Trailer Covers - what are you doing this year?

gawelsh

Wow - JJ at RV Shade Shack got back to me at 9:30 last nite - the cost for a custom sized water proof cover for our heat pump is $30 + S&H. It comes in beige, burgundy and dark brown. We'll use yours and Georges measurements of 39 x 29.5 x 10.5 for the cover.

THANKS to JP MORGAN for pointing us to their website !! Nice stuff !!:)

jpmorgan37

Glad they are taking care of you. I'm sure that you'll be satisfied with the quality of their covers.

John

J

Jim_1899

A cover on my Big Horn would have been great to have on tonight. So far we have 3" to 4" of sleet and its to suppost to start snowing late tonight. Jim B. what were some of the pro's and con's that were discussed on RV net besides the cost. Wow storing inside seems to good to be true.

jbeletti

Hi Jim,

From what I recall, the primary con of using an Adco type cover on the RV is the wear that can appear from the cover rubbing on the trailer. I believe this is due to the cover not being super-tight on all areas of the trailer.

I cannot attest to this con from personal experience but this is what I recall reading. Others here may have a couple years of experience with this style of cover and can confirm this or bust it for us.

Jim

RickNB

Hi Everybody
We have placed our Sundance in hibernation for the winter in the backyard. Would love to have a inside storage for it but that just does not seem to be practical so what we do is cover the AC with a small plasctic tarp available at the dollar store and tie it down with bungee cords around the bottom. We also use the same tarps to cover the tires again fastening them with bungee cords. We have the tires sitting on cement patio blocks as well as the landing gear pads. The rear electric jacks have been sprayed with lubricant as well as the slide rails and front landing jacks. All the rubber slide seals have received a good coating of slide seal lubricant. We also sprayed the steps with lubricant as they tend to be an area that seems to show rust early on any unit. AC power is supplied to the unit at all times to maintain the battery charge.
Although we have not had any snow or ice yet it is just a matter of time before it starts.
The plastic tarps will probably be quite worn by spring removal time and will be disposed of but at a cost of $3.00 thats not bad.

Its going to be a loooooong winter with no camping:(

Rick

gawelsh

To Jim and others with the "odd" sized heat pump (39 x 29.5 x 10.5) - the RV Shade Shack brought to our attention by JP Morgan in an earlier post, is most helpful. I've ordered a custom cover for the heat pump for $30 + S&H. He doesn't have a place on his website to order these, so email him with what you need including dimensions and he'll tell you how to place your order. Happy Shopping !

tdharley

I purchased a enclosure for my rig. 42'x14'x12', the BH just makes it in. If you have the room this is the best way out. I can still open the slide (just barely). I can go in & out all winter to do little things.

The cost was around 1200. with shipping.

jbeletti

George,

Did you receive your AC cover yet? Please post about it after you try it out. If you really like it, I'll order one too. Thanks,

Jim

gawelsh

Haven't gotten it yet - just ordered it late last week. I'll give you details when it arrives and after I get it on the heat pump to be sure it fits.

tdharley

Shelter King enclosure

I have attached some pictures of my Shelter King enclosure.

If you have the room this is the way to go.

Attachments

• P1010017.JPG
    P1010017.JPG
    366.2 KB · Views: 67
  • P1010018.JPG
    P1010018.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 62
  • P1010019.JPG
    P1010019.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 56
  • P1010020.JPG
    P1010020.JPG
    381.3 KB · Views: 59

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
tdharley said:
I have attached some pictures of my Shelter King enclosure.

If you have the room this is the way to go.
We are going to be purchasing a shelter for our Landmark soon. My father-in-law bought one a dew years back for his tt that we really like. I guess it is metal or alumnium or I don't know what. I know how much his was and his camper is not as large as mine. So I know I will have more $ invested in mine. Looks as if yours is made of canvas or just what is it made of? How does the fabric hold up to the wind and other weather? I guess the wind is my biggest concern. I found a shelter on the Shelter King website for around 1800.00, which is probably not a bad deal. But like I said what about the wind?

Last edited:

tdharley

I have had it for a few winters now and have not had any problems with wind.

The only problem I had was my own doing. The first year I used a propane heater in it to warm up the inside to do some work...........DUH......... The vinyl covering did not like that. The company warrantied even though they knew what I did.

That shelter of america looks good also. I like the rollup mechanism on that one.

Very tight fit to get the BH in. It fits but not on the first try.I actually had to pull the front flap up hard, over the ac unit. Side to side fits also , again right to the walls. I never leave the slides out so it is no problem for me.

gawelsh

Hey, Jim and anyone else with the 15000 BTU heatpump....the cover came today from RV Shade Shack, custom made to fit. It's a nice quality vinyl with a drawstring . We got the beige , which is really light in color - more like "eggshell". For $30 plus S&H, we're pleased....OH , haven't tried it on yet. That's tomorrow, so stay tuned 'til we're sure it fits:eek:

gawelsh

The cover from RV SHADE SHACK fits great - George put a extra bungee cord on it for added protection - it came with a drawstring that was a little hard to get tight enough. But other than that, the cover is good grade material and very nicely made. Fits perfectly !!!

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I am reading here that some who cover their units with the fabric covers are finding damage when they take the covers off. Is this damage done to the top or sides? And should we decide to purchase one of these covers, any ideas on how to prevent this damage. We would like to put up some type of building,but after looking a little closer at where we park our unit, and our driveway situation, we think we need to widen our driveway and repave ,before we buy a building.

svd

We had some damage on our last trailer. Not serious, but the corners all had an aluminum painted trim with a rubber moulding in the center. The paint was rubbed all off, and the aluminum almost looked like chrome it was so polished from the cover rubbing it. I tried keeping the cover tight with extra around and side to side. I had a tin roof on that unit, so there was no roof damage.