ATF: Landmark - Slide Maintenance

EPaulikonis

Been looking at both the Heartland and Landmark owner's manuals for Slide Out maintenance and there's not much available. I would like to know what brand of slide out is used in the dining and kitchen areas that uses the rack and pinion type setup. I believe both are hydraulic Lippert through-frame assembly, but need some confirmation.

If they are Lippert hydraulic, they don't require any lubrication...true? Just feel like I should be adding a lubricant to the setup, but I have no idea where I should apply or what type of lubricant, if any, is appropriate for the system. Assume minimum would be to apply some dry lithium to the exposed ram arm when extended. System is free of debris, but I can see spot rust starting to build on the gear and tracks.

I do have a copy of the Accu Slide manual for the bedroom slide out that uses the electric motor with cable setup, so that's not an issue.

Appreciate any feedback so I can maintain the system properly. Thanks.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a can of slide lube (WD40 kind of stuff) that I bought at Camping World that I spray on the gears and tracks every couple of months.

Been using it for a couple of years now on our previous Heartland Trail Runner and our current Heartland Prowler.

GWRam

I like the idea of putting some sort of lube on the hyd. rod or the gears, but, when I called Lippert they told me not to put anything ever on the hyd rod. And indicated I shouldn't put anything on the gears either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxCowboy

We're at the coast. Not putting some sort of lubricant and/or protectant on the exposed parts of the slide mechanisms is just asking for a rust and corrosion issue.

EPaulikonis

Understand and exactly why I'm asking the question. I also feel not protecting the exposed components is going to cause issues. I'm going to be applying Fluid Film to the exposed frame pieces and am interested if that application would also suffice on the tracks for the slides. Otherwise, I'll probably go with a dry silicon-type application in an effort to minimize dust/dirt getting trapped on the components I'm trying to protect.

I also found a manual on this site that recommended applying synthetic motor oil using a pump oil can to lubricate the rolling gear mechanism. It was found on p.11 & 12 of the Lippert Hydraulic Through Frame Slideout Owner's Manual.

We're at the coast. Not putting some sort of lubricant and/or protectant on the exposed parts of the slide mechanisms is just asking for a rust and corrosion issue.