone it is very easy to see what you are connected to, Go2, Elite or Jetpack.

Typically wifi is turned off during tethering.
Wirelessly connecting to the Go2, which is wirelessly connected to the jetpack works, but is slow and counter productive.

Sometimes the jetpack will charge through the USB port and sometimes it will not.

A new issue this weekend. Once charged up you have to remove the charge cable from the jetpack. If you leave the charger hooked up too long, the jetpack freezes and you have to remove the battery to reset it. Even disconnected the screens displays charge "charging, please remove"

I have not tried tethering the jetpack to the macbook, see no need.

WFR people supposedly had all the items working, and yet still found a reason to turn off broadcasting on the elite to confuse me. Plus - they changed the names to the same name for each router! Although the two routers were viable on the control panel, they displayed as one router!

All of this stuff is the definition of insanity...........

These two videos show the Go2 and the jetpack fighting with each other.

Jim's new solution looks like an alternative, but I already sent that much and more on this stuff. Plus the whole WFR concept is indoor and outdoor units working together to get the best service.

Last edited:

EPaulikonis

Thanks Kevin. That makes much more sense. Appreciate the link too.

The Pepwave MAX BR1 (or other embedded cellular modems) don't have a maximum input power in any of their specs. The concern isn't so much that you'll blow the modem, rather the output power of a repeating amplifier is so much higher (50db vs 15db) that you'll end up with too much gain and the modem won't connect because of interference. With the direct connect M2M amp you are delivering only the power needed to the modem vs enough power to push the signal from another antenna 10' feet across an RV. Here is a FAQ we created that talks about repeating amplifiers and when to use, and not to use them.

porthole

Retired
My first time out last year with the non working WiFi Ranger stuff resulted in getting the antenna knocked off the Elite rooftop router.
The antenna is just a pressed fit into the coax connector. Kind of a poor design for something that is subjected to obstacles (tree branches).

Not sure if I like it, but I know it helps the branches ride up over the antenna. Proved it this weekend at the PA Rally.

Attachments

• WFR_Elite_antenna_a.jpg
    WFR_Elite_antenna_a.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 33
  • WFR_Elite_antenna_b.jpg
    WFR_Elite_antenna_b.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 35
  • WiFi_add_ons_01.jpg
    WiFi_add_ons_01.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 33

StrongJava

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Duane. We're working hard on our house here in Virginia before we can list it and leave town.

A guy I know has the set up you are trying to get working and loves it. He is a network engineer if I recall correctly. If you'd like to pm me an email address, I'll try to get the three of us talking if he is willing.

I do recall from talking to him that the WLAN (wireless LAN, or WIFI) established by nodes 1 and 2 should be combinable into a higher-speed user network, and I believe this combination occurs at Node 1 in my drawing.

Does WFR say the Jetpack should tether automatically to the Go2? Does Verizon agree? As I said, this is one of the reasons I stayed away from the MIFI-like (i.e., Jetpack) solutions.

I'll watch your videos later and try to provide more. I've got a window before rain is supposed to start and I need to get some work done here at the RV, like fixing my living room slide :-(

Tim

Nice picture.

Node 1 is a WiFi router
Node 2 is a WiFI router
Both nodes are receive and broadcast
Node 2 is controlled by node 1

Devices can connect to either - or. If you are in you rig, connect to the Go2 node 1, if outside connect to the Elite rooftop, node 2
If it worked properly you should be able to connect to two networks and use them for auto failover or boosting speed (3 different modes)

The elite rooftop range is nowhere near the claimed 2 miles. My iPhone did see the Elite at roughly 200+ yards this week. Although there was no reason to connect since the Elite could not see the campgrounds network.

No drivers are necessary as I am not using a computer with the jetpack.
The jetpack is supposed to connect automatically to the Go2, it does not (tethering). It will connect via wifi, but that kind of defeats the purpose, especially downgrading to 2.4ghz.

Using my Macbook, iPad or iPhone it is very easy to see what you are connected to, Go2, Elite or Jetpack.

Typically wifi is turned off during tethering.
Wirelessly connecting to the Go2, which is wirelessly connected to the jetpack works, but is slow and counter productive.

Sometimes the jetpack will charge through the USB port and sometimes it will not.

A new issue this weekend. Once charged up you have to remove the charge cable from the jetpack. If you leave the charger hooked up too long, the jetpack freezes and you have to remove the battery to reset it. Even disconnected the screens displays charge "charging, please remove"

I have not tried tethering the jetpack to the macbook, see no need.

WFR people supposedly had all the items working, and yet still found a reason to turn off broadcasting on the elite to confuse me. Plus - they changed the names to the same name for each router! Although the two routers were viable on the control panel, they displayed as one router!

All of this stuff is the definition of insanity...........

These two videos show the Go2 and the jetpack fighting with each other.

Jim's new solution looks like an alternative, but I already sent that much and more on this stuff. Plus the whole WFR concept is indoor and outdoor units working together to get the best service.