Tank Heaters

RVFun4Us

Quick question. Just purchased our 3270RS Bighorn. Saw on a data sheet (not specific to my rig) that tank heaters were included in the Standard package. Yet I do not see anything in my rig that would indicate that I have them and my own rig's standard and option list does not show them. Are they only included in the Yeti package?

Bob

RVFun4Us

Thanks Dan. Figured that but maybe Heartland should remove it from a standard package list if so. Or at least clarify that it is part of the Yeti package only.

danemayer

Thanks Dan. Figured that but maybe Heartland should remove it from a standard package list if so. Or at least clarify that it is part of the Yeti package only.

Where do you see tank heaters as part of a standard package list?

RVFun4Us

Dan,

Well I have searched high and low on my computer and cannot find it now. If I do, I will send to you. So disregard. I either mis-interpreted what I read or dreamed it maybe. Thanks.

Bob

RVFun4Us

OK Dan. Found what I read. It is in the Bighorn brochure. 2nd page of brochure shows the options which include the Yeti extreme weather package. The 3rd page of the brochure shows "Standards". Look at the Underbelly sub-items and it says: "Heated and insulated holding tanks & gate valves". It also says, "Heated and enclosed underbelly" so don't think the second item negates the first. Glad I found it. Was beginning to think I had imagined it. Enclosed those two pages of the brochure.View attachment 3270RS Brochure 2.pdfView attachment 3270RS brochure 1.pdf

Bob

Attachments

• 3270RS Brochure 2.pdf
    996.2 KB · Views: 16

danemayer

Bob,

I think I found what you may have seen and I would say it could lead you to think that tank heating pads are standard equipment.

• Heated and enclosed underbelly
  • Heated and Insulated holding tanks & gate valves

But I'm pretty sure that it means that the tanks and gate valves are heated from the furnace by virtue of the heated and enclosed underbelly. There are 2 tipoffs that it's not tank heating pads: 1) I don't think Heartland has ever shipped gate valve heating pads as standard equipment or as an option, and 2) the Yeti Package is still shown as an option. If tank heating pads were standard, offering the Yeti Package wouldn't make sense.

RVFun4Us

Looks like we were both working on the same thing. The Yeti package probably has more to it than just tank heating pads though.

danemayer

Yeti Package includes tank heating pads, heat tape on the underbelly portion of the fresh water tank feed line to the pump, and extra foil insulation. While the heated underbelly may protect the plumbing from mild sub-freezing temps, the Yeti Package will protect the plumbing in much colder weather.

For really extreme weather, I'd suggest reviewing our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide.

RVFun4Us

Thanks Dan for the information but still think the brochure is misleading and should be reworded to clarify what they actually mean. If I misread it, I think other people would too.

Bob

lwmcguire

Yeti Package includes tank heating pads, heat tape on the underbelly portion of the fresh water tank feed line to the pump, and extra foil insulation. While the heated underbelly may protect the plumbing from mild sub-freezing temps, the Yeti Package will protect the plumbing in much colder weather.

For really extreme weather, I'd suggest reviewing our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide.

The guide is well written with a lot of thought going into it. I printed a copy and keep it in the Augusta in the book with all the other manuals.

PALTeam

Past Indiana Chapter Leaders
We ordered a 2016 Cyclone with the cold weather package, and would like to test the tank heaters to make sure they're working before we need them.

Anybody got any ideas on how?

By the way, we also ordered the dual pane windows, and they really do make a difference in summer, cuts the heat by 70% at least. Haven't really tried them in cold weather yet.

danemayer

We ordered a 2016 Cyclone with the cold weather package, and would like to test the tank heaters to make sure they're working before we need them.

Anybody got any ideas on how?

By the way, we also ordered the dual pane windows, and they really do make a difference in summer, cuts the heat by 70% at least. Haven't really tried them in cold weather yet.

I don't think there's any simple way to test them.

mlpeloquin

If you have a Progressive Surge Protector, turn the heaters on and monitor the current increase. Record the difference. If the current increase ever decrease, one of the heaters may have opened up and stopped working. Make sure to have some water in the tanks or you will melt them.

PALTeam

I don't think there's any simple way to test them.

We have an appointment at Tiarra RV in Elkhart, IN, our dealer, for warranty work next Wednesday. They said they can turn the tank heaters on and check them with a meter. Will let you know how that goes.

GWRam

Quick question. Just purchased our 3270RS Bighorn. Saw on a data sheet (not specific to my rig) that tank heaters were included in the Standard package. Yet I do not see anything in my rig that would indicate that I have them and my own rig's standard and option list does not show them. Are they only included in the Yeti package?

Bob

Bob, You may want to call Heartland, maybe even have your VIN when you call. Our Gateway which is below your Bighorn in the Heartland heirarchy comes standard with tank heaters. If we have them, standard, I can't imagine a Bighorn would not. Heartland could let you know for sure. Oh and by the way, at least on our unit the single switch which turns on all 5 heaters was unlabeled.

PALTeam

If you have a Progressive Surge Protector, turn the heaters on and monitor the current increase. Record the difference. If the current increase ever decrease, one of the heaters may have opened up and stopped working. Make sure to have some water in the tanks or you will melt them.

Good thought, thanks!

RVFun4Us

GWRam - Good thought but I do not see any switches inside the rig, labeled or unlabeled, that might connect to the heaters. Guess they just made it a part of the Yeti package only.

Bob

GWRam

GWRam - Good thought but I do not see any switches inside the rig, labeled or unlabeled, that might connect to the heaters. Guess they just made it a part of the Yeti package only.

Bob

I just looked at the online brochure for your unit. Since it lists heated underbelly and heated tanks as two separate bullet points I would have expected your tanks to have heater pads. The online brochure for our unit specifically says heater pads on tanks.

I haven't found yet what the Yeti package specifically includes. Sure it is there I just haven't found it yet.