Lights in Large Slide not working

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
All our lights on the large slide of our 3055 have quit working. I have tried all breakers and all fuses appear OK. All other lights, ceiling fan, etc. are working. Any ideas?

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
All our lights on the large slide of our 3055 have quit working. I have tried all breakers and all fuses appear OK. All other lights, ceiling fan, etc. are working. Any ideas?

Did you check the switch? Disconnect the wires going to the switch and hold them together. If the lights come on...there's your problem. If not..then it's dealer time.:eek:

nscaler2

Wire carrier

This may sound dumb, but have you checked under the slideout on the outside. The flimsy piece of plastic that they use to hold the wires up may have broken at one of the ends allowing the wires to dangle down and rub on one of the tires while you were going down the road, thereby breaking. If you haven't done the attachment to the frame with a door hinge, a broken wire carrier is a strong possibility.

DougLynne

I checked under the slide and all is good. I wonder if these lights are like a Xmas string, where 1 bulb goes, it affects the entire string, any thoughts?
Doug

SmokeyBare

Doug,

I would suggest you one way or another test the 12 Volt wires. You can do this by unscrewing the wall mounted light and using a 12 Volt Tester... check the wires for power.

My 3400RL has a junction box behind the couch. I have not gotten into that junction box but I'm sure all the wires that power both the 12 Volt lights and the 110 Volt outlet are inside that junction box. Simple screw driver to open... and a tester to check the connections inside could be one more location to check.

As we bounce and wiggle the RV going down the road... things tend to happen... even maybe a wire nut may come lose.

I have experienced when I had a 12 volt fuse blown... a red light next to the fuse that is blown comes on. Look at yours... I expect you'll see a row of small red lights next to each of the 12 volt fuses.

Hope this helps...

Marv

DougLynne

Have checked all fuses individually as they were all, except the furnace, labelled incorrectly. I have check nearly all connections at lights and they are snug. The light above the dining table wire came apart and had to find a new mar connector. There is no power at the only wall switch, another little mishap as the switch was stapled to wall and you can't get staples back into the wall, so found some screws.

I have been talking to Garry at Heartland and we have tried a few things. He is to call back.../Doug

Barry & Alana

HI, Doug....I was hopingtoday would be better for you and a solution would come from the factory. Did you try your slide - or is it the lights only? I read you post about the fuses marked wrong. Thats not good to hear..,so we should all check and correect them now so we're prepared for any problems down the road.

DougLynne

It is only the lights. Since we can't find the problem we are trying to decide whether we head into Salt Lake City to get near a dealership or continue on our journey for a while. It is the Memorial Day weekend down here so we won't get into a dealer until Tues. at the earliest.

Can't tell what circuit the lights are on since the list on the fuse circuit cover is totally wrong, so we can't pull a fuse to break the circuit. Very frustrating. Anybody know if we are at risk leaving until we can get service???????

Talked to the factory but we didn't get it resolved, Gary was to call back but I guess he got busy and now the long weekend is upon us.

Had trouble in Elkhart last year at this time and couldn't get resolution to our problem until the rally in Goshen. Maybe we shouldn't travel in the States on this weekend because we always have problems.../Doug

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Lighting problem

It is only the lights. Since we can't find the problem we are trying to decide whether we head into Salt Lake City to get near a dealership or continue on our journey for a while. It is the Memorial Day weekend down here so we won't get into a dealer until Tues. at the earliest.

Can't tell what circuit the lights are on since the list on the fuse circuit cover is totally wrong, so we can't pull a fuse to break the circuit. Very frustrating. Anybody know if we are at risk leaving until we can get service???????

Talked to the factory but we didn't get it resolved, Gary was to call back but I guess he got busy and now the long weekend is upon us.

Had trouble in Elkhart last year at this time and couldn't get resolution to our problem until the rally in Goshen. Maybe we shouldn't travel in the States on this weekend because we always have problems.../Doug

Doug..........Do you have either a voltmeter or 12 volt test light with you ? I'll look at our 3055 and let you know what circuit on the DC fuse panel feeds the large slide.

I do recall having to repair some poor connections on our 3055 shortly after we bought it, but can't recall if they were on the AC breaker panel or the DC fuse panel. I'll get back to you shortly......

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Lighting circuit - Living room slide - 3055RL

Doug..........I took a look at our 3055RL large slide lighting circuit and it is the bottom fuse circuit number 15. On ours there are 18 circuits but only 15 are used. As I said in my previous post, I had to repair a number of poor connections on our fuse panel. The white wires on the back of the fuse panel are the ground wires for each circuit, and are all connected to the ground strip block. On our unit, quite a few white wire ground screws were not tightened on the wire, but were on the insulation of the wires causing a poor connection. You might check yours by removing the four corner screws on the fuse panel and it will pull out enough to work on it. If you don't have a meter or test light, just take a look at the connections on the back of the fuse panel and make sure (particularly) that all the ground strip wires are tightened down on the copper wire, not on the insulation.

