Bicycle Receiver (1-1/4") Option in Landmark

Bicycle Receiver (1-1/4") Option in Landmark - would you order it?

• Yes - We would order this option

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • No - We would not order this option

Votes: 37 71.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jbeletti

This poll is being posted for Andy Wesdorp, the GM for the Landmark 365 product.

Andy is looking for feedback from those considering a Landmark 365 purchase in the future. No votes convey as much to Andy as Yes votes do - so please vote!

Poll Question: If an option was available for a 1-1/4" receiver hitch on the back of Landmark 365 for the purpose of adding a 1-1/4" bicycle rack, would this be an option you would order?

Poll will run for 2 weeks. Votes are anonymous.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Re: Bicycle Receiver (1-1/4") Option in Landmark - Please vote

No !!!!
Now if you would have said 2" I would say YES.
If 1-1/4 was standard equipment I would live with it, but an option I would pass and install my own 2".

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired

2" option

BudnDonna

2 inch. The kyayk /bike combo requires it. .

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders

I have no dog in this fight but voted no. Too much bounce when carrying bikes.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Sorry Jim
looks like I turned your "yes or no" question a multiple choice. Sorry

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Sorry Jim
looks like I turned your "yes or no" question a multiple choice. Sorry

No worries Jerrod. Andy needs to hear all feedback.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

2" also. I have heard such negative feedback on the 1 1/4" hitch/rack, I would not add to my current rig, either, even though the brackets are there.

Followed follow Heartlanders in a caravan that had that rack and the bikes did bounce quite a bit.

mlpeloquin

A 1 1/4" bike rack! Wasn't there a option for that a few years back? Most who took the option found the rack and bikes scraping the pavement. 2" strong option is the only safe option. Why isn't a good mechanical engineer consulted before something like a 1 1/4 hitch bike rack option is suggested? I actually saw the old curved 1 1/4" bike rack option at my dealer when we went to purchase our Big Horn. I am sure the owner wanted them sold off, but my sales man was honest and tole us about just how week they were.

DWH

Totally agree, no to 11/4 and yes to 2". Had this on previous unit. However, understand this as well, I looked at many 2" bike racks (at least 15) and all said they were not for attachment to travel trailer and I would assume this meant 5th wheel also. Presumably because of the bounce. I did it anyway but new no warranty on bike rack. I once followed my unit while my wife was pulling it. She went over a railroad crossing ( not fast) and the bounce had to be at least a foot. Tough on rack and bikes. From then on I wrapped bikes in movers blankets and found a way to place to inside 5th wheel.

Doug Hoeffner
2016 365 Charleston

MTPockets

We had the 1 1/4" factory option on our Big Horn which we insisted upon. The bounce was horrible due to the flexing and wide spacing of the mount between the frame rails. I then had a frame made using 2" square stock and receiver. That was much better, but the bounce was still too much so that was finally removed as well.

Bones

I don't have that option but My thoughts.

-Some manufactures removed the 2 inch hitch option due to misuse of the hitch. From what I have heard is that people were double towing which is hard on the frame because our wheels sit so far forward and it was cracking frames. When the frames were cracking the people would submit claims and the rest is history and the 1 and 1/4 inch hitch was born to try and prevent that.

-Now most bike racks sold of good quality are going to be 2 inch. people with the 1 and 1/4 hitches would have to use and adapter which would shove the bike rack out even further and that acts like a cantilever arm and would eventually break the hitch.

-My thoughts if it would be considered a liability by adding a standard 2 inch receiver is to construct a custom receiver that will only accept the bike racks or other popular options and not be able to accept standard 2 inch receivers. To make this option feasible a partnership would have to be established that would allow reasonable pricing on the option and the custom Hitch receiver accessories so as to not turn potential customers away from the option.

Just some random thoughts.

jbeletti

-Some manufactures removed the 2 inch hitch option due to misuse of the hitch. From what I have heard is that people were double towing which is hard on the frame because our wheels sit so far forward and it was cracking frames. When the frames were cracking the people would submit claims and the rest is history and the 1 and 1/4 inch hitch was born to try and prevent that.

-Now most bike racks sold of good quality are going to be 2 inch. people with the 1 and 1/4 hitches would have to use and adapter which would shove the bike rack out even further and that acts like a cantilever arm and would eventually break the hitch.

-My thoughts if it would be considered a liability by adding a standard 2 inch receiver is to construct a custom receiver that will only accept the bike racks or other popular options and not be able to accept standard 2 inch receivers. To make this option feasible a partnership would have to be established that would allow reasonable pricing on the option and the custom Hitch receiver accessories so as to not turn potential customers away from the option.

Good points Dave and likely spot-on. Note too that when adapters and extenders are used, one must derate the the hitch capacity by 50% (from what I've read on some adapters/extenders)

TXBobcat

Fulltime

No to 1 1/4" but yes to 2"...

I put a 2" receiver on my pin box and it works fantastic. Have had a lot of people look at it and take photos of it. Thanks to Terry H... I think he invented it..

BC

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Considered doing this, but had a few concerns with it.
1) getting the bikes up and down. You would have to have the pickup there to load and unload them.
2) the bugs splattered all over them going down the road
3) the appearance going down the highway would take away from that big beautiful front end of the Landmark 365
4) when it's sitting along side my house the bikes would be sticking up over the fence in plane site. So I would have to remove them every time I came home.
So I chose to install the 2" on the back and it's working perfectly.
No to 1 1/4" but yes to 2"...

I put a 2" receiver on my pin box and it works fantastic. Have had a lot of people look at it and take photos of it. Thanks to Terry H... I think he invented it..

BC

Bohemian

Another new type of hitch mount for no reason other than making it incompatable with a standard known mount? I don't really like this idea. Would not buy it. Function and standards first. Limit liability with a label on the hitch.

ksucats

I would like a 2 inch hitch option - the smaller is just too weak. That said I did see a Landmark this past weekend (well actually two weekends ago now - time is flying by) that had a double 2" hitch assembly with a basket back there for his bikes and what looked like an ice cooler. Didn't notice much bounce but sure wondered about the weight that far back from the fulcrum point.

paulh

I am not a fan of the 1 1/4" hitch for any purpose and preferred having a custom 2" receiver built for our bike rack. I would recommend the Road Master "Quiet Hitch" anti-rattle device that removes all the play between the bike rack and receiver. I also have a second 2" Quiet Hitch on my truck's receiver for boat & utility trailer hitch use - they really work well.