EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: IA, Amana - 9/29/2016 to 10/2/2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Please add Al and Linda Swanson to the list. I just made my reservation with the campground, they still have spots available.

Looking forward to seeing all of you!

Al

I am happy to hear your joining us at the rally. Thank you for the update on spots.

We are happy to have anyone still interested to join us for the rally!

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
If anyone is still interested in attending the Amana rally, Call and make a reservation, Let me know and your still welcome to attend!

olcoon

Well David, we were tentatively planning on coming up there, it was hinging on getting a call to work the sugar beet harvest. Well, we got the call the other day, so unfortunately we won't be able to make it. You know how it when you are needy & greedy!

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Does this mean that you'll be buying when we go to Mission? You'll have all that dirty 'ol beet money laying around...

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
The Iowa Chapter rally is just around the corner, It is not too late to join the fun! Make your reservation today and then let me know that you can join us in the Amanas!

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
If anyone has a coffeepot and is attending the rally, It would be helpful, if we can borrow it for the rally morning breakfasts....

Thank you!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have been watching the weather in that area. Is the rain as bad as the forecasts? It seems like there is a lot of flooding??

BC

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I have been watching the weather in that area. Is the rain as bad as the forecasts? It seems like there is a lot of flooding??

BC

Most of the rain is north of cedar rapids and is filling the cedar river. The flooding so far is looking to be a bit less than originally forecast.

The Iowa river mostly west and south of Cedar rapids does have some runoff due to heavy rains but the Coralville Reservoir is being used to control flooding further down stream where the Iowa and Cedar rivers converge before they flow into the Mississippi river.

Downtown Cedar Rapids is expecting to be flooded and sandbagging is being done to protect many businesses. There appears to be a curfew and travel restrictions along with closed roads affecting downtown Cedar Rapids.

jimpav

We met an unfortunate couple here at Little Wall Lake campground that have a big horn but no truck to pull it back to Texas. They unfortunately filled their dually with E85 instead of diesel. Would it be possible for them to join the rally BigHorn-less, and truck-less while their truck is getting repaired here in Ames? They have a rental car to use. Would their be a reasonable motel or someplace in the area for them to stay? To add insult to injury, the towing company put them on a a site here without full hookups. I hitched up my truck and pulled the Big Horn to a FHU site, but noticed I had no indication their brakes were working during the pull. Long story short, we opened the junction box by the king pin and found some loose wire nuts which cut the power to the brakes. Got that fixed anyway. At this point they have no indication of the engine damage, as they didn't notice anything was wrong until the truck died on the interstate. Might be a few days and just more than a tank drain and flush. Is there anything we can do for them?

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
We met an unfortunate couple here at Little Wall Lake campground that have a big horn but no truck to pull it back to Texas. They unfortunately filled their dually with E85 instead of diesel. Would it be possible for them to join the rally BigHorn-less, and truck-less while their truck is getting repaired here in Ames? They have a rental car to use. Would their be a reasonable motel or someplace in the area for them to stay? To add insult to injury, the towing company put them on a a site here without full hookups. I hitched up my truck and pulled the Big Horn to a FHU site, but noticed I had no indication their brakes were working during the pull. Long story short, we opened the junction box by the king pin and found some loose wire nuts which cut the power to the brakes. Got that fixed anyway. At this point they have no indication of the engine damage, as they didn't notice anything was wrong until the truck died on the interstate. Might be a few days and just more than a tank drain and flush. Is there anything we can do for them?

Yes, they are welcome to join us.
Are they by chance Heartland owners club members? (either way they are welcome to join us). We can figure something out.

The best bet for a hotel is probably Coralville, Ia or Williamsburg, IA. or possibly a bed and breakfast place in the amanas.
Here is a list of places to stay.
http://www.amanacolonies.com/listingcategory/where-to-stay/

The closest hotels for the area are:
Heritage Inn Amana Colonies
Ramada Williamsburg & Wasserbahn Waterpark

I sent a PM with my phone if you want to call me.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
If your traveling through Cedar rapids or are thinking about Cedar rapids. There may only be one bridge open that crosses the flooded Cedar river. That would be the I-380 bridge.

From the south, The Wilson Ave on-ramp is open and the Hwy 30 interchange are about the only way to get onto I-380 from Cedar rapids. From the north there are a few more on-ramps open. Please check the Cedar rapids city website for road closures, etc.
http://www.cedar-rapids.org/alert_detail.php#Road-Closures

jimpav

Just a quick thanks to the CHAPTER LEADER., Dave, and his family for hosting another great Oktoberfest Rally. Hope to come back next year!!!

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I thank everyone that attended the Oktoberfest Rally in the Amanas this year.

We had a great group that attended and it seems like everyone had a good time.

I am looking forward to having another Oktoberfest rally in the Amanas, hopefully in 2017.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
David, we sure missed being at your rally and Octoberfest.
Date permitting we will be there in 2017.

Peace
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.