ATF: Road Warrior - Road Warrior 30C Rear Stabilizer Jacks

rmckee6

When we returned from the last outing we were parking the camper and went to put the rear stabilizer jacks down and the electric motor turns but the screw that moves the jack legs does not move. The motor turns in both direction by the switch. What could be the problem and how do I fix it?

Thanks

danemayer

The threaded shaft has a pin going through the end that the motor drive shaft engages. The other end also has a pin for use with the hand crank. Sounds like the pin broke or fell out. Crawl under the rear corner where the motor is located and take a look.

rmckee6

We, my wife and I, have resolved the problem. Here is what we did and what we found. I downloaded the manual from Lippert on diagnosing the problem. First do a voltage test on the battery, switch and motor leads. All showed 13.6 volts. I then contacted Lippert and talked to a technician, or they said they were a tech. I described my problem and their answer was a new motor at $49.95 plus shipping because it was no longer under warranty. I did not like that answer and proceeded out to remove the motor from the "stab" jack. First of all there are 4 allen head crews that hold the motor to the jack frame, 2 have locking nuts and 2 that are threaded into the motor housing. The motor is connected to the screw by slipping the shaft into the coupler and engaging the roll pin, very easily pulled out of the coupler without removing the roll pin. Once the motor was removed I followed the manual by connecting the manual crank to the other end of the screw and tried to extend the jack legs by cranking counter-clockwise according to the manual. The legs didn't budge. I went back to the motor and operated the switch to extend the jack legs. The motor turned in the counter-clockwise direction, which at the other end of the screw makes it the clockwise direction to extend. I went back to the crank and tried to turn the handle clockwise and they wouldn't move. I then looked at the center of the screw shaft to see what was going on there, maybe something was jamming the mechanism. There was nothing jammed in there so I went back to the crank and applies a little more force in the clockwise direction and the legs started to move. What had happened is that there is a metal sleeve on the screw that rides between the ends of the jack legs to keep them from coming together. The motor had rolled the screw tight enough to jamb the sleeve with the 2 upper ends of the jack legs, then didn't have enough power to un-jamb them to extend the jack legs. I then put the motor back on using the 4 screws and it works like it did before.