Which Camper for my F-250?

I just bought a 2008 F-250 4x4 diesel crew cab and am now ready for the camper. I am looking at the Cyclone 3210. The pickup has a 5th wheel tow rating limit of 15,200 and the dry weight of the camper is listed at 10,950. The unit I am looking at has several extras that will add some weight, such as the dual queen beds in the garage, power awning, second a/c, etc..... I will be hauling three Yamaha 250 dirt bikes and occasionally a lifted golf cart. Will this truck be able to handle the 3210 when fully loaded with fuel, water, bikes, stuff and people?

Thanks.........

Peteandsharon

Towing with F250

I would give you one piece of advice so that you don't end up where I currently am. Probably the most important thing to consider is the GVWR of your F250. I own a 1999 F250 and just recently purchased a BH 3055. I figured that the Powerstroke would tow the 3055 and I put too much emphasis on the dry weights of both the truck and 3055. Bottom line is that I now sit with a truck/trailer combination that is easily 800 pounds over the 8800 GVWR that the F-250 is rated at. The truck has plenty of power to tow it but I'm dangerously overweight. When you look at a trailer for your tow vehicle, consider all the weight that will be in the trailer and in the truck in a normal towing situation and make sure that you will be within a safe range. Regards, Pete

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Define handle. Safe and legal? Loaded - I don't think so. The GVWR on the 3210, as well as my 3950, is 18k. My truck is rated (depending on where you look) either 15,900 or 16,000. Can my 1-ton handle my Cyclone? So far, so good. Do I haul it "fully loaded with fuel, water, bikes, stuff and people?" No way! I do have my Harley in the garage and carry a minimum (to me) amount of fuel, clothes, food, stuff, tools and no water...and I'd bet I'm overloaded. :( I just take it nice and slow and pay attention to everything!

I need a bigger truck! I have not yet weighed it, but I will before the end of the month, when I move it next - I'll be heading to Wyoming after the rally in Branson.

Joe Isuzu

Overweight - Legal - Safe - Weight Police.

Please don't flame me, beauty is in the eye of the beholder (weight that is).

I too have a Bighorn 3055RL and a 2000 Ford F250 SRW Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab long bed pickup. The specs show a CGVWR of 20000 and a GVWR of 8800 . My last loaded CAT scale weight was 20540 gross, 4700 steer axle, 5760 drive axle, and 10080 trailer axles. I was 540 over CGVWR and 1660 over GVWR. If you compare the differences of the 2000 F250 vs the 2000 F350 you will find three differences. First the badge, second, one of the rear leaf springs is stiffer (same number of leaves), and the rear pumpkin on the F250 is a Dana 50 vs a Dana 60 on the F350. If you compare the truck to the snow plow or camper versions you will probably find that only the springs are different.

I have a Hidden Hitch 18000 Signature Series hitch and have added Firestone air bags. The truck has 160,000 miles and has been virtually trouble free. The rig drives and pulls like a dream, level and no chucking. Steering is not light and and brakes well with a Tekonsha P3 brake controller. Tires, brake pads and rotors are new. Shocks and steering stabilizers are KYB Monomax Heavy Duty. With the above scale weights you will find that I am well within my E rated tire limits (3415 per tire) and well within my Ford axle weight limits front and rear. The only limits I have exceeded are the two stated above. I feel safe. I pull no faster than 60 and don't worry about my truck tires popping or axles breaking. The 4 truck disc brakes are identical to the 2000 F350.

In one of my past lives I was an air force pilot and flew several different heavy transport aircraft. I am quite familiar with things such as performance, weight and balance, braking action etc. I flew Lockheed C5 Galaxy's for over five years before and after the first gulf war and was operating and max gross weights of 840,000 lbs. With the energy and momentum at the speeds we operated you were well aware of flying and taxiing (like driving two thirds of a football field around on the ground). At times we needed balast for air refueling training so we would tie two 70,000 tractor trailers down in the belly.

Again, being safe, legal, responsible, old, bold, etc is in the eye of the beholder. Stretch the limits too far and Murphy will surely get you. I feel safer driving my rig than I did taking off at 840,000 lbs on a hot August night loaded with 180,000 lbs of jet fuel and 200,000 lbs of class "A" explosives.

I will finally retire (again) in three years and do realize I need a bigger truck. I am a great Toyota fan and hopefully Toyota will make available a three quarter or one ton diesel truck soon and I will return to Toyota. My youngest son works at the Toyota Tundra plant in Princeton, IN and tells me if I can hang on for a couple of years Toyota will make me happy!

Knowing the rules, limitations, weight ratings, et al makes us all much safer at what we do. Ignorance is not bliss and if we sometimes stretch the limits at least we are well aware that we are and can adjust for it. Those who totally disregard (because they are ignorant of the limits) them are the truly scary ones.

