Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What should i expect towing in the rockies

1. Print this Post   #1

What should i expect towing in the rockies

Never pulled a trailer through the mountains. Not sure what to expect. Windage, brakes overheating, transmission overheating etc.

2. Print this Post   #2
    Founders of SoCal Chapter Bob&Patty's Avatar

Re: What should i expect towing in the rockies

For one...fuel mileage will suck. You did not say what TV or what coach you have. That all will make a difference. Does your TV have an exhaust brake? Have you adjusted your trailer brakes? Just need more info on your rig.
    Bob (Old cranky), Great wife Patty, 5 great kids, 11 grandkids

Callie the wonder dog (we are still wondering) and 1 crazy cat "Baby" (RIP at 18 years old). Callie misses her Kitty.

2013 GMC 3500 HD DRW C/C L/B with all the goodies (the grey ghost). AirLift 5000 with auto leveling. 34 gal custom auxillary in bed tank. Spray in bed liner and rubber mat. 16K Husky hitch.

07 2955RL BIG HORN #5103

58 Belair 2dr hardtop, low and slow custom.

HEARTLAND CLUB MEMBER # 1056

3. Print this Post   #3

Trailrunner 24sle towed by a 2014 Ford F150 5.0l 3.31 rear end rated at 7900 lbs with tow package installed. Has factory brake controller. TT is going to be brand new.

4. Print this Post   #4
    Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired travelin2's Avatar

Depends where in the Rockies and if you're only doing the interstates. Obviously you're going to go over the mountain passes and some are higher and steeper than others. The interstates are designed more for the big rigs but IMO there's not much to see other than concrete and billboards. The US Highway routes are more scenic but are typically steeper windy and narrower. Your choice.
    Take your time going up and really pay attention going down. Use your engine brake and lower drive gears and use your brakes sparingly. You'll do just fine. We've crossed the Rockies from southern Colorado to northern Alberta without a hitch!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's All About the Journey"

Lyle & Nancy Mercer,
    Our Chocolate Labs, Rylee-the Puppy & Cheyenne-RIP
    HOC #2655
    2017 Bighorn 3270RS with 18K MOR/ryde Pin, Titan Disc Brakes
    2014 Bighorn 3010RE Retired (for Someone Else to Enjoy)
    2012 F350 4x4 SD Lariat Crew Cab SRW 6.7L Powerstroke
    Pullrite 20K Super Glide Hitch, 35 Gal In-Bed RDS Aux Fuel Tank
    Firestone 5000 Rear Air Bags, Enkay Rock Tamers

5. Print this Post   #5
    Founders of SoCal Chapter Bob&Patty's Avatar

His F150 will not have an exhaust brake and brakes on the truck are probably not that big. The OP needs to take all the down hills very slowly and use the brake lightly and use a lower gear in the trans.. Alternate between using all the brakes and use just the trailer brakes to keep everything under control.
    Bob (Old cranky), Great wife Patty, 5 great kids, 11 grandkids

Callie the wonder dog (we are still wondering) and 1 crazy cat "Baby" (RIP at 18 years old). Callie misses her Kitty.

2013 GMC 3500 HD DRW C/C L/B with all the goodies (the grey ghost). AirLift 5000 with auto leveling. 34 gal custom auxillary in bed tank. Spray in bed liner and rubber mat. 16K Husky hitch.

07 2955RL BIG HORN #5103

58 Belair 2dr hardtop, low and slow custom.

HEARTLAND CLUB MEMBER # 1056

6. Print this Post   #6
    Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired codycarver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rkjpierce View Post
    Trailrunner 24sle towed by a 2014 Ford F150 5.0l 3.31 rear end rated at 7900 lbs with tow package installed. Has factory brake controller. TT is going to be brand new.
    If it's a four wheel drive you can use 4x4 low range to help control your decent. Be very careful to not overuse/burn up your truck and trailer brakes. And don't let impatient travelers "push" you down the hills!!!!
    "In nomine Domini gratis semper"

LIKE and use out our Rocky Mountain Heartland Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocky...89755611155362

Dave & Amy Tardiff and "Tucker" the yellow lab
    Cody, Wyoming
    2011 Bighorn 3670RL Saddle with Cherry interior
    2011 Ford F-450 W/Ford Custom Accessories Reese 25K 5th wheel hitch

7. Print this Post   #7

I am not sure of heartland trailrunner quality. First time buyer from heartland. Also i am uncertain whether my truck is enough to pull that trailer. Truck is rated for 7900 lbs towing, gvwr on trailer is 7500 lbs tow gcwr limit for truck and trailer is 12900. Pulling in mountains with two heavier than normal adults a child and a corgi plus luggage about 650 lbs has me thinking we might be overloaded. I weighed the truck with just me and a half tank of gas and was about 5200 lbs.

8. Print this Post   #8
    Caught In A Mosh

Quote Originally Posted by Bob&Patty View Post
    Alternate between using all the brakes and use just the trailer brakes to keep everything under control.

That is not good advice at all. It is best to set up your brake controller so that everything stops evenly and leave it. Telling the OP to use the weakest, IMO, link on an rv to slow the TV down is setting them up for disaster.

A good rule of thumb is do not go down the mountain any faster than you climbed it, use your transmission and engine to help slow you down, do not ride the brakes but use them intermittently. When going down hill pick your speed of decent before you start down. Gear down your transmission to assist with the speed you want to keep. When braking you want to apply the brakes in such a way that they are allowed time to cool down. Depending on the hill I will let my speed go 5 to 10 mph over what I have decided I want my descending speed to be. I will slow to approx 5 mph under what that speed is and release the brakes. Repeat this process all the way down. Again it all depends on the severity of the grade.

Mike & Anna McKenzie
    Heidi the water dog.
    2017 F350
    2017 Big Country 4011 ERD

You do not need everything to enjoy life. You already have life, enjoy everything.

2015: CO Camp-out, CO Fall Rally
    2016: West TX Rally, CO Spring Rally, CO Fall Rally, Las Vegas National Rally
    2017: KY Rally, CO Fall Rally
    2018: LA Rally, N Central Regional Rally, IA Rally
    2019: W TX Rally

9. Print this Post   #9
    Caught In A Mosh

I am not sure where you got the gvwr on the trailer, but Heartland is advertising that number at 6900 with a dry weight of 4546.

Mike & Anna McKenzie
    Heidi the water dog.
    2017 F350
    2017 Big Country 4011 ERD

You do not need everything to enjoy life. You already have life, enjoy everything.

2015: CO Camp-out, CO Fall Rally
    2016: West TX Rally, CO Spring Rally, CO Fall Rally, Las Vegas National Rally
    2017: KY Rally, CO Fall Rally
    2018: LA Rally, N Central Regional Rally, IA Rally
    2019: W TX Rally

10. Print this Post   #10

Base weight without options is 4546, however gvwr i did mark wrong. Dealer added options is where i got base weight. I figured my numbers this way. Weight without adults half tank of gas was 5200, add on 650 for passengers another 50lbs for fuel i am at 5900 lbs on truck. Dry weight on trailer is 4850. i figure in about 800 lbs in cargo. No water in any tanks so about 5650 on trailer. 11550 pulling down road in mountains truck is rated for 12900 gcwr can it work or will my truck fail me.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast