Caution for recent MorRyde I/S owners....

Cjackg

This is a heads-up for anyone that has recently had the MorRyde Independent Suspension & Disk Brake upgrade installed on their trailer. Mine was installed in June, 2015.

Within 200 miles on the road after the install was done, I noticed one of the outer caps was missing from the axle. On closer look it was apparent that the white grease cap inside the hub was loose and cracked and had knocked off the outer cap. Here's a pic of what I saw and what it looked like after I removed the grease cap from the wheel & hub:
IS-hub-failure (2).jpg IS-hub-failure (3).jpg
I contacted MorRyde and they sent me a replacement for the white grease cap. I assumed it was a one-time freak failure.

Recently when some work was being done on my trailer, we found two more failed I/S grease caps when we pulled off the wheels/tires. These could not be seen until then as they did not knock off the outer cap like the first one did, but they were in much worst condition, lots of plastic dust and fragments all over inside the hub... (also shown is a pic of the original white grease cap)
IS-hub-failure (1).jpg hub-orig.JPG

I again contacted MorRyde customer service and they now advised me that the grease caps on some recent installs were defective by the mfg and should be replaced. With 3 out of 4 failures on mine (so far) it sure seems to me they should -all- be replaced. It is not clear just what the timeframe is for the defective caps but probably wise for anyone that has done the I/S upgrade in recent years to check with MorRyde since they dont seem to be issuing any kind of warning to owners.

Hope this helps some others to avoid potential problems that could result if this went undetected long enough.

jbeletti

I too experienced this. I documented it on the forum here. Not sure how many installs were affected but my install was done in February or March of 2015. So I'd guess about 100 systems. MORryde sent me the clear "oil bath" bearing caps. Took me about 1 hour to replace them (thanks LevelUp!).

For us, the "tell" was when in a campground, going very slow, with someone walking alongside the tire area, a clunking sound was heard as the broken cap clunked around the outer metal hub cap.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen those white colored dust caps break before. Did they replace with a clear dust cap or another white one? Mine are clear plastic.
Those broken parts are in an area that most people don't look at and have no idea if there is a problem.
Thanks for the heads up.
I doubt that having them break would have caused any collateral damage.

Peace
Dave

Dean-Pam

I had my upgrade (IS and Disc Brakes) done in April 2015...will definitely take a look before my next trip. Thanks for letting us know!

jbeletti

I had my upgrade (IS and Disc Brakes) done in April 2015...will definitely take a look before my next trip. Thanks for letting us know!

Good idea Dean - remove any wheel and you will know if you have an issue. If you have the white caps, get hold of Gary or Rob and have them send you 4 clear caps.

dewwood

I had a similar experience when I noticed a little grease around the cap on one axle. I pulled the cap and the white grease cap was laying there in the hub cap. I contacted Morryde and they had me bring my unit in and replaced all four with the newer lexan caps at no charge. They also checked the alignment and replaced one of the rubber springs, again at no charge. Rob told me the same thing they had received a bad batch from their supplier and were in the process of replacing any that showed defective. They are standing behind their equipment completely.

porthole

Retired
Just a note - you CAN break those caps, white or clear version when wrestling a wheel back on the hub, especially the 95 pound 17.5" combos.

tracks

Appreciate the post I had the upgrade in May 2015. I’ll be checking mine this weekend.