Air compressor

I just bought my first travel trailer and am looking at a Kensun Multi-Use tire inflator. Will this be sufficient for blowing out the water lines when it comes time to winterize?

danemayer

Hi Norman26LRSS,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I'm not familiar with Kensun Tire Inflators, but since you only need 20-40 psi to blow out the water lines, if it'll inflate your tires, it will probably work for the water lines. Duty cycle might be a concern as many air compressors aren't designed to run continuously for more than 10 minutes.

RoadJunkie

I don't think you can regulate the pressure on this type of air compressor. Typically, for this type of compressor, you start the compressor and connect it to a tire. When the desired pressure is achieved you disconnect the compressor and then turn the compressor off. Left unattended the compressor will continue to pump to the maximum capacity, therefore unregulated. Also the cubic feet per minute of air will not likely be enough to keep pace with the demand to blow out the lines, even one line at a time. Not sure what others are using, but I use a DeWalt compressor with a 25 gallon tank and the compressor runs continuously when I blow out my lines. I blow the lines out to the point where only a fine mist is expelled from the faucet outlet.

'Lil Guy'

A cheap remedy would be as 5 gallon air tank with regulator at Northern Tool for about $35.00. Just use your tire system to fill the tank to desired pressure and use it to blow the lines. Don't overfill the tank with too much air pressure. You might need to refill the tank several times to get the job done.

Lou_and_Bette

I have the Porter-Cable 150psi pancake with 6gal tank. I couldn't get regulator to lower pressure enough, so I bought small air brush regulator and put it in line. Now able to regulate pressure in small increments. This would work for unregulated compressor. Got the part at Harbor Freight.

'Lil Guy'

Just wondering about using the water heater as an air tank. Air compresses to a dangerous level. Aren't you worried about causing a leak in the seams of the water heater? 1 gallon is 231 cubic inches. Multiply that times your air pressure and you have a lot of air pressure on the side walls. I don't think I would go this route. I guess the side wall would only have the area of the wall as the multiplier but I wouldn't think this is recommended. Just my thoughts on this. I haven't done it yet but I don't think it would take 20 PSI to move the water and clear the lines, let alone 40. OK, what am I missing.

danemayer

Just wondering about using the water heater as an air tank. Air compresses to a dangerous level. Aren't you worried about causing a leak in the seams of the water heater? 1 gallon is 231 cubic inches. Multiply that times your air pressure and you have a lot of air pressure on the side walls. I don't think I would go this route. I guess the side wall would only have the area of the wall as the multiplier but I wouldn't think this is recommended. Just my thoughts on this. I haven't done it yet but I don't think it would take 20 PSI to move the water and clear the lines, let alone 40. OK, what am I missing.
The system, including water heater, is rated to operate continuously with up to 60 psi of water pressure coming out of the campground water supply. I could be wrong, but I think the factory may test it for leaks at 100 psi.

I don't know why 40 psi of air pressure would be different from 40 psi of water pressure.

avvidclif

40PSI is 40PSI, be it water, air, oxygen, diesel, whatever. Some things will compress, some won't. If they compress there is a larger volume in the same space but it's still at 40PSI. Your thinking is a little off on the pressure on the water tank.

'Lil Guy'

I stand corrected. Now, how do you even use the wh as a compressed air tank to blow the other lines?

whp4262

You need volume (Cfm) not just air pressure. Most tire inflators can build the pressure over time but the volume they put out is very low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

To use the tank, don't bypass the water heater. Drain the water from the tank and then fill with air. When you open a faucet, it'll push air through the lines. The air will go through the hot water outlet to the hot lines, and backward through the cold water inlet to the cold lines.

If you have a compressor that puts out enough air volume, this is unnecessary. If you have just a small tire inflator, this might get better results.