New Ashland inverter problem?

OToole

Picked up our new Ashland yesterday and spent our first night on the road. Got ready to get underway this morning an d after unhook in shore power the fridge is not coming on. Shouldn't the inverter take over and run the fridge off batteries? Hope this is a simple fix.

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

I think I have seen posted here that there is a switch in the control panel to turn it on and off. It needs to be on when traveling I think.

Jim M

OToole

I tried the switch at the inverter and the in the control panal and still no power to fridge. I'm sure it's something simple but I'm not seeing it.

OToole

I have checked the owner's manual for the inverter. The inverter is not getting any power. The status indicator on the inverter does not come on. The disconnect switch is on.

danemayer

Have you checked the voltage on the inverter side of the fuse?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

osims

bsims
When we bought our Bighorn I had no power to the inverter also. Under my inverter where the 120 volt power came into the unit there was two yellow quick connectors on the Romex wire, the incoming wire had a bad connection, I removed the quick connect and installed a junction box and made permanent connection and everything worked as designed

jbeletti

If so equipped, check an reset the GFCI receptacle on the Inverter. A couple times a year, mine will pop for no apparent reason. Inverter is on but no AC power makes it out the receptacle to the transfer switch and then to the refer.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Diddo on Jim's post there is a reset GFI button in the middle of the plug. also I think there is a Auto/off/Manual button you could try it on manual. I'll go look to see if there is. I know I have one on my big inverter.

Found just a power on off button on the end, push it see if it has power. Also to operate it from the switch inside you do need to hold the button down for a while tell the light comes on.
002be8a5dcdb641c686239a95a83577c.jpg
7e6f0be18a4a78ad8c44857c546cb624.jpg
dcba9cff82ed5721619f856fad902642.jpg
f8d6b5ca13ccee1f3aa740d50a2d6d86.jpg

OToole

Did some troubleshooting and verified there is power coming into the inverter but the inverter will not turn on. While traveling I consulted with the service guy at the dealer and he agreed with my troubleshooting and we agreed the inverter is bad. The Heartland rep called and we reconfirmed a bad inverter. The Heartland rep will have the Heartland service tech call me today to identify a course of action going forward. Should be home today and hopefully get this resolved in the next day or two. Will post the outcome here. Thanks for all the help.

Mike

jbeletti

Mike - it's rare that the inverter is just bad but happy to hear it was diagnosed and a new one is on the way.

Most often, when the inverter has power coming in and it won't turn on, it's low DC voltage coming in.

Looking forward to your happy post with the replacement installed and working :)

Kenneths

Mike - it's rare that the inverter is just bad but happy to hear it was diagnosed and a new one is on the way.

Most often, when the inverter has power coming in and it won't turn on, it's low DC voltage coming in.

Looking forward to your happy post with the replacement installed and working :)

When they changed mine they told me it was common for them to go out, sounds like they more than likely change out a lot that don't need to be changed.

OToole

I finally had the chance to troubleshoot with a good multimeter and got 15+ volts at the batteries and the same going into the inverter. Tried power button and no power. Tried holding the power button for 10 seconds, as someone here recommened, and had light smoke coming from inverter. Conclusion......bad inverter. HL is sending a new one for me to install. Also noticed in the inverter owner's manual that installation in an RV is "mount flat on a horizontal surface only". Are others mounted vertically like mine?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I finally had the chance to troubleshoot with a good multimeter and got 15+ volts at the batteries and the same going into the inverter. Tried power button and no power. Tried holding the power button for 10 seconds, as someone here recommened, and had light smoke coming from inverter. Conclusion......bad inverter. HL is sending a new one for me to install. Also noticed in the inverter owner's manual that installation in an RV is "mount flat on a horizontal surface only". Are others mounted vertically like mine?
Ya both of mine are on the back wall
bee908c385c8c460240df2ed4696de62.jpg

Sent from Jerrod's phone with Tape talk