Bighorn easy to break in

lamontagne

Hello everyone,
First let me say that my Wife and I love our 3055.

Last Tuesday we went to pick up the Bighorn from storage to take to the dealer for another air conditioner, well I hitched up and my wife said there's a open window oh no yes we were robed the tv, stereo, all of our personal items, including my aftershave the got in through the side window cut the rubber seal and slid the latch open.....................

To day i drilled a small hole through the inside window frame and taped with 10-24 tap then using a 10-24x 1inch thump screw you can not slide the window.

There have been a lot of robberies in the area according to the police.

Be carefull

Lamontagne

jbeletti

Sorry to hear about your break-in :(

If you get a chance, please add a picture of the security item you added. It may help others.

Thanks,

Jim

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Any RV is easy to break into...all you can do is discourage them...or slow 'em down. If they want in...they will get in.

Shadowchek

We had that happen on our last fiver they just broke the entry door window. they took everything exept what was under the bench seats. Even my favorite camping shoes and made a complete mess. I agree with Lefty if they want in they can get in. I feel for you because I know how mad I was. Half of the point of getting the BH is to minimize loading and unloading so we increased our insurance and are going to have to take a chance I guess. The BH looks alful good next to a lot of the other SOB's that makes me nervous. I wish I could cloak it to look like an inferior sob while it was in storage again sorry for your loss. If they could come up with an alarm system that takes very little power maybe. Any security tips would definately be a good thing to share.

Greg

Forrest Fetherolf

Hello everyone,
First let me say that my Wife and I love our 3055.

Sorry to hear about your break-in............I see that you live in Henderson, NV...........why don't you attend our Nevada Rally Sept 26-28. So far 10 Heartland owners are planning the trip. I live in Sun City Anthem Henderson, NV.

Forrest

Attachments

• Heartland Owners Rally.pdf
    78.7 KB · Views: 20

jbeletti

Lamontagne,

Consider accepting Forrest's invitation to the LV rally. You can show us your mod :)

Greg,

A few on the forum have installed security systems. A thought would be to install a system with a couple of piercing sirens (inside and out). Have that system powered by it's own 12 VDC battery that is hidden and have a solar panel on the roof keep that battery charged for you. It may do nothing to deter a thief. Or it just may scare them off.

One of the forum members with an security/alarm system has a unit with a cellular module built into it. So it can notify the alarm monitoring system or you. If it called you, you could call the police right away and at least maybe catch the thieves. they likely hit multiple units at once so I'd guess they'd be there for a little while.

Jim

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Lamontagne, I hate to hear that. Not much worse than some dirtball stealing your stuff. I feel your anguish. Last Dec 1st, I had about $10,000 worth of tools and software stolen out of a rental truck - while parked in my driveway, and the alarm was set! They broke the window on the driver's side back door. I was told afterward, that the alarm only works on the front windows. Dirtballs know this.

Security tip: Sell the stix & brix, go fulltime, maximize usage, no storage fees, leave German Shepherd when on short outings! :D

And...add the security system w/cellular notification. :)

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Say, we're very sorry to hear about your break-in. In the past we stored our rig in open storage and to me it seemed a wonder that there was anything left after people got through with it. What the didn't take they tore up. I am fortunate at this time to be able to store our BH 3400RE inside under lock and key so we have little to worry about. It is expensive but to me the investment is worth the added expense. Good luck with the insurance claim.

Shadowchek

Lamontagne,

Consider accepting Forrest's invitation to the LV rally. You can show us your mod :)

Greg,

A few on the forum have installed security systems. A thought would be to install a system with a couple of piercing sirens (inside and out). Have that system powered by it's own 12 VDC battery that is hidden and have a solar panel on the roof keep that battery charged for you. It may do nothing to deter a thief. Or it just may scare them off.

One of the forum members with an security/alarm system has a unit with a cellular module built into it. So it can notify the alarm monitoring system or you. If it called you, you could call the police right away and at least maybe catch the thieves. they likely hit multiple units at once so I'd guess they'd be there for a little while.

Jim

Thanks for the tip Jim

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
One thing you might want to consider if you're thinking about the "piercing siren" both inside and outside your trailer; try to figure out a way to notify you or someone else that you trust with a key so they can come out and turn off the siren if it goes off accidentally-and it will!! Think about the neighbors to the storage lot having to listen to the siren go on and on, especially if it's in the middle of the night. And of course, it won't go off until you're fast asleep after working straight for 73 hours, in a blinding snowstorm or a hurricane......

Maybe rig up a timer on it, because if you have the solar charger hooked up, the battery will never run down:rolleyes: so it's just gonna keep on goin' all day and all night long.

Uncle Rog

We have always been able to store our rigs inside the compound here. Several of my friends have been ripped off as you have, what a ******! They have mostly gone to storing their rigs at more expensive sites, with lights and security guards on duty. A couple we know keep very little in the rig for that reason, the down side is that it takes them more time to load and unload than they get to use the unit! I have no good answer for you here, wish I did.................

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Sorry to hear of the scum breaking into your trailer. I'm fortunate to keep mine on my 1.5 acres waaaay out in the country where we don't even have to lock the doors to the house or even close the door to the barn.

Many dealerships I deliver to take the TVs and a few other items out of the trailers while they sit on the lots because they are broken into a few times a year.

Thieves that have to cut the rubber around the windows to slide the latch open are amatuers as you can get into and out of almost every trailer made without leaving a mark and I will not go into detail further.

v92c

Texan
you can get into and out of almost every trailer made without leaving a mark and I will not go into detail further.

Is there anyway to circumvent this known "hole"? Unfortunately we must think like thieves in order to prevent them from breaking in.

Tony

cmart

Hey guys, let us never forget our neighborhood watch program. If it doesn't look right it probably isn't. 911. And we all do this, but sometimes a little to late, be neighborly.

lhetsler

Also you can put NRA and Security Alarm stickers on your windows. They won't know for sure will they, and they just might move on to another unit.