Entrance for Mice

Westwind

I've having a battle with a mouse in our 2012 Bighorn 3070RL, the first year I foamed the holes around the pipes under the kitchen sink and bathroom vanity, this year I pulled the pipe covering on,the compartment overhead, pipes going to washer/dryer connections front of FW, and stuffed steel wool in either side plugging up the openings.
Caught the stinker in a rat sticky trap last night. I had added some peanut butter and that did the trick. My guess is that he had taken residence in the heat register pipe or down in the belly of the FW. Further examination revealed that when you take the stairway drawer out it opens up into the underbelly of the trailer, probably the way he got in. I took the drawer out and covered the opening with 1/16 luan plywood that I stained to match the cabinet color. It will stay that way until we reach Florida, I don't think I can deal with my wife doing the eek - a mouse is in the trailer again. She spent the morning washing bedspread, vacuuming etc., can't blame her I don't like it either, I hope to do some work in Florida tightening up the undercarriage, but I think I might have it done. Layed down two new sticky traps.

stesmi52

I also have a 3070RL and just started having mice problems. Caught one under the bottom drawer in the bedroom, a couple in the basement. Found some droppings inside the shore power cable entrance. Apparently they follow the cord and gain entrance through the gap above the cable. Blocked it with tape and haven't caught any more - so far. Too bad trailer design didn't provide a cover for when the cable is deployed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

windviewer

I sprayed our trailer with 'mousefree' (search will find it) on the recommendations of others at a place we were staying. Time will tell how effective it is. I did also seal all holes I could find under the trailer with the expanding foam.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I sprayed our trailer with 'mousefree' (search will find it) on the recommendations of others at a place we were staying. Time will tell how effective it is. I did also seal all holes I could find under the trailer with the expanding foam.

I've been using it (MouseFree) for three summers and it works. Besides spraying foam into the open holes in the frame, you may want to put seals around any hydraulic rods protruding through the frame. I used an old inner tube to make covers (on someone else's suggestion). Did this prior to the use of MouseFree.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We've had a couple of mice hitchhiking a ride. Figured they came up the power cord so I put a piece of swim noodle foam here...
4c7f7a5b8bf309690ea42aeb62eb66a8.jpg

Glue boards to catch 'em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadJunkie

Catch them before they get in. We went to a state campground where mice were a problem and the locals were putting peanut butter around the inside rim of a bucket filled halfway with water. The mice would fall in as they went for the "bait" and drown.

wdk450

Catch them before they get in. We went to a state campground where mice were a problem and the locals were putting peanut butter around the inside rim of a bucket filled halfway with water. The mice would fall in as they went for the "bait" and drown.

When I was in the Navy at a shore activity in Germany, I caught one (by accident) the same way. I threw a Hershey bar wrapper into an empty steel office trash can. I came to work the next morning and heard the mouse running around inside the bottom of the trashcan.

brianlajoie

Our trailer is in storage and we found droppings only in the shower pan. We've taped up the frig vents, the furnace vents and hot water vents. Not sure which hole they are coming in. We cleaned out the trailer before putting it in storage, so no food to keep them busy. My wife read that they do not like dryer sheets, so we put some down after we cleaned up. See if this works.

GETnBYE

Further examination revealed that when you take the stairway drawer out it opens up into the underbelly of the trailer, probably the way he got in. I took the drawer out and covered the opening with 1/16 luan plywood that I stained to match the cabinet color. It will stay that way until we reach Florida, I don't think I can deal with my wife doing the eek - a mouse is in the trailer again. She spent the morning washing bedspread, vacuuming etc., can't blame her I don't like it either, I hope to do some work in Florida tightening up the undercarriage, but I think I might have it done. Layed down two new sticky traps.

I call that drawer in the steps the mouse house! EEK!
From the minute I saw it I started thinking of a way to close it up. Hubby enclosed the back side of the drawer with wood and metal mesh stapled into place. I hope we don't get a mouse for a while, it wil make it not feel new anymore. But, I am not sure anyone can find and fill every opening, but we sure have tried. We found many opening in false floors of cabinets. And we always keep sticky traps out during storage, gets the pesky little spiders if nothing else.

Westwind

The day after I cut a piece of Luan plywood to cover the stair drawer opening I found another mouse in a sticky trap in the bathroom. My guess is he was in the trailer when the first one got caught 2 days earlier or got in during the night and got into the trap. The other thing is he could have gotten in under the vanity, I mean under not inside. When I looked way under I found an opening that the pipes go through from the underbelly and even though I had foamed most of it with my fingers I found an opening so I stuffed steel wool into the hole and I will try doing a better job of foaming.
I've really got to get under the trailer and foam or caulk every opening I can find, the big problem will be the opening at the rear of the Bighorn where the hydraulic arm goes into the frame, that is a super highway for mice. Hopefully I have the problem solved until we leave for Florida in 12 days. But I don't feel we are in a win situation
here. The weather has been so warm this December that the mouse season has been extended by a month or two.