So, I think there are many of us who want or need more truck and will adjust when able. Drive safely, adjust for conditions, and enjoy life!

Steve S.

PS - Weight police don't flame me! Thanks.

F-250 vs. Cyclone 3210

Thanks for the replies.... I really don't know what all of the technical stuff mean, but only know that Ford publishes the "Fifth-Wheel Towing Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight" of 15,200 lbs. for my 2008 F-250 SRW 4x4 short bed crew cab with 6.4L Turbo Diesel. I don't know anything about the king pin weight, etc. I would not expect the weight of the loaded trailer to exceed 15,000 lbs. Does this mean that my truck would be fine to pull the 3210? Again, thanks for any help you can provide.

Ford also specifies a maximum payload for your truck. I believe it is 2,800 pounds. Payload is everything you carry in or on the truck and includes, among other things, passengers, cargo, your hitch or pin weight and the weight of the hitch itself. If your unloaded pin weight is 2,130 pounds (from the Heartland website) and the weight of the hitch itself is 100 pounds, this leaves you 570 pounds for family and gear without factoring the increased pin weight of a loaded trailer. I think it is safe to say you are going to be over your payload rating.

- Jack

truknutt

Committed Member
mrdoodihead,

First of all, congrats on the new truck! That's the good news. :eek:

Secondly, the specs for the 3210 you are quoting need to be updated. I just picked up an '09 3210 in January. :confused:

I have a 2003 F350 CC PSD Dually w/3.73s which is factory rated at only 12,800 lbs / 20,000 lbs GCWR. I used the Heartland Cyclone spec sheet to make my decision because the dealers here didn't have any on their lots...and boy, was I duped!
The 3210 used to have (3) 5200 lb axles, (7) 225/75R15D tires/wheels and a Max GVW of 18,000 lbs.
My 2009 3210 has (3) 6000 lbs axles, (7) 235/80R16E tires/wheels and a Max GVW of 20,400 lbs. I deleted the rear beds but added the Onan generator.

I towed it home empty and I'm here to say that this is one heavy trailer! Needless to say, I will be buying a new tow vehicle this year (where is that IRS Stimulus check??!!). :D

You will add on the weight really quickly with all the storage this trailer offers. 75 gallons of freshwater + 12 gallons in the water heater, 60 lbs of propane tanks, 30 gallons of gasoline in the filling station. Here is an online weight converter to help figure the weights.

My suggestion would be to look at the Heartland Razor series. The 3110DS has a similar floorplan to the Cyclone 3210 with weights specs well within your trucks limits. ;)

Last edited:
razor 3110ds

thanks for the suggestion. What makes the 3110ds so much lighter? It has larger water storage. Does it come with the dual a/c? Itlooks like the floor plan is almost the same.

truknutt

Committed Member
Mr Doodihead (I laugh each time I type that),

The only thing I can say for sure, is that it has 1 less axle and 2 fewer wheel/tire combos. If you check out the Heartland RV Website (Cyclone & Razor sections), there are factory promotional video tours you can view. These tours were very informative.

I saw on the "Standards & Options" page that there are 10" & 12" frames; this could be where some of the weight is. Also, on the floorplan I don't see a loft over the garage & the water heater is 10 gallons.

Possibly one of the Factory's toyhauler Reps will chime in and break it down for you.

Moderators----does this need to go into the "Ask the Factory" section to be addressed for "mrdoodihead" (LOL, there I go again!) :D:D:D

The 'Nutt

Last edited:

Shadowchek

No Just gives you a better ride takes load off of your springs and keeps you level. The way I understand it your weight limits are your weight limits the weight is on the brakes tires axels and drive train no matter how you try to disguise it.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
No. They will not increase the Gross Allowed weight of your truck. Whatever is on the door post as the GAWR is what is allowed. The air bags will give you a better ride, better handling, and will help to level the truck and trailer out so that there is not so much squat on the back of your truck. But they will not increase the legal allowable load of your truck. I have been known to be wrong in the past, but that is my understanding of it.
Fred

Hi, I have a 2004 F-250, Shortbed, 4x4 crew cab diesel. I just added 2 springs to each side and had my load leveling spring re arched and have no problems pulling our 2008 3210 Cyclone. I was told to remember bags can blow springs cant. Springs support/distribute the weight better.

deee2

I think a lot of questions need to be answered. Like how much is the pin/hitch weight? Are you over the axle ratings or tire ratings? We had a great 2004.5 Dodge 2500 HD, and it towed our 10,000 lb trailer like a charm. But once we weighed our new Bighorn we decided we wanted the peace of mind and safety of the dual wheels and a F350, with the highest weight ratings to satisfy any lawyer should that ever be necessary. We have weight to spare now. I suppose that means hubby will look at a larger 5er in a few years? NO WAY! lol

Be safe.

Donna :)