WiFI Ranger Go2 indoor router, Elite outdoor router and Verizon USB U620L modem install + cell antenna

porthole

Retired
WiFI Ranger Go2 indoor router, Elite outdoor router and Verizon USB U620L modem install.
This first post is just a re-post of my initial install. The rest will be some issues and general usage for us "non tech-savvy" people's use.

1st, the equipment is nicely made, 2nd, they claim made in the USA, always a plus for me.
Installed Wifi Ranger's Elite FM pack, basically a WiFi Ranger outdoor router and antenna (roof mount, receive and broadcast) and an indoor Go2 router (also over the air receive and broadcast), with Verizon's newest USB 620L modem for the Go2's USB port. Also added a cell antenna to the roof.

WiFi stuff is from WiFIRanger.com. Cell antenna and low loss coax ($$$) is from the 3gStore.com

This "stuff" is all supposed to work in concert with with each component, with a preference for wifi over cell usage. Lots of settings in the web based control panel too.

1st pic
Roof top mount of the WFR Elite router (left) and cell antenna for the USB modem. The rooftop Elite is POE, power over ethernet for it's supply voltage. It gets it's POE from the indoor Go2 router (separate POE port)

2nd pic
WFR Go2 router with a Verizon USB modem and external antenna adapter --> low loss coax to roof.

3rd pic
On-off switch. I installed the router to run off of 12 volts DC, this switch was for a convenient way to turn off the routers and cell modem (powered by the indoor router).

Attachments

• WiFi_add_ons_01.jpg
    WiFi_add_ons_01.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 350
  • WiFi_add_ons_02.jpg
    WiFi_add_ons_02.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 340
  • WiFi_add_ons_03.jpg
    WiFi_add_ons_03.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 313

BudnDonna

Porthole, I see you have combined your cables and are running them back somewhere on your roof but where did you go in at?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
My Q&A before purchasing:

Several questions regarding the above two WFR kits.
The two kits appear to be about the same overall except for the outside antennas.
The marine version has better specs according to the respective web pages. E.g. the marine version is rated at 5 miles versus 2 miles and comes with a g/n/a dual band router (2.4-5.8) versus a g/n single band (2.4 only) router with the Elite pack.

Why would I not purchase, for the same price, the marine version?
Application will be a 5th wheel trailer.

And, what is the typical wifi range for the connected devices?

Are there any external antennas available for the router to allow outside device connection?

https://wifiranger.com/shop/product/52-elite-pack-flat-mount
https://wifiranger.com/shop/product/47-marine-pack2

Thanks for your interest in our products.

The Marine Pack2 would not be the best for your application. The way it is designed would make it hard to mount and prone to damage from trees and other overhangs. It would be much better to have the Elite Pack FM from a durability standpoint for the RV application. Also, the range of the Elite Pack FM is actually going to be better for the RV environment then what you'd get from putting the Marine Pack2 in the same environment. Those max range ratings are based on the respective environments of Marine (clear water) vs RV (trees, elevation, buildings, etc).

The Marine Pack2 does support 5GHz, but that would be the only advantage, which in my opinion, is far outweighed by the Elite Pack FM's better durability, installation, and range.

Message: Sorry, I didn't quite finish answering all your questions.

Typically, your computers/devices would connect to the indoor Go2 router within your 5th wheel and on your site while sitting outside of your trailer. You can also connect to the Elite FM's broadcast coming from the roof, adding lots of range for you to walk around the RV park while staying connected. Depending on how powerful your computer/device is, you could connect at ranges from 200-1000ft from your 5th wheel.

There's no need for external antennas, as the Elite FM acts as an outdoor broadcast for your computers/devices.

Hello,

I have an Elite Pack FM kit on order. I do not have a MiFI device yet and I am considering either of the two Verizon offerings.

Application is for a 5th wheel trailer using the above WIFI Ranger kit (antenna and router). Although I don't have the hotspot yet, I am getting the cellular antenna to mount on the roof at the same time as installing the WiFI Ranger.

