Sick of Heartland Big Horn! Worst purchase we have ever made

Georgia_Biker

I am done with Heartland and Big Horn - they are terrible!

We received our second Big Horn July 17th 2015. ( had many problems with first - should have learned) - the first trip out from the dealer after four weeks we are in Pigeon Forge, TN the Dometic rear A/C went out. We had to cut off our trip and go home.

Dometic replaced it under warranty of course but, still had to take it to the dealer at my expense.

Next trip out after three weeks we are in Shrevport, LA and the front Dometic A/C goes out. We have to cut our trip short again and head home. I contacted Dometic and made them aware of my problems - they replied that if the A/C was bad they would replace it after the dealer diagnosed it. I returned my Big Horn to my dealer ( at my expense) and after he diagnosed it they determined the A/C was bad. The Big Horn was in the dealer two months - they had many problems matching up the unit to get it to work and then the dealer damaged my Big Horn and parts had to be ordered for repairs.

We did not travel in December but left out Jan. 6th on another trip. After being in New Orleans for a week we are now in Panama City Beach with a slow leaking water line - I think it's the ice maker line. I have crawled all under the unit but cannot find where it is coming from. I called my dealer and he has an opening Feb 15th. We'll try to make do a couple more weeks until we can get back home and back to the shop again at my expense and who knows how long it will be there.

I already feel like the next time we go back out it will be something else. I have no confidence in these products and I wish I had never bought another Big Horn. We were planning a four month Mid West trip but, my wife is afraid we'll get stranded out there needing repairs. We are rethinking our trip.

I may not ever buy another 5th wheel but if I do it will not be a Heartland product and I will tell everyone I know!

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
How is a Dometic AC going out the fault of Heartland? They didn't make it, just installed it. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
It has been well documented that Dometic received a bad batch of a/cs after loosing a long time contract with the China company who made these units. Our Landmark has had 3 a/c's (2 in main room and 1 bedroom) replaced. It's not only Heartland who purchases these units from Dometic but also Keystone as well as most other manufacturers in the rv industry who also have had the same problem. As for the water leak - no telling what caused that other than the unit is a rolling earthquake that shakes, rattles and rolls. Hubby at least once a year goes behind the basement wall and checks all the pex fittings. Our unit usually doesn't sit long in that we might put between 20k to 30k miles a year.

CaptnJohn

This time of year even in FL we are rarely using AC. The main would be more than enough. I have problems with my furnace. My dealer is 750 miles away so Atwood is sending a mobile guy to the CG. Noy a fault of the builder, they only installed it.

jbeletti

Larry,

Sorry to hear about losing two Dometic ACs.

With regard to the water leak, if you really feel it's the ice maker line, you need to cut that line off ASAP. Somewhere, there's a shut-off valve - maybe under the sink, maybe under a cabinet or drawer. Letting it leak a couple more weeks will damage carpet and wood if the leak is inside the coach.

Heartland Customer Service (877-262-8032) should be able to tell you where the valve is.

Tundra2084

Can someone please explain to me why it's Heartland fault that the DOMETIC air conditioners that were only installed by heartland is their fault? Can someone,also please explain to me Why it's heartland fault that he has a water leak and from the sounds of it, has not shut the water off to it, which in turn will cause MORE damage? Also why is it Heartlands fault that you have to bring it to the dealers to get repairs when your lucky that the repairs are covered still?
Isn't it like buying a car, knowing that you have to take it in to get oil changes and regular maintenance done, and isn't that at your cost to get it there? Does a car dealership pay you to bring your vehicle in for warranty work or repairs or maintenance? It amazes me that we expect perfection for what we buy but rarely pay full price if we can help it. It also amazes me that we expect the humans who put these units together to be perfect. Amazingly we expect everything to be perfect and do nothing but complain about the poor workmanship, the high prices, the way it should be but rarely ever is.
Sorry but we have had our share of problems with our units both SOB and Heartland and have taken our units in for repairs and maintenance, but we expect that with a home on wheels. We also expect repairs to come up on our sticks and bricks home as well, but we don't blame the builders if the fridge goes on the fritz.

Sorry for the long rant but I really don't know how it's Heartlands fault.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
Why are you cutting your trip short and driving all the way to your dealer? You can have that work done at any dealer or mobile repair shop after calling Heartland for approval.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Larry and Sharon,
It's unfortunate that you have experienced these issues but I fail to see how ANY amount of quality control by any manufacturer would have detected these issues before leaving the factory.
I too would be disappointed if I had to contend with the problems you've dealt with but I don't think Heartland is really to blame.

hoefler

Can someone please explain to me why it's Heartland fault that the DOMETIC air conditioners that were only installed by heartland is their fault? Can someone,also please explain to me Why it's heartland fault that he has a water leak and from the sounds of it, has not shut the water off to it, which in turn will cause MORE damage? Also why is it Heartlands fault that you have to bring it to the dealers to get repairs when your lucky that the repairs are covered still?
Isn't it like buying a car, knowing that you have to take it in to get oil changes and regular maintenance done, and isn't that at your cost to get it there? Does a car dealership pay you to bring your vehicle in for warranty work or repairs or maintenance? It amazes me that we expect perfection for what we buy but rarely pay full price if we can help it. It also amazes me that we expect the humans who put these units together to be perfect. Amazingly we expect everything to be perfect and do nothing but complain about the poor workmanship, the high prices, the way it should be but rarely ever is.
Sorry but we have had our share of problems with our units both SOB and Heartland and have taken our units in for repairs and maintenance, but we expect that with a home on wheels. We also expect repairs to come up on our sticks and bricks home as well, but we don't blame the builders if the fridge goes on the fritz.

