Outside entertainment access door

Aviator

I have a 2016 Charleston with the outside refridge compartment. I have the trailer parked next to a deck on that side that is elevated about two feet. My problem is that the access door for the fridge area only has enough extension to bring it up 90 degrees. Does Heartland make a way to open the door fully so as I can walk up to the fridge without ducking under the door.

jimtoo

HI Aviator,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Hopefully some of our other members will jump in with a suggestion for you soon.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

danemayer

Does Heartland make a way to open the door fully so as I can walk up to the fridge without ducking under the door.

Hi Aviator,

Sounds like you might need to do your own modification. If there are struts limiting the range of motion, and the hinges allow the hatch to open fully, you could remove the struts and put a catch on the side wall to hold that door open.

Here's a link to one type of catch.

sjandbj

Aviator,
I had the same problem with my street side cargo door. The curb side would open high enough but the street side made me duck every time i need to get into the UDC. Even though i have a bedroom slide above the cargo door it could open high enough so i would not need to bend over and not hit the slide. I went online and bought two new gas shocks, I could get them from NAPA but they are a lot cheaper online, and replaced them. I could not be happier and my head does not hurt as much, :)

Regards,
Steve

Aviator

Aviator,
I had the same problem with my street side cargo door. The curb side would open high enough but the street side made me duck every time i need to get into the UDC. Even though i have a bedroom slide above the cargo door it could open high enough so i would not need to bend over and not hit the slide. I went online and bought two new gas shocks, I could get them from NAPA but they are a lot cheaper online, and replaced them. I could not be happier and my head does not hurt as much, :)

Regards,
Steve

Thx Steve, I was hoping that there might be gas shocks that would extend further than what I have. Hit my head several times. Haha! Perhaps you have the website that you could share with me.
Thx again.
Roger

billk263

California-South Chapter Leaders
My Charleston has the same issue. But, if you push up on the door, it does go up more. I'll see if I can get a video of it.
Oops, I guess it does only go up a bit past 90 degrees.

Bill & Irene

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

I would suggest remove 1 factory strut and replace it with one that has a smaller psi rating. Did this on my Rushmore and it s easier to lift the hatch

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-198000 miles !