question regarding pricing on Heartland 357ED Edge

Hey everyone, I am new to forum. I am planning on making my first ever purchase around December. I am researching model and prices. I think I have narrowed down my search to the 357ED Toyhauler (although we don't plan on any toys) We just love the thought of the extra room and patio option.

So.. regarding prices. I obviously want the best rate possible and have researched as much as I could. If I do a general search for that brand and come up with listings on RVtrader I see it varies from 59-76K and most of those variances I see are upgrade reasons like generator included or not.

When I go to make an offer...what is the most reasonable I can expect to come down from these numbers or are they firm. I have been to some shows and it always includes a higher MSRP and then these lower numbers. Are these the bottom or will they go any further?

Thanks so much for your help. I am also interested in doing the deal off season to get the best rate possible. Does the month I do this also generate a different deal. For instance...will I get a different price depending on if I make my offer in Nov...Dec...Jan...ect ect. ?

Thanks!

Gary

guyc66

Gary, I think you will find 30-35% off MSRP is about average to expect a dealer to come off the price and anything beyond that is a really good deal. I'm sure you will get a lot of input here soon. Good luck!

Gary, I think you will find 30-35% off MSRP is about average to expect a dealer to come off the price and anything beyond that is a really good deal. I'm sure you will get a lot of input here soon. Good luck!

Thank you very much,

so when I see something like this...don't bother asking for any more beyond that ....
5619914b2f068273409dfe17.jpg

Garypowell

Gary,

you should ask for more. But I would go two different direction. You work on price and other things that could be of value to you.

1. Call other dealers and simply tell them what you are looking for and can they beat that price. See what they say.

2. Then you go back to this dealer and tell him the price looks attractive but you can get it for his price - X. Of course your second or third price has to be enough lower to offset the cost of the trip....which is something you mention to them.

The he point here is to get them battling each other NOT you.

The last trick once you think you have the lowest price is to say, "ok I'll buy from you but you'll need to install my hitch for free". Or may give you the hitch too.

Gary,

you should ask for more. But I would go two different direction. You work on price and other things that could be of value to you.

1. Call other dealers and simply tell them what you are looking for and can they beat that price. See what they say.

2. Then you go back to this dealer and tell him the price looks attractive but you can get it for his price - X. Of course your second or third price has to be enough lower to offset the cost of the trip....which is something you mention to them.

The he point here is to get them battling each other NOT you.

The last trick once you think you have the lowest price is to say, "ok I'll buy from you but you'll need to install my hitch for free". Or may give you the hitch too.

ohh I like that Gary, thank you.

that makes sense to me... perfectly. I hadn't thought of that.

Thank you!!

Gary (too)

hey guys! so quick update...

I have now found a location that has a few of them and is listing for right around some of the 2016 specials I see. However, these are 2015 models. Like I mentioned before my thoughts were to purchase right around christmas. KNowing that I am already going to see depreciation the minute I walk out the door on a new model. If it is one year older than technically that model should have depreciated even further. If they are asking 59K for a 2015 and I see they are really eager to move it since it has been on the lot for a while. What is a reasonable offer? This Dealer probably doesn't want this thing still around going into 2016.

Per the previous posts...30% is a good price which this would be ...off a 2016 MSRP....given that we are a year older...can I ask for another 10% to make it worth it. What would you do.

Garypowell

Gary,

When I bought my 2008 it was at the end of the 2007 year. I was given a 30% off on the 2007 and then spoke with the dealer with a 2008 and he said he would match the price. To my memory there was a bunch of differences (better) in the 2008 so I opted to take that one.

Not sure what is different between the 2015's and 2016's. you might have to call the factory to get a better idea. Depending on what you hear and what tickles your fancy you can then go either way. But as I have suggested before play one off of the other.....let them know you don't care either way but looking for the best price. Then once you get them down to the lowest pick one you like.

But you always have to be ready to walk out and go some place else...that's the real advantage you have over them. If you walk out this week....you can always walk back in next month and see if they are willing to deal to your liking or not.

Gary,

When I bought my 2008 it was at the end of the 2007 year. I was given a 30% off on the 2007 and then spoke with the dealer with a 2008 and he said he would match the price. To my memory there was a bunch of differences (better) in the 2008 so I opted to take that one.

Not sure what is different between the 2015's and 2016's. you might have to call the factory to get a better idea. Depending on what you hear and what tickles your fancy you can then go either way. But as I have suggested before play one off of the other.....let them know you don't care either way but looking for the best price. Then once you get them down to the lowest pick one you like.

But you always have to be ready to walk out and go some place else...that's the real advantage you have over them. If you walk out this week....you can always walk back in next month and see if they are willing to deal to your liking or not.

Thanks Gary

guyc66

x2 what Garypowell said about being willing to walk out and go someplace else. Salesmen need you to be hungry to buy, but if you show them you could care less about making the purchase until you get the deal on your terms then you have the advantage. It took me 2 years to find the right deal because of this very reason, but when the stars lined up I signed the papers in a matter of days. Of course, I don't expect most people to have that level of patience but the principle remains the same.

the mrs. is the patient one and is doing her best on that front trying to keep me grounded. I am excited. :) but I get you guys. don't be afraid to walk away until the time and price is right. check!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Another thing to consider is how old the 2015 really is. Look at the sticker on the side near the front overhang, it should list the manufacture date. It could be the 2015 was built in 2014. If the dealer has not properly maintained the caulking, there may be some unseen leaks. That's something to make sure you check before accepting delivery -- does the caulking look smooth with no cracking or separating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk