Couple questions on options...

kdubinwa

Will be ordering a new 5ver and pouring over options. Leaning towards 3270RS. Have some questions for owners:

1) If I plan to use a pair of portable 2K gas generators when infrequently dry camping should I get the Gen Prep or not? Any increased storage without it? Any advantage with built in transfer switch or no big deal to add later if I end up keeping generators in truck bed vs back by power reel? Also, resale value is not my top concern so just ordering for that reason is not suffiecient.

2) Any feedback on the new larger 18 cu propane/12v fridge? I realize it does not offer the same cooling efficiency of the residential, but I am interested in the fuel versatility.

2) Maximum Vinyl/Carpet Delete... Is there still some carpet under your feet in the dinette and recliner slide? How about under there rear sofa? For those with this option any regrets or other observations?

Thanks for sharing
Kurt

Gaffer

1) If I plan to use a pair of portable 2K gas generators when infrequently dry camping should I get the Gen Prep or not? Any increased storage without it? Any advantage with built in transfer switch or no big deal to add later if I end up keeping generators in truck bed vs back by power reel? Also, resale value is not my top concern so just ordering for that reason is not suffiecient.
You don't need the generator prep or a transfer switch with the parallel 2k Hondas.

2) Any feedback on the new larger 18 cu propane/12v fridge? I realize it does not offer the same cooling efficiency of the residential, but I am interested in the fuel versatility.
If you think you may boondock once in awhile, don't get the residential fridge.

2) Maximum Vinyl/Carpet Delete... Is there still some carpet under your feet in the dinette and recliner slide? How about under there rear sofa? For those with this option any regrets or other observations?
We ordered the maximum vinyl and use throw rugs. The slides are still carpeted.

avvidclif

You don't need the generator prep or a transfer switch with the parallel 2k Hondas.

External Generator(s) = PITA My opinion

Once you get tired of messing with the external generators you will wish you had the generator prep. It makes installing a generator a snap.

MTPockets

We bit the bullet and went with the factory installed propane Onan 5500. Longest we have used at one time is 5 hrs.. It's so quiet; barely know it's running, inside or outside.. Simple to use: push button inside to start, and to stop. One of our best investments... Loss of front storage is no big deal. Also, no worry about carrying gasoline or gas gelling in the lines due to infrequent use. It doesn't happen with propane. A 30 lb bottle will go about 9 hours. If you need more and do a lot of boon docking, propane may not be best, but it sure is nice for our use.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

We bit the bullet and went with the factory installed propane Onan 5500. Longest we have used at one time is 5 hrs.. It's so quiet; barely know it's running, inside or outside.. Simple to use: push button inside to start, and to stop. One of our best investments... Loss of front storage is no big deal. Also, no worry about carrying gasoline or gas gelling in the lines due to infrequent use. It doesn't happen with propane. A 30 lb bottle will go about 9 hours. If you need more and do a lot of boon docking, propane may not be best, but it sure is nice for our use.

Agree completely... Do it right and smile when you press the button and listen to it fire up at 6 am and 40 degrees outside. seconds later you can smell the coffee brewing from the Keurig .. well worth the money

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
One option I would look into is....the outside entertainment center. After looking at 2 3270's....one with and one without. It appears that with the OEC and the table folded down and with the slides in you can get to the rear of the coach. One thing people never look at is...what you can get to with the slides in. On the 3270 you are able to get the the BR, BR, and 1/2 of the fridge.

kdubinwa

Great input... Appreciated.

The need for generator is so infrequent (perhaps 1 trip per year) I have difficulty justifying the extra cost of an Onan for the convenience of just pushing a button. And when I finally do need a genny it might be for a long week (e.g hunting base camp) so I'm thinking of sticking with portable and then hauling gas to conserve propane for heat and cooking. It also appears you get a little more space in the front compartment if you skip the gen prep, which may also prove very useful.

For the boon docking above I will have to stick with the 18 cu Norcold. Hoping someone could share a little feedback on what they think of this newer model....

Based on feedback here we will go with Maximum Vinyl.

We will take a closer look at the outside entertainment center. It was not on my radar.

