2016 Heartland Oakmont...

badog62

Good evening,
I've got this side by side refrigerator and the freezers on both sides seem to get an abnormal amount of ice on the back wall. Is this typical?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 49

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Badog62, I don't think the factory will answer directly on the forum. However, other owners may chime in with ideas and experiences. I have the same fridge in my Big Country, we will have it a month (fulltiming) in just a few days. I notice ice forming on the back wall already as well.

I have two thermometers hanging in the fridge and freezer. Our freezer runs around 10-20 degrees most of the time. The fridge section runs between 20-30.

The unit Is set at 5. If I make it lower, stuff freezes in the fridge. If I make it higher, the freezer gets warmer (out of the "freezer" range on my thermometer, over 20).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Abnormal ice buildup in the freezer might be an indication of excess moisture. If the air in the coach is warm and humid, that might do it. If you have a poor seal on one or both freezer doors that would do it.

Take a dollar bill and close the freezer door on it. Pull it out. There should be noticeable drag. If not, the doors or seals may have a problem.

badog62

Abnormal ice buildup in the freezer might be an indication of excess moisture. If the air in the coach is warm and humid, that might do it. If you have a poor seal on one or both freezer doors that would do it.

Take a dollar bill and close the freezer door on it. Pull it out. There should be noticeable drag. If not, the doors or seals may have a problem.

I thought it might also be a poor seal, I'll try this. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Badog62, I don't think the factory will answer directly on the forum. However, other owners may chime in with ideas and experiences. I have the same fridge in my Big Country, we will have it a month (fulltiming) in just a few days. I notice ice forming on the back wall already as well.

I have two thermometers hanging in the fridge and freezer. Our freezer runs around 10-20 degrees most of the time. The fridge section runs between 20-30.

The unit Is set at 5. If I make it lower, stuff freezes in the fridge. If I make it higher, the freezer gets warmer (out of the "freezer" range on my thermometer, over 20).

I'm still finding my way around this site. Thanks for the reply, I'll play with the settings and see what happens.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

I'll try this too, Dan, thanks.

Garypowell

But don't loose sight of the fact that ice will build up on the back wall. The problem is trying to define abnormal. In all of mine the left side built up faster and thicker. I have always assumed that is the way the absorption system worked. Saw it in all 5 fifth wheels.

Rschremp

We too have a 2016 oakmont and was wondering if you have had any issues with your dump valves and cables. We have had to have the cables replaced and rerouted? Heartland has been great regarding the issue but was curious