Hope this helps.......stay warm.......I see Utah had snow.....

DougLynne

Tom, what else is on that circuit? Ours only has 11 used, we had to go thru everything as their chart didn't match what was actually listed on their listing. Are your 2 rear living room lights beside the bid picture window share that circuit? Thanks, I had checked all wiring and it was good. Every circuit tests at 13.13 volts..../Doug

jbeletti

Tom,

The DC circuit for the slide room is likely spliced at the frame rail or just inside the underbelly in a junction box. Look for it and check the wires there. If the splice looks good, check for 12 VDC on the input side of the splice at that point.

Jim

Same problem

We had the same problem on our 2925.RK. Our lights are on a daisy chain and I found that the first light in the line (one of the small puck lights) had a short. Heartland sent a new one, I installed it and has been fine since then.

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Rear Living Room Lights

Tom, what else is on that circuit? Ours only has 11 used, we had to go thru everything as their chart didn't match what was actually listed on their listing. Are your 2 rear living room lights beside the bid picture window share that circuit? Thanks, I had checked all wiring and it was good. Every circuit tests at 13.13 volts..../Doug

Doug....

I didn't think of checking to see if those two lights are on the same circuit or not . I have an RV Refrigeration Tech coming in the morning to do do the recall fix. Our refrigerator is on the recall also. I'll check those two lights then and let you know.

We didn't have any of the fuse/circuits identified on our fuse panel cover. I think we had the original panel replaced as it was broken when we got the Bighorn. It looks like our units are wired differently. I wonder if there might be some junction connections beneath the dining table light that might have come apart. Might be another place to check as it's closer to the fuse panel than the rest of the lights and might be where they have wires spliced.

Have fun with the Garmin 750, we're still finding features to use on it. I bought an SD card for ours and put a bunch of Country Line Dance songs on it. It works great to listen to the music and pauses the music when a driving instruction is announced. We use the ladies voice and find it's more understandable with our old age hearing.

DougLynne

Jim, thanks for the idea of checking under the slide where the cable goes in I'm assuming. If the lights on the back wall (makes sense, since they are the only thing we could find on that circuit) are on that circuit a splice to go over there should be close by. I did check the dining light but there were only the 2 wires connected by mar(s). Of course when I pulled a little to hard to check, one came apart so had to hunt done a new mar connector.

Tom, we really like the 750, it is so handy compared to the laptop, still use the laptop to plan trips then use 750 for point to point as I wasn't happy with the trip planing (probably user issues).

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Lights

Doug..........On our 3055 the two wall mounted lights on on both sides of the rear window are on circuit/fuse # 10 and are the only things on that circuit as far as I could tell. My "Living Room" ceiling lights near the fan are on circuit/fuse # 13. ALL the lights on the large slide are on circuit # 15.

Thanks to the others and Jim for the suggestions. It appears there are wiring differences between Dougs' 3055RL and ours.

Later today I may take a look for a Junction Box feeding the large slide as it would be nice to know in case we have a problem in the future.

jbeletti

Hi Doug,

Let us know what the fix actually was once you find the break.

Also, I am no RV genius - I called Heartland Customer Service to get the idea. Thanks Jim Fenner!

Jim

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Junction Box under large slide out

Tom,

The DC circuit for the slide room is likely spliced at the frame rail or just inside the underbelly in a junction box. Look for it and check the wires there. If the splice looks good, check for 12 VDC on the input side of the splice at that point.

Jim

Thanks Jim........I looked under our large slide out and found a junction box mounted just behind the left rear wheel. I didn't open it as I remember sealing it good shortly after we got the 3055RL and it probably won't help Doug as his unit evidently is wired differently.

DougLynne

Hi guys, we had to move on today and we're in Green River, Utah.

EUREKA, I got it fixed before setting up. It was the wire going into the frame from the large slide. I made a small cut and reached in and found the wires immediately. As I pulled them out noticed 1 pairconnected with a mar. As I checked the 2nd wire it came out with a mar but no 2nd wire. Looked in and saw another wire with no end, it had broken (actually rusted off). As soon as I stripped them both and connected BINGO lights were working. I wrapped lots of tape around both connections so moisture won't get in as easily.

Thanks all of you for your help, it is simple if you know where to look.

Tomorrow we're off to visit Arches Nat. Park.

Doug