Do you know if there is an advantage one way or the other with either of the two Verizon MiFi devices - MiFI Jetpack 6620L or USB U620L devices?
The device compatibility page on your website is a dead link.

Will the USB stick plug and play with the Go2 router? If not, when will the firmware be available?

Are there any antenna limitations between the Elite FM and an omni directional cellular antennas such as this item from the 3G store.
http://3gstore.com/product/3047_3g4g-full-band-outdoor-omni-antenna.html

I am concerned with interference issues on the roof.

It is my understanding that the Go2 will prioritize "free" wifi over cellular, correct?

Is the router capable of logging on automatically after an automatic disconnect?
E.g. some campgrounds automatically boot you after a 1 or 2 hours of online use.

Using the above scenario, is there anyway to easily tell what the router is using when the devices are accessing the internet or moving data?
My concern is that we may be using using the WiFI, the campground's system boots us, and the cellular automatically picks up. That could get pricey as far as data usage is involved.

Hey Duane,

Either Verizon models would be a good choice. We just got the U620L supported via plug-n-play USB tethering to the Go2 router.

It would recommend mounting the cellular omnidiretional antenna a few feet away from the Elite FM. Since they're on different frequencies from each other, you shouldn't worry.

Yes, the Go2 will prioritize free WiFi over Cellular. There's lots of ways to configure it though, and I recommend watching our training videos: http://wifiranger.com/support#videos

Yes, WiFiRangers can automatically reconnect with the Failover feature turned On from the Setup tab of the Control Panel.

Yes, you can see how the WiFiRanger is connected by going to the Control Panel. Data Tracking gives you even more visibility to which devices are using data, and through which internet sources you're consuming data. Look at the Multi-WAN video and note how Hot Standby works to avoid overages on cellular.

This is for a Elite pack FM install in a 5th wheel trailer, with a Verizon USB 620L modem attached.

That said - when looking for connections at my house, the Go2 does not show all of the same connections that my Mac laptop will show.

Since the Go2 is a 2.4 router, will it not even see any 5GH connections I have available?
When using my devices to search for connections, laptops, phones iPads etc, the Go2 shows up but not the Elite.
Under the WFRControl panel (Elite is displayed) the private SSID broadcast comes up with the Go2 info - "A.Pvt.WFR_Go2.8970
How do I get the Elite to send as well as receive?

No, the Go2 will not see 5GHz broadcasts as it is 2.4GHz.

Looking at your configuration, you should be seeing a signal named A.Pvt.WFR_Go2.8987 which is the Elite.

If you do not see this signal, ensure that your Elite's Private Broadcast is not Hidden on the Elite's WiFi tab. Click View WFRControl Panel on the Go2's Setup tab to bring up the Elite's Control Panel.

This is my issue:

Under the WFRControl panel (Elite is displayed) the private SSID broadcast comes up with the Go2 info - "A.Pvt.WFR_Go2.8970

Note, under the Elite's WFRControl panel, the SSID displayed is for the Go2.

I did not change this.
I did Change the name of the Elite to be similar to the Go2, but it was set to A.Pvt.WFR_Elite.8979
It did show up on other devices for a short time.

I am sitting in my trailer now and it still does not show up.
The attached screenshot is the WiFi page from the Elite's WFRControl panel. Note the SSID

Message: One thing to keep in mind is that the Elite may be trying to connect to WiFi in the area. While it is initially connecting to a network, it can't simultaneously broadcast to your computers. That may explain why you couldn't see it for a while.

There is more......

porthole

Retired
So, I am not without a few issues. A little disappointing, as I paid to get this delivered in time for our 2 week trip into the hills of PA and NH.

First was that I never got the USB modem to work. We were unable to use any of the equipment during our trip.
The 2 routers seemed to have trouble communicating.
Getting the roof top Elite router to continually be visible in the available connections.
It seems to take forever to log on to a site.
The claimed 2 mile range is a bit out there. That is only under very ideal conditions. I expected that, but what I didn't expect was the inability to even go 300-500 feet.
The Cell antenna seems sturdy enough.

And in my personal opinion the Elite's antenna is too flimsy for an unobstructed roof mount installation. Probably a tree branch. But whatever it was resulted in a broken antenna, on the first trip.
The Cell antenna seems sturdy enough, and the mount I made will allow easy enough replacement should it ever get damaged.

Tech support is typically, send an email, wait a day or day for a response, try that, send an email, wait a day or 2 etc.

Attachments

• WFR_Elite_antenna_1.jpg
    WFR_Elite_antenna_1.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 135
  • WFR_Elite_antenna_2.jpg
    WFR_Elite_antenna_2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 126

porthole

Retired
Apparently the Go2 router was supposed to have had a firmware update for the USB modem that could not be done on a typical "download firmware" update.

"get the router online with WiFi and I will be able to patch the unit from here."

Yeah, that is a problem, no wifi for 2 weeks for the most part. And when I did have it was not very good.

And since the modem does not work - I suggested the best resolution was to ship me a new Router that was updated.
WIFI Ranger agreed and replaced the router with one that sees the modem.

One time I was able to connect with the modem. For the rest of the weekend all I get is "cannot talk to modem" or "loading modem" messages.

Porthole, I see you have combined your cables and are running them back somewhere on your roof but where did you go in at?

Drilled a hole between the two vent pipes. On our trailer there is a cavity between the living g room and bathroom walls.

Attachments

• WFR_errors_01.jpg
    WFR_errors_01.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 85
  • WFR_errors_02.jpg
    WFR_errors_02.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 83

porthole

Retired
Since it was asked, this is the stuff I ordered

Rooftop cell antenna from the 3G store http://3gstore.com/search/SureCall_9.5"_Full_Band_Outdoor_Omn/

1 ea.N/Female to FME/Female Adapter - 971107$7.95
1 ea.20' Black Ultra Low Loss Cable (N/Male Connectors)$41.99
1 ea.Adapter Cable for U760/USB551L/4510L/4620L/250U & More$13.00
1 ea.SureCall 9.5" Full Band Outdoor Omni 3G/4G Antenna - SC-288W$57.99
1 ea.Antenna Tip Sheet (U620L)$0.00

$120.93
Sub-Total:

$4.99
FEDEX Ground Home Delivery [residential]:

$125.92
Total:​

WiFi Ranger routers
https://wifiranger.com/shop/product/52-elite-pack-flat-mount

Verizon 620L USB modem
http://www.verizonwireless.com/internet-devices/verizon-mifi-4g-lte-global-usb-modem-u620l/

My thoughts.
The cell antenna
Have only tried it with the above modem so I don't know one way or the other how good it is. I had to use a piece of aluminum angle to mount it to the roof. If it works, I'm sure it works OK. Just an antenna extension up on the roof.
I think if the antenna took a tree branch hit it would be OK, maybe bend the bracket a bit.

The WiFi Ranger stuff.
Pricey. The rooftop router has a weak spot, the antenna bracket and 90 degree coax connector. I'm guessing maybe a tree branch hit the antenna and it broke the connector. That required sending it back to the factory for repair.
The routers when received would not "talk" to the modem, needed firmware upgrades (was supposed to be done before shipping).

That was kind of a catch 22. The router needed the firmware update to work with the USB, but could only do that update with the router online via the modem. Don't ask - I don't know. What it required was that WiFi Ranger sent me a new router with the update because they could not remotely do it. For some reason, what ever it is the techys from WFR need to see the router online from their end to do the update.
At least they sent the replacement right out with a return tag instead of waiting for me to send mine back.

Verizon modem.
I received the modem in August (was a new model) Hardly ever got it to work. Within 2 weeks it was dead. Verizon stores do not carry the USB modems, so I had to wait a week for a new one to be shipped.
Shortly after that I did the big Mac OS upgrade. That essentially bricked the USB modem. The 620L will not communicate with EL Capitan. Verizon has no date for when the firmware be able to be updated. So my modem is currently on a no charge suspension while I wait.

I went with the USB modem over a Jet Pack type as that was the recommendation from WFR for simplicity and speed, and it was the latest and greatest. Made sense, why have a router talk to a router that controls another router.....

The whole idea of doing this was to have net access while we were in areas with poor or little wifi and cell tower coverage for our end of year trips up in the mountains. I have been nothing but frustrated with all of the equipment.
The WFR router constantly dropped any of the connections it had requiring constant re-logging in.

And all of this was while parked! Really shot the idea of using the stuff while moving down the road out the window.

As far as I could tell, the router never automatically switched between wifi or cell as needed or programmed.

I was going to send the routers (the kit includes an inside and roof top router) along with the modem back to WiFI Ranger and let them tell me why it does not work. But with my modem currently suspended I am back to that catch 22.

porthole

Retired
An update, lateral though as it may be.

I still do not have a definitive answer as to why my Elite router (roof top router) keeps rebooting. So I also do not have an answer as to why the Go2 (inside router) or Elite routers would not maintain a connection, either cellular or wifi.

It was suggested by the WFR folks that there may be a voltage issue. The Go2 router is supplied with an AC power brick and a 12 volt DC power cord. The power brick is a 24 volt supply. So there is speculation that the trailer's 12 volt supply is not sufficient. I find that hard to believe, but it is hard to argue the point as well.

Yesterday I set up the routers in my office and once they were online and stabile, the WFR folks did a firmware update remotely. Both routers have been online now for over 24 hours, so maybe the firmware helped.

When I put the routers back in this spring I will be adding a 12 volt - 24 volt step up converter, as recommended by WFR.

The other issue with the U620L modem not being compatible with Mac EL Capitan is still on going with no resolution in sight from Verizon.
Verizon has a new router type modem out, the AC791L which has two antenna ports and a wifi tethering capability as well. But, since it is new there is no compatibility promise with the WFR stuff.

Verizon has offered to replace my stick modem with the mifi-router version, but if it doesn't work with my Mac, why bother. The USB modem was a convenience thing. I would only use it occasionally outside of the trailer and then only with my Macbook. In that use the stick modem is easier to carry and use then the mifi-router version, and doesn't need to be charged.

Phones and iPads all have cell service and are all on the same data plan.

BTW, if you are using a WFR Go2 router the current firmware is 7.0.3 (you can see this on the top right corner of the control panel).

Here is a video on WFR settings that may be helpful.

StrongJava

Hi Duane,

I'm using a Cradlepoint MBR1400 (expensive!) with a USB extension including an AT&T MODEM. I've been considering a roof-mounted antenna but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

The MBR1400 is apparently already out of service life which is disconcerting. Cradlepoint has had some issues too, but overall it works reasonably well. In the end, I will buy a different wireless router for inside the coach so I can get it on a different channel than the radio in the Cradlepoint, thus reducing the chance of interference. However, that hasn't been a huge rush since I'm almost always using the MiFi mode since it doesn't seem that any parks have very useable wireless networks. Frustrating in this day and age.

Tim

An update, lateral though as it may be.

I still do not have a definitive answer as to why my Elite router (roof top router) keeps rebooting. So I also do not have an answer as to why the Go2 (inside router) or Elite routers would not maintain a connection, either cellular or wifi.

It was suggested by the WFR folks that there may be a voltage issue. The Go2 router is supplied with an AC power brick and a 12 volt DC power cord. The power brick is a 24 volt supply. So there is speculation that the trailer's 12 volt supply is not sufficient. I find that hard to believe, but it is hard to argue the point as well.

Yesterday I set up the routers in my office and once they were online and stabile, the WFR folks did a firmware update remotely. Both routers have been online now for over 24 hours, so maybe the firmware helped.

