EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: NM, SW Albuquerque - 5/5/2016 to 5/8/2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Ted & Ann, we look forward to meeting you at the Tucson Rally. There are at least 4 of us heading to Buena Vista for the CO Chapter Rally the weekend following the NM rally in Albuquerque. We would love to have you join us if you have the time.
Gregg

Ann&Ted

Thanks Gregg, Ann and I are still considering the Colorado Rally. Looking forward to meeting you and Linda as well.

Ted

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Thanks Gregg, Ann and I are still considering the Colorado Rally. Looking forward to meeting you and Linda as well.

Ted

We are a pretty wild group over here in Colorado . . .

We have a blast at our rallies . . . you won't want to miss it!

mcolson84

Lou_and_Bette
user-offline.png

I saw that you were wanting to tour NM a little bit. If I was going to do that I would buy an annual NM state park camping permit $225. That will allow you to camp in any state park for 14 days at a time. Then you can just look at the NM state parks website and see which ones have attractions you would like to see. If you have an atv or a motorcycle (as I can see you do) there are a ton of beautiful places to see. Some of my favorites are Hopewell Lake (near Chama, NM, lots of deer/elk/bear), Cottonwood campground (near Aztec, NM and the San Juan River Quality waters, world class fly fishing for trout), and Sims Mesa (Near Navajo Lake, good crappie fishing that time of year, and salmon later in June). There is plenty to do near any of those areas. Over by Angel Fire, NM/ Eagles Nest, NM there are also a ton of beautiful places to go. I don't stay in parks that often, as I prefer the solitude of being out away from lots of people. There is plenty of opportunity for that in NM!

As for Colorado, I know the southwestern are pretty well. You can spend months here and never get bored if you like mountains, 4x4, old ghost towns/mines, good food, and fishing. I would recommend Silverton, Ouray, Dolores, Telluride, Pagosa, Durango, Lake City, and South Fork. I run the mountains all summer long in our Ranger so I can watch the deer/elk/moose/bear. I also love looking at the old mines. You can do some great fishing in the streams too! My wife likes to shop for antiques in the numerous antique stores. Dolores has a great one! I also happen to like an icey cold beverage occasionally, and there just so happens to be a ton of micro brewery's with great tasting beer! If you have any questions please let me know, I will help you in anyway I can.

P.S. be ready for cold and snow in the areas I mentioned. Summer don't start till late June up here sometimes. It snowed at our house the last week of may this last year. but day time is beautiful! And also bring plenty of Tums. I have had many friends get bad headaches from altitude sickness when staying in some of these areas for several days or weeks.

Lou_and_Bette

Thanks for the info, Mike. I added your recommendations to our list. Was looking at CG in Angel Fire for a base in the north central area. We had decided to use Cortez, Co. as the base for south west Colorado to include riding the San Juan Skyway and many other locations in that area so thinking of staying more than a week. This "base camp" would serve for areas in northwest NM (Navajo Lake) southeast Utah (Moab) northeast AZ (Monument Valley) so we may need to make this a 2 week stay. I usually avoid National and State Parks but may need to give them a closer look. Have worked out list of things to do in Colorado and New Mexico. Working on Arizona now before starting on Utah, Nevada, and Southern California.

We are prepared for the colder areas in the mountains which will be a good change from the heat of the desert. Looking forward to seeing as much of the Southwest USA as possible next year.

JohnD

There is so much to see and do here in Colorado that you could spend a year and still not see it all!

Lou_and_Bette

There is so much to see and do here in Colorado that you could spend a year and still not see it all!

You are right John, this is true about so much of this beautiful country of ours. We are in our fourth year of full timing and using these first excursions into new areas as scouting trips so that after we have filled in our "map" we can go back to areas we want to explore more closely. Plus, we get to establish contacts with some wonderful people from the local area...win-win all the way.

JohnD

You are right John, this is true about so much of this beautiful country of ours. We are in our fourth year of full timing and using these first excursions into new areas as scouting trips so that after we have filled in our "map" we can go back to areas we want to explore more closely. Plus, we get to establish contacts with some wonderful people from the local area...win-win all the way.

Maybe we'll see you at one of the Colorado HOC Rallies this summer . . . ?

We will be at the Tucson, AZ rally in February and both Colorado rallies in 2016 . . . we have decided to skip the regional in Vegas.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Time for a deposit to hold your reservation:
Please call into the Resort at 505 831 3545 for a one night deposit.
If you are a Good Sam Member, give them your number for the discount.
They will not give sites numbers over the phone but we have a block of 12 together.
Anyone can help you, be sure to tell them you are with the Heartland Rally...
Any issues ask for Melinda.

Ann&Ted

Howdy Garry, I just made our reservations at American RV. All set to arrive on May 3 and depart on May 9th.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Garry our reservations are made. We will be in on the 4th and out on the 9th. We are scheduled for Arrowhead on the 11th and thinking about stopping off in Santa Fe or Taos for a night or two on the way there.

Last edited:

Doublegranch

Gregg:

Thanks for the update. I was waiting to see what your plans are before extending. I think I may also extend to the 9th and move Buena Vista up from the 11th to the 10th arrival.
I think there are a number of us going from ABQ to Buena Vista...

Hope to have the New Sundance for this trip....they just gave it a model number and the prototype will be heading into the assembly line soon. Can't wait...

Doublegranch

Terry:

Once I get a pick up date in Goshen, I will know if I can attend the camp out....That is a beautiful area and I love it up there!

Doublegranch

Welcome Steve & Ginger & Rich & Vicki to the New Mexico Chapter Rally....
Thanks for signing up....
This fills our initial block of 12 sites....If anyone else would like to join, additional sites are available.

Make sure you let me know your exact dates and if you will be joining us for the Mexican Dinner...

Lou_and_Bette

Reservations made for real, called in November and thought we had reservations but I called to give them my deposit and spoke to Lori who informed me there was no record of our call. Lori was very helpful and we are registered for real now. Arriving 2 May and leaving 9 May, going straight to Arrowhead. We will be headed back to NM middle of June for another 3 weeks to see some of the other areas.

Doublegranch

It appeared the Resort was charging a little more than the price given at the time of blocking space...It has been corrected.
Here is a copy of the email from the Resort....So make sure you have the adjustment when you check in and pay for the remainder of your stay.

[h=3]camp@americanrvpark.com[/h]
11:42 AM (2 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Garry,
Just talked with Ellen and we will honor the price you were told. I have gone in and adjusted the ones that have already book and the system will just adjust it so they have to pay less when checking in. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Also, Cox just booked as well.
Thanks
Melinda

Status
Not open for further replies.