Thanks

cartdog

We are new Bighorn owners with a 2016 3010re which has the 18 cu ft Norcold. The refer size along with the floor plan was one of the big reasons we went with the Bighorn. Since it is pretty new, I can only give first impressions. We've been out four extended weekends and are very pleased with the refer. This weekend is our first one boondocking and after four days, the batteries aren't as low as I feared they might be and the temps seem fine but I haven't measured them yet . As a point reference our old rig had an 8 cu ft Norcold. The new one looks so empty with only a weekends worth of food in it. It should be great in a couple years when we start long timing. Hope that helps

kdubinwa

We are new Bighorn owners with a 2016 3010re which has the 18 cu ft Norcold. The refer size along with the floor plan was one of the big reasons we went with the Bighorn. Since it is pretty new, I can only give first impressions. We've been out four extended weekends and are very pleased with the refer. This weekend is our first one boondocking and after four days, the batteries aren't as low as I feared they might be and the temps seem fine but I haven't measured them yet . As a point reference our old rig had an 8 cu ft Norcold. The new one looks so empty with only a weekends worth of food in it. It should be great in a couple years when we start long timing. Hope that helps

Thanks cartdog. Sounds very promising. We like the size and don't want to loose the flexibility of propane either.

olcoon

There are several YouTube videos out there on mods you can do for your Honda generators. HERE is a link for DIY extended run fuel tank.

Grizpaul

Kurt, re the 18cu ft refer ... We just returned from a 6.5K mile 3.5 month shakedown cruise with our 2016 3010re that has the 18cu ft refer. DW absolutely loves this refer. Plenty of room, no cooling issues (even in 100 degree temps), and the propane / electric versatility is super. We never seriously considered the residential fridge, even tho some friends thought we'd miss the ice maker. 4 ice trays were more than enough. Happy shopping!

Ldo

We have a 3270 with four door refrigerator and have had one issue. Refrigerator was not cooling effectively and beer was not cold enough even on coldest setting. Getting ready to go to repair shop when my wife spotted the problem. The black "flipper" between the two doors was not flipping all the way letting in hot humid air. Now we watch it and manually flip it remaining 3/8th inch. Problem solved and beer is MUCH colder on lower setting.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We have a 3270 with four door refrigerator and have had one issue. Refrigerator was not cooling effectively and beer was not cold enough even on coldest setting. Getting ready to go to repair shop when my wife spotted the problem. The black "flipper" between the two doors was not flipping all the way letting in hot humid air. Now we watch it and manually flip it remaining 3/8th inch. Problem solved and beer is MUCH colder on lower setting.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

You can solve that flipper issue by placing a nylon flat washer on the bottom door pin. It raises the door just enough the flipper doesn’t drag.
Empty the door, remove a few screws, add washer, replace screws
Easy peasy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelin2

Great input... Appreciated.

The need for generator is so infrequent (perhaps 1 trip per year) I have difficulty justifying the extra cost of an Onan for the convenience of just pushing a button. And when I finally do need a genny it might be for a long week (e.g hunting base camp) so I'm thinking of sticking with portable and then hauling gas to conserve propane for heat and cooking. It also appears you get a little more space in the front compartment if you skip the gen prep, which may also prove very useful.

For the boon docking above I will have to stick with the 18 cu Norcold. Hoping someone could share a little feedback on what they think of this newer model....

Based on feedback here we will go with Maximum Vinyl.

We will take a closer look at the outside entertainment center. It was not on my radar.

Thanks

2118 fridge in our 3270 works well. Had a bad external thermostat replaced which obviously improved operation. It’s 2 plus years old. Always on, Mostly electric. Boondock camping right now. Had to turn it down to 5 yesterday as items on the top shelf were frozen. Always ice cream in the freezer, rock solid.
All vinyl. Floor Runners. Best if you’ve pets. Especially an older dog.
We need very few electric appliances when boondock camping. No onboard genny for us. I added 360 Watts of solar. Carry the small Honda to supplement the batteries if we’re parked under trees or the skies are overcast for several days in a row.
Spent over 200 days in ours last year and likely again this year. Over 20K road miles on this rig so far. No issues beyond expectations.

mlpeloquin

2118 fridge in our 3270 works well. Had a bad external thermostat replaced which obviously improved operation. It’s 2 plus years old. Always on, Mostly electric. Boondock camping right now. Had to turn it down to 5 yesterday as items on the top shelf were frozen. Always ice cream in the freezer, rock solid.
All vinyl. Floor Runners. Best if you’ve pets. Especially an older dog.
We need very few electric appliances when boondock camping. No onboard genny for us. I added 360 Watts of solar. Carry the small Honda to supplement the batteries if we’re parked under trees or the skies are overcast for several days in a row.
Spent over 200 days in ours last year and likely again this year. Over 20K road miles on this rig so far. No issues beyond expectations.

Put a couple of refrigerator fans in there. It will equalize the temperature in the fridge and nothing should freeze.

travelin2

Put a couple of refrigerator fans in there. It will equalize the temperature in the fridge and nothing should freeze.

Already fans. I had it set higher (7) as the temps on Tuesday and Wednesday were in the 90s then dropped to the high 60s. Point is...our 2118 RV fridge works well as did our 1210. Others here on the forum complain theirs doesn’t cool. Just saying...