Winterization

Sniper

Just got back from winterizing our Cyclone. Saddest day of the year. Anyone else already done this, or preparing too? Oh well on to planning next years adventures, and hopefully this may be the last Winterization we ever have to do.

Safe Travels everyone. :)

Lynn1130

Nope and I won't be doing that. This is the time of year when we get to rub in in a little to those that have to worry about low temps and winterizing. Makes up for those 110-115 days during the Summer.

Bones

Nope and I won't be doing that. This is the time of year when we get to rub in in a little to those that have to worry about low temps and winterizing. Makes up for those 110-115 days during the Summer.
One day, one day I will not have to worry

Sniper

HaHa! I don't blame you one bit. LOL Maybe we will be parked right next to you one of these Winters! :)

Miltp920

I winterized the Cyclone today. I was getting a lot more air this year than last year. It was pink but very aerated. Hot water heater was bypassed. It was not sucking out the pink stuff like I expected it to, but I was getting pink out so I kept going. The pump was not shutting off when I shut the faucets, like it did last year. I knew something was wrong, the pump should be shutting off, but could not put my finger on it. I took the basement wall partition off behind the UDC to expose the pump, and I saw no leakage. Then for no known reason, it seemed like the system finally tightened up and started working right, and i got pink flow without air, and the pump started shutting off when I closed the faucets. I thought it was a big bubble and the system finally got solid. I pushed some more pink stuff out each faucet, and finished up the job. Then, when I went to put the wall partition back in, I saw pink stuff under the pump, not much - 1/8 cup. I took a closer look, and I found this threaded cup like thing on the suction side of the pump. I think the writing on this device said suction or vacuum side. It was loose, I could tighten it up maybe a 1/8 or 1/4 of a turn. I think it was drawing air still moving the pink stuff until it sealed up later when I thought things started working right. Anyway, I thought I would put this out there, in case someone else can't figure out why the pink stuff is so aerated. Check this cup like thing on the suction side of your pump tight. I will do this first from now on. I guess a season of going down the roads loosened it up just enough to cause me problems.

Sniper

I winterized the Cyclone today. I was getting a lot more air this year than last year. It was pink but very aerated. Hot water heater was bypassed. It was not sucking out the pink stuff like I expected it to, but I was getting pink out so I kept going. The pump was not shutting off when I shut the faucets, like it did last year. I knew something was wrong, the pump should be shutting off, but could not put my finger on it. I took the basement wall partition off behind the UDC to expose the pump, and I saw no leakage. Then for no known reason, it seemed like the system finally tightened up and started working right, and i got pink flow without air, and the pump started shutting off when I closed the faucets. I thought it was a big bubble and the system finally got solid. I pushed some more pink stuff out each faucet, and finished up the job. Then, when I went to put the wall partition back in, I saw pink stuff under the pump, not much - 1/8 cup. I took a closer look, and I found this threaded cup like thing on the suction side of the pump. I think the writing on this device said suction or vacuum side. It was loose, I could tighten it up maybe a 1/8 or 1/4 of a turn. I think it was drawing air still moving the pink stuff until it sealed up later when I thought things started working right. Anyway, I thought I would put this out there, in case someone else can't figure out why the pink stuff is so aerated. Check this cup like thing on the suction side of your pump tight. I will do this first from now on. I guess a season of going down the roads loosened it up just enough to cause me problems.
Glad you got it figured out Milt. I used to do our Jayco Octane toy hauler, but we pay to have our Cyclone done. Already looking forward to de-winterizing. :)

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I will be winterizing our Prowler tomorrow (Friday) . . .

I am taking it in next week to get some warranty issues repaired and my dealer offered to winterize it for free, but I turned them down as this will be the first time for me to winterize this trailer and I want to know all of the valves as we will be taking it down to Arizona in February and I'll need to know how to dewinterize it when we get down there.

sengli

Last year we were able to camp until the second week of November, before the hammer and temps fell. DW and I love to camp in the cool crisp fall air. In years past we actually camped over the thanksgiving holidays, and for the most part we were the only people in the campgrounds.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I took a closer look, and I found this threaded cup like thing on the suction side of the pump. I think the writing on this device said suction or vacuum side. It was loose.
FYI, that cup like thing is the filter housing.
And I found mine was loose at one time as well, good idea to check it once in a while.
Thanks for the reminder.

Peace
Dave

Sniper

Continued with our winterization ritual today (sigh). Cleaned & swept the basement and garage, and stored all our gear. Placed moth balls under all the sinks, in the front closet, in the dove tail storage, basement, and in the battery compartment. Lubed slides, and silicone sprayed the big foot leveler cylinders. Almost done.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Winterized the plumbing today . . . drained and flushed out the water heater and fresh water tank.

Blew out the water lines and the black tank flush with an air compressor, then used 2 1/2 gallons of the pink stuff.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
What a PITA. Seems like it would be easier to move to a warmer climate :)

That is what I was thinking Jim. Even before moving into rig full time we still camped 12 months a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Jim, How many years did it take to get to where you are now? I hope to do that some day.

Guess since my late teens. I put it up if we have been there. I didn't put up the foreign countries like Japan (US Army), Granada (Cruise), Mexico, Puerto Rico, Dominica, Venezuela, Jamaca We just love to travel. Would go more is the $ were there.