Taking the Big Step

dlw930

I retire at the end of the month. We have a contract to sell our house 2 months before we'd planned to list it and are 2 1/2 months away from being full-timers! Lots of downsizing and arrangements to be done in the meantime! Help! What have we done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You can move stuff into a storage facility to get out for now, if you need to. It's easy to move into the RV, it's not easy to cull your stuff to fit into the smaller space. ;)

dlw930

You can move stuff into a storage facility to get out for now, if you need to. It's easy to move into the RV, it's not easy to cull your stuff to fit into the smaller space. ;)

Yep, Erika. Trying to minimize or even eliminate storage volume. House buyers, who have been renting, may buy some furniture, and lawn equipment. We might also do a garage sale. Since we will likely be in RV by March, do you still have spaces for the W TX rally? We hadn't signed up thinking we might be busy with house then, but now looks like all that will be in our rear view mirror.

TravelTiger

Yep, Erika. Trying to minimize or even eliminate storage volume. House buyers, who have been renting, may buy some furniture, and lawn equipment. We might also do a garage sale. Since we will likely be in RV by March, do you still have spaces for the W TX rally? We hadn't signed up thinking we might be busy with house then, but now looks like all that will be in our rear view mirror.

I believe there are spaces available, and even if we fill up the reserved spaces the park is small and there are back-ins that would be just a row over.

We still have storage in Rockwall, in case we decide to buy a house here in Cisco (DH has at least 8 more years before he could collect teacher retirement) -- But I don't miss the stuff!!

We didn't do a garage sale because our HOA limits them to a neighborhood wide sale twice a year. However, we donated a lot of stuff, and took some bigger items to an auction house. We also gave our friends and family the option to take some things. (Like my SIL took our washer/dryer, she just moved to a townhome that had hookups.) Our gasoline-run lawn equipment is at my MILs.

We signed our contract right before heading to the National Rally in Goshen in early June, with a closing date of July 17. So when we returned, we basically had about a month to get out. But we had been decluttering and donating a lot already before that. We had boxes for trailer, boxes for storage, and boxes for donation/sell/give to others.

Last edited:

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
We also have sold out place but it was back in 2012. We still have a storage unit as well and slowly have gone from the biggest one down a size and could possibly downsize again soon. Big furniture was easy to get rid of most of what we have now is the nice China and glassware along with some tailgate equipment and school classroom stuff for the DW so we will have storage for atleast another 12 years or so till she can retire.

'Lil Guy'

I know how you feel. I just started drawing full retirement at 66 but am still working. Putting house on market in January and will quit work upon sale. Pretty stressful situation and will be glad when it's over to get back to some form of normality. Enjoy your new endeavor and hope to see you down the road.

jbeletti

Wow David and Donna - that is awesome news on the home sale front. One step closer to full-timing.

We too are putting our home up for sale (end of January) and we too have had a showing before it's been listed. I am not super-optimistic but I know if we don't start, we'll never finish :)

We're not going full-time though but we're planning to relocate further west - possibly Colorado.

TravelTiger

Wow David and Donna - that is awesome news on the home sale front. One step closer to full-timing.

We too are putting our home up for sale (end of January) and we too have had a showing before it's been listed. I am not super-optimistic but I know if we don't start, we'll never finish :)

We're not going full-time though but we're planning to relocate further west - possibly Colorado.

Wait, what, Jim? Y'all are moving?!!!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Wait, what, Jim? Y'all are moving?!!!

I was looking at your blog and saw you just went to the Blue Bonnet Cafe for pie!

We spent a few days near Marble Falls on Lake LBJ a few years back and I had several pieces of pie there.

And I also have one of these:

BBCcoffeecup-small.jpg

As you can see it is starting to wear out . . . guess I need to go down there and have some more pie!

TravelTiger

I was looking at your blog and saw you just went to the Blue Bonnet Cafe for pie!

We spent a few days near Marble Falls on Lake LBJ a few years back and I had several pieces of pie there.

And I also have one of these:

View attachment 41982

As you can see it is starting to wear out . . . guess I need to go down there and have some more pie!

Yep, best ever!

TravelTiger

The CoffeeCup pie in Hico ain't too shabby either!

Comparing Chocolate Meringue, Bluebonnet Cafe won over Koffee Kup in Hico. We made sure to visit both of these on our latest trip!!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Comparing Chocolate Meringue, Bluebonnet Cafe won over Koffee Kup in Hico. We made sure to visit both of these on our latest trip!!

I remember the merangue being like 10 inches high on the pie at the Blue Bonnet Cafe!

My favorites were the peanut butter and lemon merangue pies, although the key lime was a close third!

Uummmmm . . . guess we may have to find a rally close to there so we can have some!

By the way, their food was pretty good, too!

BBCcoffeecup-small.jpg

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We too have put our home up for sale and getting a little stressed over it. Not yet sure what the future will bring. A smaller home or living in the Horn. Lots of stuff to get rid of. Good luck with your new adventure.

jbeletti

We too have put our home up for sale and getting a little stressed over it. Not yet sure what the future will bring. A smaller home or living in the Horn. Lots of stuff to get rid of. Good luck with your new adventure.

Didn't know you and Patty were looking to make a move - good for you and wishing you all the best.

dlw930

I realized tonight how fortunate we are to be able to sell our house and set out on an adventure that many people only dream about! We're grateful to our Heartland community through rallies, this forum, et al to show us how we can make our dream come true and give us the encouragement to move forward.

dlw930

Update in transition to full-timing: earlier this month, we joined Escapees, subscribed to their mail service and was provided a new mailing address on Rainbow Drive. We have sold most of our furniture using various local Facebook buy/sell pages plus Craigslist for advertising. Our garage sale last weekend was a huge job (even worse since the weather was crappy and we both came down with colds), but was very successful both financially and in getting quantity of leftover items down to a manageable level. We head out with our condo on Goodyears 2 weeks from today. Still lots to do, but there's light at the end of the tunnel...