Inexpensive LED lights

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
I looked around and found a good selection and at a good price on Amazon. After replacing all of the incandescent bulbs I figured mathematically that the power consumption went from 34.44 Amps /413.28 Watts to 9.2 Amps / 110.4 Watts. Basically each 5050 SMD LED lamp is a 0.4 Amp / 5 Watt unit.

Lynn1130

LEDs are the way to go. There are a number of threads here on different LEDs for different trailers and sockets. Depending upon what you have there are some pretty cheap and reliable LEDs available. I was able to change out every light in the trailer for about $60 (Ebay) several years ago and they are still working great. They are especially important if you dry camp (which we do mostly).

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Gotta be careful with those Amazon bulbs.

At the National Rally in Vegas last October we had a seminar about LED bulbs and lights and how they are not created equal.

When I get home tonight I'll go out to the Prowler and grab the paperwork and post a link.

There was one YouTube video where a guy bought a bunch of cheap LED bulbs on E-Bay and almost torched his RV.

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsZWNM1Iuig

Lynn1130

I have not had that problem but I suppose that you could. I would have to search some to find the vendor on Ebay but feedback on those was pretty high with no problems mentioned. I have been running them for nearly 4 years with no issues.

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
Gotta be careful with those Amazon bulbs.

At the National Rally in Vegas last October we had a seminar about LED bulbs and lights and how they are not created equal.

When I get home tonight I'll go out to the Prowler and grab the paperwork and post a link.

There was one YouTube video where a guy bought a bunch of cheap LED bulbs on E-Bay and almost torched his RV.

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsZWNM1Iuig

I agree, there is some junk on there and you can tell. I read the reviews before I make a purchase anyway. The bulbs I bought are from Yorkim, and I got the red, amber, and clear. Red and amber for the marker lights and the clear for inside. They work great and don't heat up like the others due to the way they are made. That is my experience with them, and it has been positive. I am all ears for anything else you can inform us about! I don't want to waste money on bad products!

danemayer

My recollection from the presentation in Las Vegas was that there are 3 generations of LED replacement bulbs.

1. First generation uses simple resistance approach. Generates relatively high heat (probably still less than incandescent) and could have a short life. LED strips with burned out LEDs may be using this type.
  2. Second generation uses high-speed switching to provide constant voltage to the LEDs even when battery/converter voltage fluctuates. Lower temperature and longer life. Downside is that high-speed switching generates Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) that can interfere with radio and TV reception.
  3. Third generation uses a shielded switching approach that maintains constant voltage while controlling EMI.

Gregg Wilson was the presenter and had 3rd gen LEDs for sale at the Las Vegas Rally. Here's his website.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My recollection from the presentation in Las Vegas was that there are 3 generations of LED replacement bulbs.

1. First generation uses simple resistance approach. Generates relatively high heat (probably still less than incandescent) and could have a short life. LED strips with burned out LEDs may be using this type.
  2. Second generation uses high-speed switching to provide constant voltage to the LEDs even when battery/converter voltage fluctuates. Lower temperature and longer life. Downside is that high-speed switching generates Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) that can interfere with radio and TV reception.
  3. Third generation uses a shielded switching approach that maintains constant voltage while controlling EMI.

Gregg Wilson was the presenter and had 3rd gen LEDs for sale at the Las Vegas Rally. Here's his website.

As I recall, Gregg's LED's also have vents to allow heat to escape from the bulbs, unlike most cheap LED bulbs..