Soon to be new owner

Well I figured I would give this a try, I have never put a message on one of these sights before so forgive me if I do it wrong. I ordered a 3950 fully loaded and it is sitting at the dealer waiting for me to pick it up. This is my first RV and everything I know about RV's I have learned from the web and talking to other owners. I am active duty Army preparing to PCS to Fort Richardson, AK. I was originally supposed to move to Fort Irwin, CA so I ordered the unit to live in full time instead of renting apartments, but now I am faced with a big decision, should I try full time or should I get an apartment. I am also wondering about the trip to Fort Rich I have a 05 F350 crew cab 4x4 DRW 6.0 with 4:10 rear. Will this trip be too hard on the truck? I have owned and operated semi's in all lower 48 plus Canada and Mexico be I know pretty much nothing about RV's. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
I can't give you advise about your tow vehicle. Welcome to the family though.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Definitely - thanks for your service! And congrats on the 3950! I love mine. I've had it about 2-1/2 months, it's my first RV and I am living in it full-time while working away from home. I purchased it so I will have something I've always wanted- and to keep from buying someone else a motel. (Not to mention, my per diem $$ pays for it all!) No doubt in my mind, we made a great choice with Heartland.

You'll learn a ton by reading this forum. I can't imagine how people got/get along without it. It's our most valuable tool...use it. And free, too! A lot of questions you'll come up with have probably already been addressed here, just search by keywords. If you don't find it, don't hesitate to ask away! Lots of knowledgeable, experienced, seasoned and crazy folks on here. Oh...and real helpful, too. As far as being worried about doing something wrong here...we have Gestapo moderators to keep us in line! Just kidding! :D

I'm currently in OK but will be headed to Wyoming mid-June for another job. Mine also came fully loaded and before I picked it up, I had the dealer add heating pads to the holding tanks to keep them from freezing. I knew I would eventually be living in cold climates in the winter. I plan to do a bit more insulating underneath and add some heat tracing before heading north and will definitely purchase some skirting to install around the bottom.

We do have an active forum member from Anchorage, AK - (CGibson), maybe they will see this and chime in about conditions that far north. I've never been there but have recently considered the possibilities of taking a job there. I would certainly talk to some folks who have the first hand knowledge.

So far my truck has been great, but I still wish I had a bigger one. The Cyclone is rated heavier than my Chevy. It's also my daily driving, work truck. Enjoy the Cyclone!