JohnDar

The day after I cut a piece of Luan plywood to cover the stair drawer opening I found another mouse in a sticky trap in the bathroom. My guess is he was in the trailer when the first one got caught 2 days earlier or got in during the night and got into the trap. The other thing is he could have gotten in under the vanity, I mean under not inside. When I looked way under I found an opening that the pipes go through from the underbelly and even though I had foamed most of it with my fingers I found an opening so I stuffed steel wool into the hole and I will try doing a better job of foaming.
I've really got to get under the trailer and foam or caulk every opening I can find, the big problem will be the opening at the rear of the Bighorn where the hydraulic arm goes into the frame, that is a super highway for mice. Hopefully I have the problem solved until we leave for Florida in 12 days. But I don't feel we are in a win situation
here. The weather has been so warm this December that the mouse season has been extended by a month or two.

I can't find my file photo of the ram hole covers I made, but they are just a piece of inner tube larger than the opening with a slit cut to a hole slightly smaller in diameter than the rod. They slip over the rods and attached to the frame with small self-tapping screws. Once in place, I applied Gorilla tape over the slit to close it off.

kdubinwa

John,

I wish I could find that picture too. I faintly recall seeing it in some thread. Did you also make a gasket for where the slide rails enter the frame?

Kurt

I can't find my file photo of the ram hole covers I made, but they are just a piece of inner tube larger than the opening with a slit cut to a hole slightly smaller in diameter than the rod. They slip over the rods and attached to the frame with small self-tapping screws. Once in place, I applied Gorilla tape over the slit to close it off.

JanAndBill

In addition to the other entrance points mentioned, there were 4 holes in the frame on each side approximately 2" dia that were not used for anything. I sealed those with expanding foam.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
John,

I wish I could find that picture too. I faintly recall seeing it in some thread. Did you also make a gasket for where the slide rails enter the frame?

Kurt
This isn't Johns mod, but the only difference is the material used. [LINK]

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

No, I didn't seal the slide rails, only the openings for the rams. The area around the rails seemed a little difficult to put anything on. But, since using the MouseFree (sorry if I keep plugging it), there haven't been any mice.

For those just starting to fill the larger gaps and holes, it helps to first tape a piece of windown screen over the opening and then liberally spray the foam onto that. Gives it some structure to cling to. In the front compartment, to fill the gap between the outer wall and framing, I used screen formed into a "U," placed in the gap and then applied the foam to that.

travelin2

I did this after seeing your original post not for rodents so much as cold air intrusion. Rather than make a hole though I just made a slit in the rubber. The ram has a different orientation extended vs retracted.

wdk450

I did this after seeing your original post not for rodents so much as cold air intrusion. Rather than make a hole though I just made a slit in the rubber. The ram has a different orientation extended vs retracted.

I am not sure of how big a diameter circle of rubber you need for the ram seals, but might a round, flat rubber sink stopper modified with a hole cut in the center for the ram, work for this? My sink stoppers measure 5 inches in diameter, and cost $1 each at WalMart.
sink stopper.jpg

travelin2

I am not sure of how big a diameter circle of rubber you need for the ram seals, but might a round, flat rubber sink stopper modified with a hole cut in the center for the ram, work for this? My sink stoppers measure 5 inches in diameter, and cost $1 each at WalMart.
View attachment 42055

Size is more than adequate but it would need trimmed if you punch a hole in the center. The guide for the slide arm is right next to the hole for the piston.

Westwind

Well we are holding our own - no mice since I took the second one out to the trash. Tomorrow I hope to fill in the small holes where the pipes come into the bath through the floor under the vanity. Right now I have steel wool stuffed into the holes but I want something that seals it off better. It should work. Then I'll have to address keeping them out of the bulkhead under the bath, don't need them chewing on those wires. I definitely have to look into John's recommended spray - it sounds like it's better then what I've been using to date.

- - - Updated - - -

John - that screen must have been aluminum so it could keep it's shape? Most of the screen that I have doesn't hold a shape, nylon I think. I'd have to look for some aluminum if that is what it is.

JohnDar

Not aluminum screen. It was some left over "cat resistant" (polyester) screen that I bought online for the house. I used some Gorilla tape to hold it in place then sprayed the foam on. Once it sets, the foam isn't going anywhere.

Again, on the MouseFree, it may not be esthetically pleasing for those who want the underside of their rig to be pristine. You're applying a thin coating of a thick peppermint laced oil to the frame and struts. It will collect dust and never really dries. You can wipe it off with a rag if needed.