When I put the routers back in this spring I will be adding a 12 volt - 24 volt step up converter, as recommended by WFR.

The other issue with the U620L modem not being compatible with Mac EL Capitan is still on going with no resolution in sight from Verizon.
Verizon has a new router type modem out, the AC791L which has two antenna ports and a wifi tethering capability as well. But, since it is new there is no compatibility promise with the WFR stuff.

Verizon has offered to replace my stick modem with the mifi-router version, but if it doesn't work with my Mac, why bother. The USB modem was a convenience thing. I would only use it occasionally outside of the trailer and then only with my Macbook. In that use the stick modem is easier to carry and use then the mifi-router version, and doesn't need to be charged.

Phones and iPads all have cell service and are all on the same data plan.

BTW, if you are using a WFR Go2 router the current firmware is 7.0.3 (you can see this on the top right corner of the control panel).

Here is a video on WFR settings that may be helpful.

porthole

Retired
Returned my USB stick modem, and after some arguing with verizon types I replaced it with the AC791L jet pack at an almost zero cost upgrade.

Im about thoroughly fed up with the WiFi-Ranger stuff. It just doesn't work as advertised, for me.
I reinstalled the router, both the inside Go2 and Elite rooftop units and used the 24 volt power brick this time.

Time will tell if the problem with the rooftop unit constantly rebooting is solved with 24 volts.

Currently I am using just jetpack in wifi mode, because the WiFi-Ranger router will not connect to it tethered.
Last effort may be to box up both routers and jetpack and send off to the ranger people and let them see if they can't get all the interested parties to play nice.

ndmac

I looked at the Wifiranger and other similar units I ultimately went with the Rogue Wave by Wave-Wifi and haven't looked back.
Very simple to setup and works like a charm! (Does not have cell signal capabilities)

I ran mine through router for added security and for use with multiple devices, just like you would at home.

This product and the components they put together for this package we very well thought out right down to the web-based connection software - easy for the masses!

I picked up mine for around $300 on-iine (Link below)
Router from walmart around $30.

http://wavewifi.com/products/rogue-wave/

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/re...gue-wave-vs-wifiranger-mobileti-pepwave-soho/

https://www.ppcsecure.com/track.php...AVE&click=19&gclid=CO3K1tqjkcwCFQyNaQodSfcPSg

porthole

Retired
Well I sent the two routers and my Jetpack out to the WiFi Ranger people. They spent several hours with it, made some setting adjustments on the jet pack and replaced teh Go2 router (this will be my third Go2)

From the techs:
After several hours of testing, it has been determined that there was an issue with the Go2 and the USB cable for your Jetpack.
We are sending a new Go2 back to you that has been paired up with the Elite and test using different Multi-WAN configurations with your Jetpack.
You will need to still replace the USB for the Jetpack (I was using a Belkin Charge/Sync cable for Mobile devices).

The following changes were also made to the Jetpack:
1) You are now prompted on the Jetpack to select Tether (usb network) when connecting it to the Go2
2) The Gateway IP address has been changed to 192.168.20.1 (this will prevent IP conflicts when using Multi-WAN)

I don't know what it means, but the Gateway address conflict info might be something someone else could use.

The cable issue with the jetpack I knew about. It seems that the USB cable that comes with the jetpack is battery charge only.

I will also be installing this 12 volt DC to 24v DC converter at the Ranger people's recommendation. The Go2 comes with a DC 12 volt pig tail and a AC 110 to DC 24 power brick.
They think the problem with my outside Elite router is a low voltage problem. The Elite, mounted on the roof is a PoE, power over ethernet, which it gets from a PoE port on the inside Go2 router.

Attachments

• DC-12v_to_DC-24v_converter_1.jpg
    DC-12v_to_DC-24v_converter_1.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 30
  • DC-12v_to_DC-24v_converter_2.jpg
    DC-12v_to_DC-24v_converter_2.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 34

jbeletti

I didn't know the Go2 required 24 vdc in. Mine is 12 vdc powered. Or are you saying Blue Mesh says it works better with 24 vdc?

