What do you do

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just wanted to pass along a couple of tips.

Will it fit?
To check if you RV will fit in a site measure how far the slide extends beyond the side the RV then mark that distance with a string. Do the same with each slide. Then extend the string the length of the electrical cord. (may have to unroll the cord from the reel to do this). Mark the string for that length and you can then use that string to see if the cord will reach the pedestal.
Put the height of your RV and the truck on the dash where the driver can see it.

Did I unhook everything?
After unhooking walk around the RV double-checking. Follow a check-list if you have one. Have another person, if available, double check what you did and you double check what the other person did.
After hooking up and pulling out of the campsite stop and walk back through the campsite to check for dropped or forgotten items. Don't forget to look at the water spigot and electrical boxes for adapters/connectors. Put a note/clip/ribbon or some there reminder on the gear shift to remind you to lower the TV antennae.

If you have any special things you do the 'rookies' out there will appreciate your input.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Before backing into a site around the site for pipes and posts as well as looking up for obstructions, like branches.

Peace
Dave

While maneuvering around tight campgrounds or into a small site, I have my wife get out and spot for me. We use walky talky's to communicate.

pegmikef

I always get out and walk around the site before backing in checking all the things Jim mentioned. I also look for sudden dropoffs on the edge of paved sites where the dirt/fill has been eroded away (this not only for back, but as a potential tripping hazard after setting up). I always have my wife watch as I back in so I don't overlook an obstacle or do something else stupid.

Ron-Cookie

While maneuvering around tight campgrounds or into a small site, I have my wife get out and spot for me. We use walky talky's to communicate.

I have found that using cell phones work better... I put my phone on Speaker and have both hands ready for other things while the wife directs me around....

MTPockets

I always get out and walk around the site before backing in checking all the things Jim mentioned. I also look for sudden dropoffs on the edge of paved sites where the dirt/fill has been eroded away (this not only for back, but as a potential tripping hazard after setting up). I always have my wife watch as I back in so I don't overlook an obstacle or do something else stupid.
This is pretty much the same as our approach. I really don't want any giving of directions by anyone, but want to know if I'm gonna hit something, just say stop and I'll get out if necessary to re-access.

dlw930

This is pretty much the same as our approach. I really don't want any giving of directions by anyone, but want to know if I'm gonna hit something, just say stop and I'll get out if necessary to re-access.

I tell my wife (usually to no avail) that what I need while backing into a site is information, not instructions. I want to know how much distance I have between the rig and any objects. Of course, before backing, I get out and walk the site looking for things that have already been mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JanAndBill

"I really don't want any giving of directions by anyone, but want to know if I'm gonna hit something, just say stop and I'll get out if necessary to re-access."

Once you've learned to blind side a 53' dry van around cars, posts, people, etc..... by yourself, backing a 40' RV into a site is really not that difficult. The DW and I learned early on, that radio communication between us while I'm trying to concentrate on the task at hand is not a good idea. I don't get mad and she's learned that if I stop and don't move, it's because I can't make eye contact with her. I've also learned that there is nothing worse than an "old driver" trying to give backing directions to another "old driver". Last month in a tight campground, I was trying to dodge a car parked in the way, stay off the grass, and out of the mud, when an old gentleman (the one who's car was parked in the street and not on his site) started giving me backing directions. Problem was he was doing so while standing directly in my way. Finally had to tell him, I had it and please don't help. Later found out he was a retired truck driver, and we were able to share a few tales of the road.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I watch my mirrors for my wife to wave vigorously and throw things.

My wife does that . . . plus gives me the middle finger once in awhile, too! :angel:

We tried the walkie talkies . . . but they don't work as they always have that one second delay!

My truck has bluetooth, so our new mode of communique is the cell phones!

And that middle finger . . . :eek:

DOH!

Seren

There is an Apple app called "RV Checklist" that is wonderful. You can add items to the pre-made lists, or delete items that do not apply to you. There are arrival, departing, inside, outside, and hooking-up sections. I am sure there is something similar for Android.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BudnDonna

There is an Apple app called "RV Checklist" that is wonderful. You can add items to the pre-made lists, or delete items that do not apply to you. There are arrival, departing, inside, outside, and hooking-up sections. I am sure there is something similar for Android.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
RV check list is also on Android.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk