Purchasing a used 2011 Cyclone 3010 FW TH

Gtoli

Hello all,

My wife and I are looking to buy a used 2011 Heartland Cyclone 3010 and are wondering what input or advise we can get from owners of similar models as for what to look for on inspection as far as problem areas or specific things to check prior to accepting the trailer from the dealer.

Thank you
Gene

jimtoo

Hi Gene,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions from our other family members that have Cyclones, and others also.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new to you unit when you get it.

Jim M

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I would say follow a PDI check sheet as you would with a new one. If it turns something on, moves closes, latches, is supposed to be attached, etc, make sure that it does what it is supposed to do. I would recommend getting on the roof and making sure everything is sealed up and that the caulking is not cracked anywhere.

Gtoli

Thank you Jim.

If we do buy a Heartland, I will be sure to join the owners club.

whp4262

Look for bubbles in the side walls (de lamination) and look at the slide floors for de lamination and rot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

There are a lot of little things that the checklists (PDI) will probably catch. The most expensive issues had to do with a leaking crossover between the two fresh water tanks. That eventually became a big leak problem that required replacing the support wood for the tanks. Was it stored outside? In Arizona that is a big issue. I have not had problems with delamination but did have the fading issues with the front cap that resulted in having to have it painted. You should not have this issue with the white finish but check both the front and rear to be sure. Check that the slides move in and our without scraping carpet or floor. Be sure the generator starts and runs smoothly. Look at the number of hours on the generator. While not a signal of any issues the high number of hours on several used that we looked at stopped us from buying those just from the wear and tear standpoint. Many get used at the Dunes and I was not interested in worrying about the abuse they received.

By now the previous owners should have had all of the problems that crop up in the first year attended to but a detailed list of what they had done would be very helpful. There is no "CarFax" for RVs that I am aware of but you will want to know what broke previously and what was repaired. And a BIG ISSUE. Does is have TowMax tires on it? Make the dealer change them out if so.

I am sure I will think of more later but that is all that comes to mind right now.

After looking at the trailer again I see that it is in Texas? If so much of the same applies as to out door storage and use.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Check for lamination issues in the ramp door, check for calk around the aluminum of the ramp door - they have gotten better at sealing those over the years so it should not be an issue but worth checking. if it was in a primary warm dry area then it is less likely that there would be water infiltration to cause lamination issues with the ramp.

Gtoli

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I will definitely check for delamination in all of the areas indicated and more.

Bob, the tires are certainly a major concern. The dealer (Camping World) assures me they replace tires that are over a certain age. What they replace them with, is the question. I prefer to install tires that over rated for my rig reducing the chance that the tires are the "Fuse" in the system.

Kevin, are there any other items specific to the 3010 of this era that I should check?

Lynn1130

BUT, and I restate my earlier post. Be sure that the tires are not TowMax. The originals probably were. Mine were. If they replaced them with TowMax you still have time bombs on the trailer.

Gtoli

Thank you Lynn, I will be sure to specify NO Tow Max. If they are Tow Max and the dealer is not obligated to replace them, then I will ASAP.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I personally would not settle for anything less than Sailun's or GY G614's. That's a BIG HEAVY trailer. A tire coming apart at 60 MPH can cost thousands of $$$$ in repairs. "For the want of a nail...the race was lost"