Hitch finally installed

farside291

I adapted an adjustable width Reese Towpower 88001 class II receiver hitch to fit on the back. The hitch was too narrow as is. The 2 inch square side pieces that slide into a fixed center section are the adjustable portions that I extended to reach the brackets on the fifth wheel. I used a pair of 2 inch receiver extensions. One for each side to add the necessary width. Then slid the 2 inch square tubes and mounting brackets that came with the hitch into those. I will have it welded to the brackets before using it.20160227_153244.jpg20160227_153230.jpg20160227_153220.jpg

Bob Vaughn

I installed a simular hitch on my BC then going across I-10 in west Louisiana the bouncing ripped part of the bolts out and I was dragging my cargo carrier with my generator on it.......I got it loose then replaced the bolts with grade 8 bolts plus had it tac welded to the frame....the first time I took it across some railroad tracks wham it did the same thing again only this time I had 2 -20" bikes on the replacement cargo carrier.....I guess I am going to have to go to a welding shop and have the frame extended and a hitch fabricated.....

Oregon_Camper

Went a slightly different route with my hitch. I wanted it to have 2 receivers for motorcycle rack (and a standard single just in case) and I wanted it to be raised above the bottom of the trailer. I removed about 4" off the bottom of the ladder as well....I thought it was simply too low and could drag.

2015-08-10 11.45.41.jpg

farside291

The hitch I put on is a Class II 1.25 inch receiver. So its a little more sturdy than a Class I. To each side of the hitch, I added a 6 inch X 3 inch X 1/4 inch thick L bracket and drilled five 1/2 inch holes through the hitch brackets and through the thin brackets that came welded to the frame and attached with grade 8 carriage bolts. I then had the L bracket welded to the thin brackets, hitch brackets and then to the frame. Very sturdy, although I have yet to haul my bikes on it yet. When I do I will let you know what my DW says about it. She follows behind in her car when we travel to East Texas for work. If they bounce too much I guess I just made a bumper.

Bob Vaughn

I installed a simular hitch on my BC then going across I-10 in west Louisiana the bouncing ripped part of the bolts out and I was dragging my cargo carrier with my generator on it.......I got it loose then replaced the bolts with grade 8 bolts plus had it tac welded to the frame....the first time I took it across some railroad tracks wham it did the same thing again only this time I had 2 -20" bikes on the replacement cargo carrier.....I guess I am going to have to go to a welding shop and have the frame extended and a hitch fabricated.....
I was able to get a mobile welding shop to come to my home and build and install a hitch to the frame of my Big country. He moved the receiver back and welded the new hitch mount to more of the frame of the rv than the bolt on afforded. It was 500 bucks but after seeing all the welds and gussets that he put in I am confident that it is there to stay. I wish I had done this prior to our trip to Alaska.....lesson learned....
IMG_3228.jpg IMG_3230.jpg IMG_3234.jpg IMG_3235.jpg IMG_3236.jpg

sjandbj

I was able to get a mobile welding shop to come to my home and build and install a hitch to the frame of my Big country. He moved the receiver back and welded the new hitch mount to more of the frame of the rv than the bolt on afforded. It was 500 bucks but after seeing all the welds and gussets that he put in I am confident that it is there to stay. I wish I had done this prior to our trip to Alaska.....lesson learned....
View attachment 44487 View attachment 44488 View attachment 44489 View attachment 44490 View attachment 44491

Bob,
I would have to agree with you. That hitch is not going anywhere. Nice job.

Steve

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Lookin' good!

We are still trying to figure out how to carry our bikes with us . . .

Our previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner had the slide-out rear bumper-bike rack.

SDCampsiteSmall-IMG_0548.jpg CamperSlideOutJacks-IMG_0510.jpg CheyenneMtnCO2014-IMG_2096.jpg CheyenneMntSunset-IMG_2100.jpg EndOfTheBlowMaxs-P5100659.jpg TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095052920.jpg TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095110323.jpg

While it was a PITA to use . . . I do kind of miss it.

Notice how in these photos we are parked in the campground . . . and the bikes are still on the rack!

The problem was that it took so long to bungee-cord the bikes to the rack (ie.- skinned knuckles and such) that when we got to the campground I didn't want to take them off as I knew I had to bungee-cord them back on before we hit the road again!

Also . . . go down a dirt road or drive in the rain and you'll find out just how dirty those bikes can get (this is the only use I've found for the outdoor shower thus far).

It was an option (flip-down instead of slide-out) for our 2015 Heartland Prowler, but we decided against it as we are looking for a more traditional way to carry the bikes.