33BKSS - 10 Improvements we'd like to see Heartland make

2Cav

[edited by Moderator]

We love our new Heartland Caliber edition North Trail 33BKSS! We really do. While we only have one weekend of prep and 47 miles on her so far, we couldn’t be happier with the camper we choose to buy. That said, I’ve noticed a handful of things that could really improve an already awesome model.

1. Can’t open door to bunkhouse in the rear with slide closed.
a. SLIDING DOOR! Seriously, I don’t know how this one got past you. A hard door is good, we actively sought a camper with a hard door as a feature. We wanted to give the kids their own space and us a break. But not being able to access the rear of the camper to load without opening the slide is really bad. We will be looking to convert our door ASAP.​
2. No ladders in the bunkhouse.
a. Come on Heartland... Who buys a bunkhouse and doesn’t want to use the bunks? And at 40K MSRP, there isn’t a customer out there that would flinch at another $150 for ladders. Pass the expense on to your customer at cost and not only will you have a better product, but you’ll also have happier customers. Not to put to fine a point on it, it is a bit of a kick in the ***** to have to buy these at retail and install them just so you can use the unit as designed.​
3. The Bunk over the outside kitchen is very close to the ceiling. And the outside kitchen is very high.
a. Simple fix here, drop the bunk down 6-12” and lose the shelf at the top of the kitchen. It’s too high for and average height person to reach anyway.​
4. Can’t open the refrigerator door with the kitchen slide closed.
a. I don’t know how to fix this, but it REALLY sucks. Not being able to load without opening the slide, or grab a drink when on the road is a pretty big dissatisfier.​
5. Can’t close the king slide with the dinette table in place (it hits the island).
a. Island needs to move forward a little. It is ridiculous that you have to remove the table top just to travel.​
6. Range hood is exceedingly close to the top of the stove.
a. Swap microwave and overhead cabinet to gain more room over range.​
7. Power in the kitchen slide. Currently next to stove.
a. Please move this to the end of the cabinet. No one wants to set their coffee pot next to the range. Or better yet, add a second outlet so the coffee pot can be in the corner where it belongs without unsightly power cords everywhere.​
8. Limited power in “king” slide. The only outlet is inside the dinette.
a. I understand that running power in the outside walls is prohibitive, but by moving that outlet to between the dinette and couch it would be much more convenient and useable. That way if you want to charge a device, or plug in a laptop you don’t have to string the cord across the dinette.​
9. Fender skirts flap around excessively at highway speeds.
a. The fender skirts really need some type of stabilizer. I will likely try to retro fit some type of stabilizer bar before long.​
10. Black tank flush, on the camp side really?
a. The last thing I want to do when taking care of the tanks is run back forth from side to side. Not to mention it’s highly unsightly. On longer trips I’d rather just leave a hose hooked up, but that is prohibitive with its current location.​

Bonus round?
1. Cut out in front cap lacks functional purpose.
a. I thought it was odd, but certainly not something I hate. One cannot however help but wonder why there is a recess in the front cap that seems perfectly sized for propane tanks that is not being used? By moving the propane storage aft, and the battery forward, it would improve the look of the camper the way the front cap is currently designed.​
2. Control panel location
a. I don’t hate that it is in the bathroom. It’s not my first choice, but it is functional. Although it would be much better closer to the door, and it really should be up higher. I hate that it is in reach of younger children. It would also be great if it were covered with some type of door to eliminate the potential of accidents. I will be looking into some type of security cover like for a commercial thermostat to prevent accidents.
3. Carpet in the bunkhouse.
a. Of all the places to leave carpet, in the bunkhouse where the kids and dogs will be would be my last choice. The laminate extending back would have been much better.​

As it turns out, what we love most about our camper is also the cause of most of our concerns. Lots of room and huge slides are great. But it is prohibitive to open them on a residential street due to the size, and as currently configured, it is impossible to prep and load the camper without opening them.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Some of the issues mentioned are not really an issue in a 32 buds. We considered the 33BKSS but noticed some of the concerns you mentioned and also did not like the bathroom by the front bedroom.

Something to consider is that the laminate flooring "should" run the entire length of the coach including the bunkhouse. You could consider removing the carpet if that is really an issue. The nice thing about carpet in the bunkhouse is noise reduction and a warmer floor in cool/cold weather.

32 buds does not have a door but instead a curtain with room to install a sliding door if preferred.

32 buds does not have issue with clearance over stove and range hood.

The cutout in the front cap allows for mounting a box for up to 3 group 31 batteries. The box I used for my batteries used most of the cutout space and no room to spare as the batteries barely fit the box. The cutout was too small for propane tanks and really would be more difficult to place tanks than in their current location. You would also lose the ability to have 30 lb tanks instead of 20 lb tanks if the single battery and propane tank locations were swapped.

I like the idea of an additional outlet next to the sofa. We had a standard dinette instead of the mega U dinette installed. The outlet was actually placed somewhat convenient to the front corner of the dinette but a second outlet should be easy to extent or even relocate to the sofa side of the dinette.

I like the location of the tank gauges as it provides a quick way to check tank levels prior to taking a shower, etc.

The 32 Buds does not have kitchen slide so issues of fridge access, table and island interference etc are not an issue. An additional outlet for the kitchen counter would be handy.

I initially did not like the idea of a ladder not being supplied with the bunkhouse but After not having the ladders supplied and all the poor implementations in those that supply built-in ladders, I like it better without the ladders. a simple aftermarket ladder is easily added or a nice custom made ladder ends up being better money spent.

The black tank flush location seems to be restricted because of the anti-siphon, and vacuum breaker etc used to help protect the water supply. If you locate the plumbing on the inside, you would see how the factory created a loop and such that takes a bunch of space. I KNOW I don't want this all placed over the electrical that is placed on the curbside electrical box and pantry area. Not sure where another location that would be accessible to service the plumbing would be to relocate this.

Fender skirts - I think mine have a strut to reinforce the skirt. I don't really have too much issue with flapping on my 32 BUDS. I did have some issue with my 2010 NT with the skirt screws breaking the skirt around the mounting holes.

I see your from Missouri,
Come to the Iowa Chapter rally this fall! It is in Amana Iowa Sept 29- Oct 2 2016.
https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?p=464578

Last edited:
M

Mcreech

[edited by Moderator]

We love our new Heartland Caliber edition North Trail 33BKSS! We really do. While we only have one weekend of prep and 47 miles on her so far, we couldn’t be happier with the camper we choose to buy. That said, I’ve noticed a handful of things that could really improve an already awesome model.

1. Can’t open door to bunkhouse in the rear with slide closed.
a. SLIDING DOOR! Seriously, I don’t know how this one got past you. A hard door is good, we actively sought a camper with a hard door as a feature. We wanted to give the kids their own space and us a break. But not being able to access the rear of the camper to load without opening the slide is really bad. We will be looking to convert our door ASAP.​
2. No ladders in the bunkhouse.
a. Come on Heartland... Who buys a bunkhouse and doesn’t want to use the bunks? And at 40K MSRP, there isn’t a customer out there that would flinch at another $150 for ladders. Pass the expense on to your customer at cost and not only will you have a better product, but you’ll also have happier customers. Not to put to fine a point on it, it is a bit of a kick in the ***** to have to buy these at retail and install them just so you can use the unit as designed.​
3. The Bunk over the outside kitchen is very close to the ceiling. And the outside kitchen is very high.
a. Simple fix here, drop the bunk down 6-12” and lose the shelf at the top of the kitchen. It’s too high for and average height person to reach anyway.​
4. Can’t open the refrigerator door with the kitchen slide closed.
a. I don’t know how to fix this, but it REALLY sucks. Not being able to load without opening the slide, or grab a drink when on the road is a pretty big dissatisfier.​
5. Can’t close the king slide with the dinette table in place (it hits the island).
a. Island needs to move forward a little. It is ridiculous that you have to remove the table top just to travel.​
6. Range hood is exceedingly close to the top of the stove.
a. Swap microwave and overhead cabinet to gain more room over range.​
7. Power in the kitchen slide. Currently next to stove.
a. Please move this to the end of the cabinet. No one wants to set their coffee pot next to the range. Or better yet, add a second outlet so the coffee pot can be in the corner where it belongs without unsightly power cords everywhere.​
8. Limited power in “king” slide. The only outlet is inside the dinette.
a. I understand that running power in the outside walls is prohibitive, but by moving that outlet to between the dinette and couch it would be much more convenient and useable. That way if you want to charge a device, or plug in a laptop you don’t have to string the cord across the dinette.​
9. Fender skirts flap around excessively at highway speeds.
a. The fender skirts really need some type of stabilizer. I will likely try to retro fit some type of stabilizer bar before long.​
10. Black tank flush, on the camp side really?
a. The last thing I want to do when taking care of the tanks is run back forth from side to side. Not to mention it’s highly unsightly. On longer trips I’d rather just leave a hose hooked up, but that is prohibitive with its current location.​

