Cracks outside, and inside :(

dasmoeturhead

Opening our lr slide yesterday, and the outer seal near the top of the slide was caught be hide the slide. Upon getting the ladder out to pull the seal free I found a wonderful discovery.I'm afraid to use the slide now. I have an appt in Ashville, but that's 12 days from now and a lot of driving, plus I already have reservations up to then. On top of that we fulltime,so no place to go. Sure we will end up going to Indiana to get this fixed.

Attachments

• 20150928_084505.jpg
    20150928_084505.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 375
  • 20150928_094839.jpg
    20150928_094839.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 351
  • 20150928_084450.jpg
    20150928_084450.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 341
  • 20150928_094923.jpg
    20150928_094923.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 336

Bones

I think you can take it. The cracks appears to be from your slide pushing on the wall from the inside too far and the wall frame let go thus cracking the interior and the exterior. The crack looks like it bows outward.

dasmoeturhead

I think you can take it. The cracks appears to be from your slide pushing on the wall from the inside too far and the wall frame let go thus cracking the interior and the exterior. The crack looks like it bows outward.

That makes sense. Especially since the day we took ownership of this brand new Landmark, the LV slide would not close all the way. The front portion was almost touching the side of the trailer but the rear portion of the slide was probably 5 inches from touching. The Goons at LA Mesa adjusted it twice to get the rear close. It still didn't even compress the rubber D seal even halfway. The slide has always made piping and creaking noises. IDK, I just feel it has been adjusted wrong since we've had it, and now it's causing me a headache to be sure., Rains on the way, so it's Duct tape to the rescue.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, yeah that's the 1st thing I did. Then I sent pictures to this forum, since I have got nothing but excellent advise from those that have seen this before, or who have a lot of knowledge about these rigs.

Last edited by a moderator:

FordMan1966

Oh no this is not good. Just one more reason I am glad we traded our 2013 Landmark for SOB. We had too many problems with it. No problems at all now.

dasmoeturhead

Oh no this is not good. Just one more reason I am glad we traded our 2013 Landmark for SOB. We had too many problems with it. No problems at all now.

No plans on doing that (trading in). We love this trailer, and this is really a stupid human problem from an un-trained rv thug. I don't hold Heartland responsible for this. It's hydraulics versus fiberglass. Guess who won? I've had a few issues before and Heartland got right on it. We full time in this, and it does a very fine job
I just hope the repair can be made without going back to the factory. Indiana was not on our intenarary this year, or next for that matter.

ksucats

Two days on the road, over 950 miles traveled on some of Kansas, Colorado and New Mexico's interstate highways and, well, here we sat in Albuquerque with almost half of our interior roof trim down, the back ballaster and top facia over the entertainment/kitchen slide damaged, both slides dragging on the floor with one going out so far that it pulled the interior facia almost off, the other sounding like it was an old car door in serious need of oil on the hinges, and none of the Heartland dealers/repair locations having time to assist us.

Called Heartland Customer Support, spoke to Ron there who gave me the names of four facilities here that were Heartland authorized repair facilities (one was the business that we purchased our previous SOB from and is no longer is in business.) We contacted the other three and, as I mentioned above, none had time to assist us. I called Ron back and he gave me verbal permission to contact a mobile service to get the slides taken care of. Very impressed with him and his ability to make such a decision on the fly - Kudos to Heartland for that.

There happened to be a mobile service technician working on with another camping customer here at the Kirtland AFB Famcamp and he took a look at the slides this afternoon. He found that the entertainment / kitchen slide was too low on the rear side of the coach (he raised it some) but more importantly found that the front edge of that same slide was going out so far that it was bowing the exterior wall out. Thought is that some of the creaking was because of that but he also found that one, if not both, of the rollers under the slide on that side are damaged. On the dinette / door side he found that the rear was good but the front (which was going out so far that it had pushed the vertical facia off) was, as expected, extending too far. He made the adjustments and now the slides come in (and go out) properly - that is without tearing the carpet out and not pulling the wall out. However, he did find some damage to the side walls which will have to be addressed when we get back to Kansas next week. The facia on the one side will also have to be removed properly and repaired :(.

What made me even comment on this at this time was dosmoeturhead's comments above and the pictures of the sidewall damage from his slide's apparent over-extension. The technician found that the exterior walls on our coach are bowed out from the pressure of our slides going out so far - I'm hoping that nothing serious has been damaged but who know what lurks behind the skin.

By the way, the ceiling trim (wood looking material) had numerous brads tacked through but they only extend 1/8th to at most 1/4 inch into the ceiling material. There was no glue or other adhesive assisting them in holding the trim to the ceiling. They will be traveling back in the basement for reinstallation. Looking at the rest it appears that the other side may be loose as well.