What he said!

danemayer

Larry,

I know from your past posts that you've been through quite a few problems, including some horrible dealer experiences - much more frustration than what you mentioned here. I'm sorry that things didn't settle down for you and I certainly can understand that you and Sharon would be skittish about going on a long trip.

I'd agree with Jim that if you suspect the refrigerator water feed line is leaking, you need to find the cutoff valve immediately and stop the leak before there's damage to the wood or carpet.

As for the future, I wish you the best in whatever you choose to do.

kowAlski631

We purchased from McGeorges also. We took it back there once during warranty when we still lived in the area. When we went full-time for a year, we used mobile repair shops, independent RV repair shops, and made repairs ourselves while traveling with the advice from Heartland, manuals from this forum, and advice we received here and from fellow RVers.

We never even considered returning to Ashland for repairs once we left and wonder why you feel compelled to. You do need to get that water turned off immediately. If you can't do it, call for help from Heartland - they can tell you how to do it or even who can do it in your area. You do not have to return to your selling dealer and can't understand why you think you have to.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Sounds like educating yourself on how to handle repairs would go a very long way towards you enjoying your rig. The only thing I have been able to blame Heartland for is my empty bank account...

Bohemian

Larry and Sharon,
It's unfortunate that you have experienced these issues but I fail to see how ANY amount of quality control by any manufacturer would have detected these issues before leaving the factory.
I too would be disappointed if I had to contend with the problems you've dealt with but I don't think Heartland is really to blame.

Simply from reading this forum, there does seem to be a qc issue with Heartland with respect to leaking water connection that has gone on for a long time. Issues like this should be resolved in the factory in a priority timescae. It also seems to me that good dealers, knowing the product, have an even more immediate responsi
Ility for the products they carry.

Georgia_Biker

Dan-

I did call Heartland Service and Art helped me find the Ice Maker Shut Off valve which is under the sink for those reading in. It's raining pretty steady here today so hopefully by the time it quits I can determine if it is indeed the ice maker line.

We bought this Big Horn in July as you know - three camping trips have resulted in three take backs to my repair dealer. We are just sick over the whole thing.

kowAlski631

Dan-

I did call Heartland Service and Art helped me find the Ice Maker Shut Off valve which is under the sink for those reading in. It's raining pretty steady here today so hopefully by the time it quits I can determine if it is indeed the ice maker line.

We bought this Big Horn in July as you know - three camping trips have resulted in three take backs to my repair dealer. We are just sick over the whole thing.

Why don't y'all find out who you can use locally rather than going back to Ashland?

Bones

Yeah. I would strongly recommend either doing repairs yourself or having another guy coming. It would seem that the industry as a whole really needs over-site in the repair department. They are great at selling just not repair.

Georgia_Biker

Hey Frank-
Thanks fortaking time to express your comments about Heartland. I agree it is notHeartland's fault the Dometic A/C's went bad and now I have a water leak.
It is a factthat Dometic had a bad run of A/C's installed in Heartland units as well asothers ie: Keystone, Jayco, etc. As a manufacturer there is responsiblity totheir dealers and buyers to make them aware of these things. In my world ofHeavy Equipment we call it : Factory Recalls or Service Alerts!
Heartlandshould have recalled all of the units and replaced them and put the burden onDometic because they sell and represent their products - not wait and see whoall needs one. My rig had two units and when the first one failed they shouldhave immediatly replaced the other. Instead I had another camping trip cutshort and another two month wait for a swapout.
As far asthe water line leaking - I did contact Heartland and found where the drain cockwas for the icemaker line and I hope that is indeed the water leak - againanother trip back to my repair dealer.

I have onlyowned this unit about 6 months - made three camping trips and each oneresulting in a trip back to the repair dealer.
I am a prettyhandy guy and would and do make repairs myself but, replacing A/C units andtroublshooting water lines will not be covered under warranty if I do themmyself. If there is an inherent problem with water lines then the purchasingconsumers should know and that is a responsibilty of Heartland.
If nothingthat goes wrong with an RV that Heartland builds is their fault and they haveno responsibility then where is the value of Heartland?

- - - Updated - - -

Paul-

I do use a local RV Repair facility - Apalachee RV Repair, Auburn, GA - Services and repairs all makes of RV's but does not sell them. They also handle all Factory Warranty repairs. I have a shop at home I keep my 5th wheel in and do as many services and repairs can myself.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Mike-

I am a pretty handy guy I like to think. I keep my 5th wheel in an outside shop I have and do most services ad repairs myself that I am capable of. Replacing less than three month old A/C's is not something I don't think even you would want to do. It's just I am so frustrated and sick over this purchase.

We have not been able to enjoy a trouble camping trip yet.

Bones

My in-Laws are ready to get out of camping with their SOB. They have had a lot of problems too and in and out of the shop. I hope you get them installed but on another note I know of some one else on here who has gone though 3 or 4 air conditioners himself as well. Your not alone. :cool:

JanAndBill

Truth is the RV industry as a whole has failed badly in handling warranty issues. Yes they don't make the refrigerators, A/C, microwave, etc., etc., etc., but their designers spec them for the application. As such for their warranty term, they should have an obligation to replace them promptly when claims occur. It seems the industry is more concerned with getting units on dealers lots, than in forcing dealers to represent them properly. This last trip I was parked next to a certain "high end" luxury brand recently brought under the Heartland umbrella. I was surprised to hear of all the problems he had with this new unit. The most glaring was the fact that the door frame had been welded in crooked, and apparently the manufacturer was unwilling to fix it because the door opened, closed and sealed. Yes it worked but once you knew it was there it stuck out like a sore thumb.