ATF: North Trail - 2016 Northtrail 23RBS draining batteries

sclwald

Our new 23RBS has been used a number of times now. For some reason it will drain the two Interstate batteries within a week if just sitting. We have two other 2016's in our family but different model numbers and they can sit for an extended time with no battery drainage.

Batteries have been checked and good.

I live two hours from the dealership so it is not convenient to just "Take it in" unless it is a problem at the end of the warranty period.

Is there a known issue or piece of equipment that constantly runs in these trailers. I have noticed the fan on the fridge will run for an extended period of time after shutting it down but once it shuts off I "Think" it is off.

danemayer

There are some "parasitic" drains from alarms, radio electronics and perhaps some other things. But usually it takes 2 or 3 weeks to draw down a fully charged battery, so you might have something else pulling a little current.

You might consider installing a battery cutoff switch. Here's a link to one on Amazon.

sclwald

There are some "parasitic" drains from alarms, radio electronics and perhaps some other things. But usually it takes 2 or 3 weeks to draw down a fully charged battery, so you might have something else pulling a little current.

You might consider installing a battery cutoff switch. Here's a link to one on Amazon.

I battery disconnect is a great idea for at home storage. But when we camp for a week at a time that doesn't help us as it drains it down. We have to run the generator every day and if we don't get a good charge it definitely shows. I was thinking about maybe a solar trickle charger to offset it while in use.

danemayer

When you say "just sitting", do you mean you have the refrigerator running, along with the water heater? The control boards on the refrigerator and water heater draw power all the time, even if using them in propane mode. If the thermostat is set to Heat, the furnace control board draws power all the time, even when not running. If you use the water pump and the lights, that's more power.

You might need more than a "trickle" charge to avoid running the generator daily.

sclwald

When you say "just sitting", do you mean you have the refrigerator running, along with the water heater? The control boards on the refrigerator and water heater draw power all the time, even if using them in propane mode. If the thermostat is set to Heat, the furnace control board draws power all the time, even when not running. If you use the water pump and the lights, that's more power.

You might need more than a "trickle" charge to avoid running the generator daily.

No I am referring to it being parked at home. Everything is shut off. Nothing is being used. It will not hold a charge on two fully charged batteries for more than a week.

danemayer

No I am referring to it being parked at home. Everything is shut off. Nothing is being used. It will not hold a charge on two fully charged batteries for more than a week.

Sounds like something is drawing power, other than the normal candidates. You'll need to run this down by measuring amp draw at the battery. Fortunately, a very similar thread was started a few days ago that provided some explicit direction on how to find the problem. Here's a link.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Why not keep your trailer plugged in?

We do . . . and have never had a problem.

sclwald

Sounds like something is drawing power, other than the normal candidates. You'll need to run this down by measuring amp draw at the battery. Fortunately, a very similar thread was started a few days ago that provided some explicit direction on how to find the problem. Here's a link.

Thanks Dane for the link. I will investigate it further when it is not -20 outside.

- - - Updated - - -

Why not keep your trailer plugged in?

We do . . . and have never had a problem.

It is just not convenient and that is the only reason why.

- - - Updated - - -

Google Vampire Voltage and you will get your answer. You need a battery cut-off switch.

Going to look into it this spring. Thanks. If I strike out it will be pulled to the dealership before warranty runs out.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If you are going to wait until spring to check this out you might want to pull the battery from the trailer and keep it on a trickle charger in your garage.

Otherwise, you may find yourself buying a new battery this spring.

sclwald

If you are going to wait until spring to check this out you might want to pull the battery from the trailer and keep it on a trickle charger in your garage.
Otherwise, you may find yourself buying a new battery this spring.

Already done. Thank you for the advise. Due to being in Wyoming and the extremely low temperatures in the winter I always pull the batteries off my campers and bring them inside for the six months we don't use them and put them on a battery tender. THis is part of my winterizing checklist.

This is why this is a different problem. I have had two campers before buying this one and it is the only one that has done this. Being new I wouldn't think it would.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Something to check is lights on in one or more of the compartments and the light over the stove, The antenna booster also can drain a battery quickly.

I have left the non-LED light on over the stove because it can sometimes be hard to see if it on. The antenna booster is hidden away and leaving that on will surprisingly quickly drain the batteries.

sclwald

Something to check is lights on in one or more of the compartments and the light over the stove, The antenna booster also can drain a battery quickly.

I have left the non-LED light on over the stove because it can sometimes be hard to see if it on. The antenna booster is hidden away and leaving that on will surprisingly quickly drain the batteries.

Very helpful. I will have to check on the antenna booster. I know it is not the oven light as all lights have been checked. I will also check the compartment lights. Thanks

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I bought some LED strip lights for my storage area because our stuff would move around and turn them on. The factory lights just stick out to far.