Differences - BH vs BC

Ark. Slim

We are seriously intending to get a Heartland 5er I would like to know what the differences in the big horn and big country other than cosmetic?
From what information I've been able to gather there doesn't seem to be that great of a difference except for price. We will be full-timing and traveling 12-20,000 miles a year. I realize this is a big question but I would really appreciate some help.
THANKS from a new member and soon to be a new Heartland owner.

Shadowchek

From My research I found that the roof construction is slightly different still very good though. There aren't as many cabinets in the bc either. So you lose the nice rear cap you lose some cabinets slight downgrade in roof construction you lose the awning electrical outlet and gain outside speakers. There could be more but that is it for the most part. We came really close to buying a bc they are very nice.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I think the Bighorn is a better rig for fulltiming. When we bought ours there was a Big Country sitting right next to it. You lose a lot of storage with the Big Country. Even though Heartland puts a disclaimer in their owner's manual about the trailers and fifth wheels not being warrentied for fulltiming, I really do believe that they had fulltiming in mind with the Bighorn and weekend or extended camping in mind for the Big Country. They are both fine units and we were impressed with both of them, but we realized that for fulltiming we had to go with the Bighorn. Plus the kitchen in the 3670RL sold lizzy right off of the bat. I just about had to drag her out of the trailer. Next time I go negotiating with the dealer for a new trailer, gonna leave her home. It doesn't give you much of a bargaining position when the DW sits there sighing with moon eyes staring at the kitchen.
Fred

Shadowchek

Yea that is a very nice kitchen and you are right it is mostly about the storage big horn has it everywhere. The Bh is way over kill for how much we can use it but it sure is nice. We came from a 96 dutchman 24' single slide w about a 4' tall bedroom that had rot. Sure love the BH.

tcbrady

I put together a quick list that should point out the main differences. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, Coley

Attachments

• Bighorn upgrades from Big Country.doc
    25.5 KB · Views: 232

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Coley:
I noticed on your list that you indicated that the electric awning and the dual battery station are standard on the Bighorn. Did this begin in the 2009 model? I have an '08 Bighorn and I did not get the electric awning nor did mine come with a dual battery station. Did I miss out or were these not standard on the '08 models? You also mention the central vac, but did not indicate if that was standard or optional.
Thanks
Fred

tcbrady

the electric awning and dual battery tray started with 2009 product. Central vacuum is optional on Bighorn only.

Tom Cobb

I noticed that the list is not accurate for 09 BC. There are a few things that are shown as not optional but are actually opt. on BC because mine has them.

Also the valves for controling the slides not being on the BC are a disappointment. I bet it would not take much to install them. Cut a hose and install a valve. I may end up doing that.

bill40

We have a 09 bc the one item that is on Coleys' list that I feel is very important is the slide system bypass. I have already found several sites that I wished I could have cotrolled the slides instead of moving. My dealer is checking on a price to change my system . Both are great units.

SmokeyBare

After doing a Google search...

It seems to me you should be able to disconnect each line... and add a Ball Valve between the pump and the hydraulic slide cylinder. Perhaps like the photo attached....

Attachments

• thumbnail.gif
    thumbnail.gif
    18 KB · Views: 17

jbeletti

Be awesome if it's that easy Marv. No hoses to buy or connectorize. Just thread the valve inline at the manifold. Nice find.

bill40

Thanks Marv, that might just be the answer, will check it out. If thats all the system needs it should cut the cost down.None

Donna

We special ordered our BC. It is wired for a 2nd airconditioner. We also got the electric awning & corian countertops. We really like our BC. Had a few issues to begin with but dealer was always eager to fix any problems. I wish we could have our choise of which slides to put out but so far it has not been a big issue. We have the '09 3300 model.

SmokeyBare

Bill,

With my Bighorn... there is a block of 3 valves... I'm sure this is a part that might be bought somewhere but I didn't Google search that hard to find a source.

That being said... when I want to open just one slide room... I just turn "OFF" the other two valves. that allows the flow of Hydraulic fluid to go to the slide room's valve I have left open.

You should be able to locate each hydraulic line going to each hydraulic cylinder, and where it connects to the hydraulic pump... attach a valve.

Photo is sometimes worth a bunch of words... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Slide Room Valves 001.JPG
    Slide Room Valves 001.JPG
    412.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Slide Room Valves 002.JPG
    Slide Room Valves 002.JPG
    307 KB · Views: 29
  • Slide Room Valves 003.JPG
    Slide Room Valves 003.JPG
    504 KB · Views: 24