Before anyone says it -- we have already contacted our selling dealership and they know of the current issues. We have an appointment with them to turn the coach in once we get back home. I really wonder if returning to the factory would be the better, quickest, and most complete repair option.

Sorry for the length of this - didn't realize it was so long until I submitted it a moment ago.

Dosmoeturhead - please keep us informed on your progress and repairs made. Thanks.

donr827

If the sides are bowed out I would rather have the factory repair it. Not a repairman, but it sounds like there is a lot of work to do.
Don

ksucats

Don, I agree but per Heartland Customer Support, the local dealer is the first line of repair. If THEY feel it is beyond their capability then they can escalate it - at least that is what I understood from speaking with another Heartland Customer Support gentleman yesterday -- I did not get his name as my wife had called while I was 'supervising' the mobile repair tech (I was just being nosy since someone had mentioned earlier that adjusting the slides was fairly easy -- I did find out that I'd need some tools a lot larger than my pair of pliers and screwdriver ;):D...). In any case, the wife brought the phone out to me with a 'Here, you talk to him' so....

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
No plans on doing that (trading in). We love this trailer, and this is really a stupid human problem from an un-trained rv thug. I don't hold Heartland responsible for this. It's hydraulics versus fiberglass. Guess who won? I've had a few issues before and Heartland got right on it. We full time in this, and it does a very fine job
I just hope the repair can be made without going back to the factory. Indiana was not on our intenarary this year, or next for that matter.

We've had no problems with our 2013 Landmark.....and I agree...someone really screwed up with that slide adjustment. Fordman should have never traded away from his Montana...

dasmoeturhead

Been here at the Camping world in Asheville NC for 2 days, and although they have repaired several items for me, there still going back and fourth with heartland about what's actually broke underneath. Speculation on heartland part is a possible broken weld. It's going to require cutting the fiberglass to inspect. That will require painting after they make repairs. CW is a month out on body work, so if it gets approved for repair I'm looking at about at least that long here in this area.

Bones

Been here at the Camping world in Asheville NC for 2 days, and although they have repaired several items for me, there still going back and fourth with heartland about what's actually broke underneath. Speculation on heartland part is a possible broken weld. It's going to require cutting the fiberglass to inspect. That will require painting after they make repairs. CW is a month out on body work, so if it gets approved for repair I'm looking at about at least that long here in this area.

Hopefully it gets approved for you but why would they remove the wood like panel on the inside or remove the slide first

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The wall is cracked. The wall is laminated.
If they cut the inside wall they can not just repair it.
Doing the outside wall will be an easy fix as far as body work repair goes.
I had mine done last year and it turned out great.

Peace
Dave

dasmoeturhead

The wall is cracked. The wall is laminated.
If they cut the inside wall they can not just repair it.
Doing the outside wall will be an easy fix as far as body work repair goes.
I had mine done last year and it turned out great.

Peace
Dave
That's good news. It's just the wait time. This is a pretty good spot to be, if one has to wait for awhile.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Contact HL service and see if they have an independent shop you can have repair it. Probably will be quicker and better job. Sometimes they will peel back the fiberglass outside skin and do the repair.

dasmoeturhead

Camping world gave Heartland a ridiculous estimate for repairs, so now HL wants us to have the work done at the factory. They say they will pick it up at our location, and once done they will deliver it back to us. That's ok, but the problem is being fulltimers with 2 dogs, and no house to fly home to. Looks like we will be living in a KOA Cabin or something. Wish I never would have seen that crack. Now we're just in limbo until HL let's us know their schedulemail is.

Bones

It sounds like Camping world didn't want to do the job so they gave an insane amount. I think you would have been out of the camper period while it was getting fixed. Since you are full time can you drive it out there drop it off stay somewhere while the repairs are being done then pick it up when complete. that way you get to be involved in the whole process.

Tundra2084

Exactly what Bones stated would be the best way to go. I hate to say this but, I wouldn't trust a tow company to tow it to heartland then back. I would want to be able to make sure it's towed safely and unless we're towing it you never know how it's being driven. Besides that I would also like to see what their doing to it while being repaired if possible. We just had ours repaired by heartland and they scheduled for 1 week of repair but we're able to get it done in 3 days. Stayed in hotel when dropping it off. Drove home and when it was done drove back to get it.
Also check with your insurance company to see if you have trip interruption, because we do and when we were in California and broken down they reimbursed us for the hotel and some meals. Also LA Quinta does allow pets and doesn't charge extra. Not only do we have regular insurance we also have Coach Net as well and they paid us back for trip interruption.

kkamshop

Drive it yourself to Elkhart. The delivery company may take a week or more to deliver and pick back up. You will only be out of the trailer a day or two if you go to Elkhart.