Couple o quick questions

D-DAWG

Hi all,
New owner of a 2015 Sundance 3720res and new to the owners forum as well. Couple o things I was hoping to get some information on.
I have the power rear leveling jacks, on my old travel trailer I would take quite a bit of weight off of the tires with them but wondering if that is a bad idea considering the weight of the fifth wheel?
Also we have 2 swivel rocker/recliners (side by side) and I'm have an issue securing them down while traveling. When they delivered the rig to the dealer from the factory they had them back to back which created tears and holes in the back of them (HL Repaired the damage under warranty) I have tried side by side , front to front, bracing them against the wall, putting folded up towels and pillows between them but because of the rocking motion nothing seems to keep them from wearing against something. I do strap them down tight but again doesn't keep them still. My only other thought is to turn them upside down but their pretty heavy and seems like that would be a pain.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
D-DAWG
(Dino D.)

danemayer

Hi D-Dawg,

Congratulations on the new Sundance and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

If you have the 4 point hydraulic auto-leveling system (2 jacks in front/2 in back) you can take weight off the wheels. I'll usually take a little weight off to help stabilize things.

But if you're talking about rear stabilizers, electrically operated via a scissor type of worm-gear arrangement, they're not strong enough to lift the trailer. And if you do manage to get a little lift, you might have trouble getting the motor to retract them.

Before we changed out our recliners, we always arranged them sideways, back-to-back. We laid a small towel across each, and a placemat over the tops before strapping them down. That worked well for us.

MTPockets

We used the straps that came with the Big Horn to secure them back to back. Never had a problem. We've since replaced them with a couple fixed arm chairs that we don't have to move. Replaced sofa with two Lazyboy chairs.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If we're talking rear stabilizers and not hydraulic jacks, you'll hear the motor complain loudly if you try to lift the rig with it. Then it might stop talking to you altogether. One technique to use it is to level the rig front to back and side to side, drop the front about 3/4", and then run the stabilizers down snug to the ground. Then return the front to level.

Depending on what style of recliners you have, if you set them back to back, tight to the wall and then tighten the straps, they should not move. Our fabric recliners had the simple base ring and I put the slider discs under them, and they still don't move easily...even when I want them to. You do have the small rings on the floor to clip the straps into, don't you?

Ron-Cookie

We secure the Glider/Recliners back to back and put a pillow between the recliner lever and the back wall on the unit that has the lever facing back... Works good for us... I also get the trailer level then lower the front about a inch, tighten up the rear stabilizers and then bring up the front jacks again... Don't want to put too much on the rear stabilizer motor...

Welcome to the Sundance and the Heartland Owners forum...

D-DAWG

Thank you for your ideas and generous offer for the straps. I think I need to strap them down tighter and maybe use something to brace them underneath so theu cant rock.

Happy Camping!!!!

lishshel

I had the same recliner issue, but I think I have it solved now. I just had some slip/travel covers made for just the backs. They look like a wide pillow case that slips on the back down to the arms. Very simple. I had mine made out of vinyl hoping they would last a long time and protect the chairs from tearing again. Good luck.

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
We had a Sundance 3270RES also. It was a great rig. When we traveled, I would turn the recliners and push them together back to back and strap them down snug. Never had a problem. The biggest problem I had with the recliners was my upper body was not heavy enough to keep them reclined. It was a constant fight when reclining. I also installed a set of JT Strong arms and they made all the difference in the world with stability