Frame Rust

jonesj2

This is a general question to all Hearland owners, do you have rust on you chassis, slide mechanisms or other parts of your trailers?

I know I have large amounts of rust on the right side of my 2009 2900MK on the frame and where the slide mechanisms are located. This has caused me great concern and I am looking for ways to reverse the rust/corrision problem.

Is this something that Heartland will correct under warranty, instead of the owner having to find ways to correct it form getting any worse?

Forrest Fetherolf

Many of the Heartland trailers I've seen in person and photos on this forum have rust..........the frames are built and installed in Indiana. The paint is not a good quality and the frames are stacked outside to endure the weather..........Lots of moisture in northern Indiana.

A good undercoating spray paint will fix the problem.........it may be a warranty item if you try real hard.

Forrest

creeper

1 can of Rustoleum, 1 wire brush, 1 hour of time. Took care rust on the frame. It's just a common frame condition. I did the same for my 2008 truck.

HappyKayakers

I have the same problem, really hoping the factory weighs in on this issue even though it's in the wrong forum. I've used the wire brush, sandpaper, rustoleum on my pin box and hitch. But, I can't see how I can get to all the rust on the slide components. The attached pix are from underneath the curb side slide. There's no rust under the street side slides, go figger.

Attachments

• P5120036.JPG
    P5120036.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 188
  • P5120037.JPG
    P5120037.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 213

Tom of Ypsi

Has anyone used the spray on type of Rhino liner you can buy in a can and if so does if work as well as it does on a pick up bed? I have given this some thought but I do not want to spend money on this product is good old spray paint works better.

pickuphunt

We have a real rust problem while near the gulf in Texas. We had a person in the park that used a spray undercoating distributed by NAPA. I think it works best before rust starts. We did have our 5er done by him. It seems to help. However, I was listening to a FARM program on TV and an ad for a product that appears to be more than just a covering. I did call the ad phone number - didn't pursue it any further. You can see their web site by doing a Google on Rustguy. I am not recommending this product, just making you aware.

flyfishing48

Back in the late 80's and early 90's when I Used to restore old cars I used a product called POR 15. It was the best rust converter and primer I could find. I think the product is still available. I would try Eastwood.
I touched up our new Sundance frame as soon as we got it home. If the rust starts to be a problem I will be looking for the POR 15.

jonesj2

Happykayakers, mine looks similar to yours but my chassis is also rusted on the curb side. I sure hope the factory will chime in as well.

theharveys

My Landmark also had some rust on both sides of the frame, rear electric jack mounts, and around the suspension mounts... although no heavy rust. I brushed it clean and sprayed on some black rubberized undercoating I purchased at Autozone. I check the frame every couple weeks for any additional rust and clean and coat as needed. Hopefully, I will eventually get all the spots where the rust is occurring.

sJv

Yikes! All this talk of chassis rust is troubling. The construction book makes a big deal of frames being powder coated. You should not see rust if this was properly done.

-steve

talley

//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1579&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1189701556 Notice the pencil lifting a large flake of the factory "powder coated" material on frame of a 2006 Bighorn. This was noticed about two weeks after taking delivery from dealer. The frame metal had rust under the coating causing the coating to flake-off. This was same on a large percent of the frame. Paint had "bubbling" and was lifting off the frame in large flakes.

Dealer acknowleged the problem and speculated that it was caused by road salt not being rinsed off from when the coach was delivered to them via Winter roads. Heartland said no warranty on frame coating, Lippert said no warranty after delivery to dealer. Dealer said they would try to resolve issue. Following another conversation with Heartland, they and dealer agreed to split cost of about $1500 to have frame wire brushed, rust treated, primed and top-coat applied. Heartland agreed for customer relations issue, not as a warrant issue. Hope this treatment will be effective... at least an effort was made.

Dealer (ExploreUSA in Seguin, Tx) stood up and accepted burden as did Heartland. However, broad issue is how effective is the coating applied to these frames? Is the problem the coating or application/prep issue?

At any rate, hope this is not a widespread problem...

Last edited:

jonesj2

Talley this is the same issue I have, except is is wide spread on the chassis on the curb side. This may be a bigger issue than just a few and the factory might want to take a look at the process of preparing the metal before coating.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
For what it is worth, all this talk of rusty frames made me nervous. I just spent a good deal of time, on my back, under my rig. I did not notice any rust on the frame, at all. I did notice a little bit on the teeth of the slide mechanism, but I would think that would be expected. I puchased mine last Sept. and noticed the build date was in July. Just guessing here, but being as how this is spring I would suspect that a lot of the frames, on the newer rigs spent the winter outside exposed to the elements. For everybody's sake, I hope the factory weighs in on this pretty soon. I wouldn't be surprised if Jim B. wasn't monitoring this thread and has already passed the word to the powers that be.
Fred

Uncle Rog

We started to have a problem, have been spraying a dry silicone lub on the areas in question, over a period of time the rust has started to go away. I will paint as needed when all is clean.

jonesj2

I know I keep beating a dead horse but here are some pictures of the rust I have been speaking of. The more I think about this I am going to send the pictures to the factory to see how I can have this resolved, notice how corroded the bell and adjustments are.

I am concerned this may be a problem down the road.

Attachments

• IMG_0136.JPG
    IMG_0136.JPG
    445 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0137.JPG
    IMG_0137.JPG
    741.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0138.JPG
    IMG_0138.JPG
    671.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0139.JPG
    IMG_0139.JPG
    502.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0140.JPG
    IMG_0140.JPG
    490.2 KB · Views: 98

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
Looks like there was no protection applied at all after being assembled, no paint, undercoating, whatever...and if it has been on some salted winter roads during delivery, then that is what you will get.

Shadowchek

JonesJ2 That is what my new big Horn looks like. I have started wire brushing and painting to try to get it under control but feel like I shouldn't have to do anything but maintain it not resurect it being new.I should have taken picture before I started but I just couldn't stand seeing it like that. After we do our shake down trip and it goes back to the dealer for the minor issues they will hear about the rust for sure.