'09 315 bunk house winterization questions

We have for the first season owned a 2009 Sundance 5th wheel
i took the time last night to winterize it. a bit different than the other TT we owned as it has an outdoor shower and the hot water heater is gas only.

shut the heater off last Sunday.

Ensured the pump was off and opened the kitchen taps to drain off any pressure
Removed the rod from the bottom of the heater tank and noticed it was covered in a sort of slime and the outer ledge outside had a pile of small rusted bits of what looks like metal.

Inside I went to the hot water heater which is under the fridge and looked for the 3 cut off switches as in the diagram.
Could only find the top and the bottom one.

My 1st question is do i need to install one in the center?

It appears that by the color in the tube i have the flow diverted in the loop so it didn't include the heater.

By the time i went to take a picture of it DW had wiped the rod off and cleaned the outer ledge of the heater.

My second question is - has anyone got an idea what the slime like stuff in the tank and on the rod would be? It was sort of a slime brown.
any way to clean this out?

Attachments

• water heater by pass.JPG
    water heater by pass.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20151014_185404.jpg
    IMG_20151014_185404.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 16

danemayer

We have for the first season owned a 2009 Sundance 5th wheel

Inside I went to the hot water heater which is under the fridge and looked for the 3 cut off switches as in the diagram.
Could only find the top and the bottom one.

My 1st question is do i need to install one in the center?

Hi mILcOP4523,

It looks like your plumbing lines are PVC rather than PEX. Is the whole trailer like this, or just the area around the water heater? I'm wondering if a previous owner changed out some of the lines.

I'm also wondering if the valves might be 3-way valves that route water through to the rest of the fixtures, while cutting the path to the water heater.

Any way to contact the previous owner?

winterization and spraying antifreeze part 2

PART 2 of the winterization
in the pass through there is a tube which Heartland is glad to supply tied into the water lines.
Found it....

so while i was trying to suck the pink stuff into the system the pump just hauled air. the by pass valve was open for the syphon tube (white) but i couldnt get anything to haul from the jugs.
So i unscrewed and attached my own from the last TT we owned.
Found a slimy sort of stuff similar to the stuff seen in the HW tank and the on the rod - so im wondering if i need to disinfect the holding tank next spring REALLY REALLY WELL.

and if so whit what?

when i re-attached the white hose Heartland supplies and started the pump inside again i heard a lot of thumping on the side of the trailer.

Apparently i was spraying DW outside who was hooking up the sewer line for draining.

The antifreeze appears to be coming back from the city water inlet for some reason.
Shutting off the red line which turns into a blue line going directly to the pump (as seen in the image attached), should have removed the back feed to the holding tank (or would i be incorrect in that statement.) and not the city water inlet.

The servicing diagram (also attached) seems to indicate that's the other valve to shut off.

was i missing something as to why the pump would not pull the antifreeze out of the jug or why the antifreeze punched back and flooded the wife with a new hair color?

Attachments

• winterization tube.JPG
    winterization tube.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 13
  • pink.jpg
    pink.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 15
  • water shut off.jpg
    water shut off.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The two valves at the water heater provide bypass when they are both in the correct position.
Thank your wife for providing a good chuckle. :)
There is a check valve at the fresh water inlet. Looks like yours needs replacing.
In the mean time you can get a plug and seal that inlet. Or, as I have done, attach a piece of water hose and kink it off.
Don't know about the slimy stuff but I have seen it in my coach. Others have as well.
Oh, I have given my wife a shower by the same means although it was fresh water from the tank.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

the lines around the heater look like PVC while the remainder of the lines are PEX
all the lines going into the underbelly are this style of line PEX.
Drain lines are PEX

is that a good or bad thing?

I figured as much I can't see where the original owner would have changed the hot water tank but ...

I also was able to take a paper towel roll and pull some disgusting sludge out of the the HW tank.

Took a couple pics and will post tomorrow from my office.

I've seen so many different ways to clean the holding tank system I don't know which one is correct.