I'm thinking about going another direction in my next coach next May.

porthole

Retired
Blue Mesh says the issue I have with my Elite on the roof "must" be a low voltage issue. So they recommended I use the supplied power brick 110AC-->12DC instead of the supplied 12vDC pigtail.
Maybe the Go2 is fine with just 12 volts, but powering the Elite as well requires a bit more juice.

So I guess the answer to your question is the Go2 has a nominal input voltage range of 12-24 volts

My Elite router was constantly rebooting. Once I switched to the 24v supply it stopped.

SNOKING

If I can tag onto this thread, as it contains a subject and need a lot of us deal with. I bought into what this poster did for WiFi signal improvements. Cost is low and in our previous trailer I just shot out of a high cabinet above the built in computer desk. I will document in another thread as I get things setup in our new 3575el. This equipment created a WiFi hot spot in the trailer along with having an ethernet port that I connected to a Netgear switch that I was running DTV whole home DVR service on for three TVs. This unit scrambled the brains on one of the boats GPS units when I placed it to close to it, and had to do a reset of the GPS to get it working again, so it should be keep away from other electronics. Setup is pretty technical, however once done it is not that bad to operate and link to a park WiFi tower.
http://www.outsideourbubble.com/sec...making-a-better-park-connection-for-under-100

For cell service improvement last winter bought a yagi directional antenna for my Verizon 4620LE jetpack. I gained 20db in signal at the jetpack with just the antenna without an amplifier. One has to be careful to order the right one for the connection on their jetpack.
http://www.amazon.com/Verizon-Wirel...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Because both created separate WiFi hot spots within the trailer, I did not try to link them, preferring to just choose at the end device where I wanted to connect.

Chris

jbeletti

...My Elite router was constantly rebooting. Once I switched to the 24v supply it stopped.

I was powering a higher end PTZ IP camera at my home via POE. The distance proved too great as the camera operated erratically. Too much voltage drop. I ended up pulling some 12 ga Romex through my house and garage attics and put a recept near where the camera was mounted and relocated the PSU to there. Problem solved.

porthole

Retired
I used the supplied parts from wifi ranger, I would think it should work with what they gave me. THE PoE ethernet cable was supplied as well, about t30' IIRC

porthole

Retired
For cell service improvement last winter bought a yagi directional antenna for my Verizon 4620LE jetpack. I gained 20db in signal at the jetpack with just the antenna without an amplifier. One has to be careful to order the right one for the connection on their jetpack.
http://www.amazon.com/Verizon-Wirel...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

H'mmm this might be something to consider. THE verizon AC791L jetpack has two antenna ports that can be used simultaneously.
I have a 3G Store cell antenna on the roof now, but a directional antenna might be a fix for fringe areas.

I just tried this website to look for cell towers at some of the regular places we came, like up north for dog camp.
One camp has a verizon tower about 7 miles away, the other camp has a V tower 24 miles away.

http://www.cellreception.com/

sjandbj

I didn't know the Go2 required 24 vdc in. Mine is 12 vdc powered. Or are you saying Blue Mesh says it works better with 24 vdc?

I'm thinking about going another direction in my next coach next May.

Jim,
You state that you are thinking of a different option. What are you thinking of going to? I have yet to tackle this mod. It is on the top of list now so any new ideas would be helpful.

Steve

jbeletti

Jim,
You state that you are thinking of a different option. What are you thinking of going to? I have yet to tackle this mod. It is on the top of list now so any new ideas would be helpful.
Steve

Steve - I may return my WFR gear to MITO Corp who supplied it to me (industry courtesy) and try another product that has a similar feature-set. I have not started my research but will be looking in the Telecommunications sub-forum on this site and others over the rest of this year.

I'll be curious to see how Duane's setup works out. Assume I'll see it at the NE Region Rally.