Yeti package

I purchased a 2013 Landkmark Mesa, there is a switch that says Yeti in the control center. How do I know if I actually have this feature?

jimtoo

Hi moonpigeon,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

If you have a switch, you should have the system installed. You might drop the belly cover a little on one side and look to see if you have heater pads on bottoms of tanks. I'm sure some of our other members will jump in soon with more suggestions.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

danemayer

Would i be able to use the rv during the winter in Missouri?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Hi moonpigeon,

There are a lot of considerations when using the RV in winter weather. For one thing, it depends how cold it gets. The Yeti package provides holding tank heaters that will keep the holding tank contents from freezing. There's also heat tape on the underbelly portion of the fresh water feed line coming out of the fresh tank. But you'll also want to run the furnace so that heated air is pumped into the underbelly.

We have an owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide that contains a rundown of what you need to do to keep the water running in very cold temps.

You'll probably want one or two ceramic disc heaters to supplement the furnace on cold mornings.

If you'll be in the same place for a while, an external propane tank is a must have. Consult your local propane company to get a 125 Gallon Tank set up.

olcoon

Moonpigeon,
Welcome to the Heartland family! We live in KC, but the only winter camping we've done is in Texas, and that won't help for the weather we have in Missouri! Like Dan said above, check out the guide and it will help a bunch. I do know that there are some people that stay in their rigs in the winter and are pretty comfortable, there are some that take ski trips to Colorado. I'd think that with the weather we have in MO, you should be OK, depending on the weather we are having at the time.

Think about joining the club, we have a lot of fun at rallies, there is a regional rally coming up this spring in Branson, which will be a lot of fun.

Rcnewell11

I am curious on tank heater pads .I wonder if there is heating pads under fresh water tank also and both gray tanks and black water holding tanks.I know there is heated water line tape for line going to pump.I just want to make sure fresh water doesn't freeze in cold temps before it gets to heat tape.I am running furnace all the time and just wondered if this is installed from factory.I have also wondered on how much water and gray and black water needs to be in tank before I turn on tank heaters to keep from melting tanks or thermostat and misc stuff.thanks Rob

danemayer

I am curious on tank heater pads .I wonder if there is heating pads under fresh water tank also and both gray tanks and black water holding tanks.I know there is heated water line tape for line going to pump.I just want to make sure fresh water doesn't freeze in cold temps before it gets to heat tape.I am running furnace all the time and just wondered if this is installed from factory.I have also wondered on how much water and gray and black water needs to be in tank before I turn on tank heaters to keep from melting tanks or thermostat and misc stuff.thanks Rob
Rob,

You should have heating pads on all the holding tanks, including the fresh tank. However, in my experience, it's a good idea to protect the fresh water drain valve and hose. You can do this by tucking it inside the coroplast, or by insulating it, or by putting heat tape on it. The water below the coroplast and above the drain valve will freeze and the ice can wick up into the tee, blocking the fresh water feed line. The heat tape on that line, if applied correctly and used in advance of a freeze, should protect you. But if you're going to be in extreme cold, you may want to do more.

As for how much water to leave in the tanks to prevent heating pad damage, I would suggest at least 5 gallons. All you need is a little water to dissipate the heat, but the water has to be in the area of the tank where the pad is mounted. Unfortunately, unless you drop the coroplast to look, you won't know where the pad has been mounted on each tank. Also, the tanks can sag a bit in the center over time. So leave enough water in the tank to cover the uncertainties.

happykraut

When I had one of my grey tanks replaced at the factory I asked if it is OK to run the Yeti package with empty tanks. They told me that I could.

danemayer

When I had one of my grey tanks replaced at the factory I asked if it is OK to run the arctic package with empty tanks. They told me that I could.

Bernie,

After burning several holes in my Gray #1 tank by running the heaters on an empty tank for an extended period, I talked with Annod Industries, the supplier of the heating pads. They are clear that you need a little water in the tank, above the location of the heating pad.

happykraut

Bernie,

After burning several holes in my Gray #1 tank by running the heaters on an empty tank for an extended period, I talked with Annod Industries, the supplier of the heating pads. They are clear that you need a little water in the tank, above the location of the heating pad.
Dan, I absolutely agree with you. I was merely passing on what Heartland told me. The reason I asked them in the first place because I thought I might have burned a hole in it myself when I found a leak in the tank. We had camped at MorRyde over New Years and I turned the Yeti package on.

dlw930

Rob,

You should have heating pads on all the holding tanks, including the fresh tank. However, in my experience, it's a good idea to protect the fresh water drain valve and hose. You can do this by tucking it inside the coroplast, or by insulating it, or by putting heat tape on it. The water below the coroplast and above the drain valve will freeze and the ice can wick up into the tee, blocking the fresh water feed line. The heat tape on that line, if applied correctly and used in advance of a freeze, should protect you. But if you're going to be in extreme cold, you may want to do more.

X 2 on protecting the fresh drain tank hose and valve with a heat tape. I have had the drain drop freeze and ice the feeder line to the water pump. A 3' heat tape and some pipe insulation thawed it out and prevented further freeze-ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kathi-27

does anyone know for sure what all comes with yeti option.dealer told me that yeti package includes double pane windows? anyone have an answer. bighorn and big country

danemayer

does anyone know for sure what all comes with yeti option.dealer told me that yeti package includes double pane windows? anyone have an answer. bighorn and big country

Yeti includes holding tank heat pads and heat tape on the underbelly portion of the water feed line between the fresh tank and the water pump. There's also extra insulation in the front and rear caps.

I believe you'll find that dual pane windows are a separately priced option. Here's a link to the Bighorn MSRP sheet showing those as separate. That said, if your dealer wants to sell you both options for $1239 instead of $3252, that would be a great price. Just make sure both are spelled out with great clarity on your order and then verify with Heartland after the order is submitted, that both options were actually ordered.

Kathi-27

thanks for the info on the windows.thought that was the way it was but will get better clairification before I order

This was some good info. I recently purchased a 2016 model BH and even though there is no Yeti switch, I did discover a 15 amp fuze in the panel that is labeled "Yeti". Was this installed in case the Yeti package was ordered?