Bonus round?
1. Cut out in front cap lacks functional purpose.
a. I thought it was odd, but certainly not something I hate. One cannot however help but wonder why there is a recess in the front cap that seems perfectly sized for propane tanks that is not being used? By moving the propane storage aft, and the battery forward, it would improve the look of the camper the way the front cap is currently designed.​
2. Control panel location
a. I don’t hate that it is in the bathroom. It’s not my first choice, but it is functional. Although it would be much better closer to the door, and it really should be up higher. I hate that it is in reach of younger children. It would also be great if it were covered with some type of door to eliminate the potential of accidents. I will be looking into some type of security cover like for a commercial thermostat to prevent accidents.
3. Carpet in the bunkhouse.
a. Of all the places to leave carpet, in the bunkhouse where the kids and dogs will be would be my last choice. The laminate extending back would have been much better.​

As it turns out, what we love most about our camper is also the cause of most of our concerns. Lots of room and huge slides are great. But it is prohibitive to open them on a residential street due to the size, and as currently configured, it is impossible to prep and load the camper without opening them.

I really appreciate the feedback, as always Heartland takes these types of responses very seriously and I will taking these item with me to my next product meeting.
I hope you are enjoying your North Trail.

Thanks again

Mike Creech

2Cav

I really appreciate the feedback, as always Heartland takes these types of responses very seriously and I will taking these item with me to my next product meeting.
I hope you are enjoying your North Trail.

Thanks again

Mike Creech

Thanks Mike!

As I read back the post may seem as though we are displeased and that couldn't be further from the truth. Some of it was meant to be a bit of tongue and cheek humor, although the post was edited by a moderator and lost the humor component in the process. We LOVE our new camper. We can't wait to get out and spend as much time in it as possible. We looked at a great many bunkhouse triple slide models and choose this camper as what we believe is the best of breed. My list above is simply some of the issues or improvements we saw that could be made to really take the camper to the next level. With the exception of the kitchen/bunk redesign suggested, these are largely small things that would have an inconsequential change to the manufacturing cost, but would be huge in usability of the unit.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!
Jeff Ray
St Louis Mo

Crumgater

Great list of items!!

I know WE use our stove top and oven for actual cooking, but I also know there are a LOT of people who put the cover over the stove and use it for counter space - including a spot for the coffee pot, toaster or 'InstantPot' appliance... so, having extra outlets near the stove I think is a good thing - we do carry an immersion blender, which is nice to use on the stove sometimes. :)

Having access to ALL of the RV with slides IN is a big kicker for us. We also pack and un-pack with the RV in the street in front of the house. We do push the slides out on occasion, but for the LEAST amount of time possible. We have traffic cones that we put in the street to warn drivers (who sometimes go too fast down our little street) that there are extra items blocking the thru-way.

And I agree - no matter how "perfect" an RV is (we LOVE our Elkridge)... there's always SOMETHING you think of after you start working and living in it that you'd do different... great thing about this forum - many people have already designed fixes and work-arounds for a lot of them. :)

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Thanks Mike!

As I read back the post may seem as though we are displeased and that couldn't be further from the truth. Some of it was meant to be a bit of tongue and cheek humor, although the post was edited by a moderator and lost the humor component in the process. We LOVE our new camper. We can't wait to get out and spend as much time in it as possible. We looked at a great many bunkhouse triple slide models and choose this camper as what we believe is the best of breed. My list above is simply some of the issues or improvements we saw that could be made to really take the camper to the next level. With the exception of the kitchen/bunk redesign suggested, these are largely small things that would have an inconsequential change to the manufacturing cost, but would be huge in usability of the unit.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!
Jeff Ray
St Louis Mo

I don't know if the moderators have any humor! :cool: Buying a new RV is a lot like marriage in the sense that you find the "perfect" someone, and then try to change them. Some of the items you mentioned are on our list as well. We will never buy an RV where you cannot access the fridge with the slides in. Load out with the slides in is important as well and is a deal breaker for us if we can't. Maybe keep your list in mind when you look for your next rig. Happy and safe travels to you and your family. BTW, what does 2Cav stand for?

2Cav

2Cav stands for 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment. It was the unit I spent the most time with while in the Army. In the mid 90's it was still the 2nd ACR. I understand they changed it recently and that they've been moved again from Ft Polk.

This unit was the closest match to what we wanted. Hopefully there are no more trades in our future until we can go class A, and that is a way off for us :)

Jeff

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Thank you for your service! I thought as much. I was in 2-6 Air Cav late 80's to early 90's. I was mostly checking to see if you left off the 6.

Bgthomas

Doggone articulate post for an Army guy! We love our BUDS as it had nearly all of what we wanted. Not everything, but almost. Really though, great feedback and thanks for your service.